Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #171

There was originally a rivet from the factory. I would have fixed, if I new it was going to cost that, at home. I was 223 miles from home and had used a screwdriver... so I could use the steps.

retrax/GPI/AFE
Bustedflush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #172

FOLLOW_UP::needless to say it will be few an far between visits to the dealer.....

retrax/GPI/AFE
Old 05-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #173
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedflush View Post
FOLLOW_UP::needless to say it will be few an far between visits to the dealer.....
Would suggest you drill the rest of them out and put in 5/16" gr 8 bolts, flat washers & nyloc nuts in the rest of the pivots.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would suggest you drill the rest of them out and put in 5/16" gr 8 bolts, flat washers & nyloc nuts in the rest of the pivots.
The whole point of this thread is....... Why in the cat hair should he have to do this? Why is this done this way instead of done so it won't fail? I paid good money to go camping, not to have a constant repair project. If I wanted to have to constantly fix what should have been done right the first time, I would have just built my own...

How much would it really cost to get the manufacturer to slow down just a touch and pay attention to detail during construction? Would it make a $25,000- unit cost $27,500-, or $30,000-? If I could be sure it was worth the extra bucks not to have to screw around fixing what some guy missed because he was just too rushed... I'd pay it. Unfortunately, I can't be sure... and that's a shame.

Extended warranty??? Surely you jest! It doesn't matter how good and ironclad a warranty is if you have to keep taking your unit in for repair, you're not going to be happy with it. This is especially true the way RV dealers seem to be these days. The terrible service reputation is why I work on my own trailer, but I shouldn't have to do that especially in the warranty period. But we keep buyin' 'em, so they keep slappin' 'em together.

Again...... this is not a Forest River problem... it's industry wide.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #175

We have owned 2 Terrys & Two Pumas The 1973 Terry was built structurally the same (simular) to the 2013 But many improvements over the years like the 73 had copper piping, no slideouts, 1 combined waste tank, no stereo, no rubber roof, etc. But we enjoyed it just the same. The 2006 & the 2013 Forest River / Palomino Pumas have needed NO major work just our personal improvements. Not high end trailers but have been very good quality.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #176
Workamper wanna-be!

Gosh, y'all are making me nervous! We just ordered a 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21RS. The dealer says it will be 4-6 weeks for delivery. This is our first RV and sure hoping ours has some decent level of quality. We did look at some of the other Coachmen Freelander Motorhomes, and didn't see anything that looked like poor workmanship. But I guess you really have to use it and spend some time in it before you really know.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky60 View Post
Gosh, y'all are making me nervous! We just ordered a 2016 Coachmen Freelander 21RS. The dealer says it will be 4-6 weeks for delivery. This is our first RV and sure hoping ours has some decent level of quality. We did look at some of the other Coachmen Freelander Motorhomes, and didn't see anything that looked like poor workmanship. But I guess you really have to use it and spend some time in it before you really know.
Not trying to make you nervous BUT... there has been a lot of consolidation in the last few years. I been rving since 1979 and there was great selection. all lot of the towable units are no longer made and manufactures
consolidate more an more. Manufactures go out of business get sucked up by others/ quality suffers IMO
retrax/GPI/AFE
Old 05-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #178

I spent about 3 hours yesterday, looking at 2 brands that are on my short list. I looked at 8 Solaire Eclipse trailers and 3 Gulf Breeze Champagne models. First of all... Manufacturers claims of higher quality in some brands should be disregarded... I found 2 of the Solaire trailers to appear to have been very well built. One more of them I would have bought without hesitation, but the other 5... too many problems I could see with just a short examination. The Gulf Breeze trailers looked like they were going to be better, but they really were no better than the 3 good Solaires. There were problems in every trailer I looked at. I find that disturbing. I looked at 11 trailers and found none of them without defect. I spoke to a salesman and the sales manager abut getting one of the Gulf Breeze models repaired before the sale. Their reply was a disappointing... "We don't do it that way. If you buy the trailer, we'll fix what ever is wrong with it under warranty." I replied, "I won't buy a trailer with known issues, so if you want to sell me a trailer, you'll have to get it in top shape first. I won't buy a trailer and let you keep it for a big part of the warranty period waiting for parts." The sales manager just looked at me curiously for about 10 seconds, and walked away. I told the salesman that I'd be looking for another job if I got no more support than that. He said he was already looking... Amazing... When you buy a new car or truck, they have a make-ready group that goes through it, washes and cleans it, and delivers it. Many do this before they get out on the lot. Others wait until there's a deal cooking on it but get that done while the deal's working. However, there are fewer issues with new vehicles than new RVs. Another possibility is that the dealer may not be able to get paid for warranty repairs before the sale. If that's the case... they need to communicate that to someone that demands it to be fixed before beginning negotiations. I'm still looking at 3 other brands and I haven't been able to look at any of them up close in the last few days. Tomorrow I'll get to look at the Grand Design Reflection and possibly the Winn-Ultra Lite. The one time I got to look at the Grand Design trailers, I was impressed with fit and finish, and overall quality. The one time I got to look at Jayco Eagle... they were about equal to the Solaire and Gulf Stream in number of small defects. I haven't gotten an up-close look at the Winnebagos at all. No hurry... this is the year of the new well and landscaping... Next year is the new trailer year... and retirement...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
We had 3 starcraft popups 71,77,84 that were very good. 4 tt's that were very good, 2010 flagstaff, 2000 sunline, 1995fleetwood prowler and 1991 coachman. Our 1989 Mallard and 2006 holiday rambler were totally junk. Our only 5'r, a 1999 wildwood was so bad we only kept it 10 months.
I grew up in a 1967 Apache pop up. Dad was so proud he was smart enough to buy an aluminum trailer with nothing on the inside but the beds. No appliances, bath or AC. I still have her. Refurbished except the beds are not complete yet. I should have been happy and not bought the 2nd one.
2015 Shasta Reissue Airflyte 16'
Devilchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #180

Today I repaired the closet doors in the bedroom. They have a pushpin at the bottom front that must be engaged when the trailer is in motion. When we did the walk through on the RV there were no holes under the doors for the push pins to go in. While we were closing the tech, along with some other things, moved the bottom felt lined channel for the doors back and fashioned a matching block of wood with the required hole and put them in front of the factory channel. After having gotten the trailer back from having some other problems addressed I decided to close the closet doors to see how they looked closed. When I did it became apparent the moving the channels back allows the bottom of the doors to flop into the closet when the doors are closed. So what should have happened is there should have been a hole made in the channel in its original position, which is what I just finished doing.

I would have to say that all of the problems that we've had are not because of design or engineering, but because the people putting the unit together just didn't care. Well, there is the incompatibility of the dishwasher with the generator inverter.

Tags
quality