Old 05-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #181
DDC

Isn't it an oxymoron putting RV and Quality in the same sentence.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The whole point of this thread is....... Why in the cat hair should he have to do this? Why is this done this way instead of done so it won't fail? I paid good money to go camping, not to have a constant repair project. If I wanted to have to constantly fix what should have been done right the first time, I would have just built my own...

How much would it really cost to get the manufacturer to slow down just a touch and pay attention to detail during construction? Would it make a $25,000- unit cost $27,500-, or $30,000-? If I could be sure it was worth the extra bucks not to have to screw around fixing what some guy missed because he was just too rushed... I'd pay it. Unfortunately, I can't be sure... and that's a shame.

Extended warranty??? Surely you jest! It doesn't matter how good and ironclad a warranty is if you have to keep taking your unit in for repair, you're not going to be happy with it. This is especially true the way RV dealers seem to be these days. The terrible service reputation is why I work on my own trailer, but I shouldn't have to do that especially in the warranty period. But we keep buyin' 'em, so they keep slappin' 'em together.

Again...... this is not a Forest River problem... it's industry wide.
To answer the main question a $25000 unit will cost you $33000 to $35000 for quality. Would you want to trade what you have today for the same unit no problems, they exist if you really want I one and in your price point! Be the same floor plan, odds and ends a little different but same over all assuming it is not a fifth wheel. If it is a fifth wheel add another 3k as it will not be a mass produced Lipert frame.

I do not see it as worth it but if you do please go buy one!

X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Isn't it an oxymoron putting RV and Quality in the same sentence.
Only if the word "good" precedes quality, but that's just me.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #184

I sold my 35' 1997 Mobile Scout TT for my 2014 42' new Columbus toy hauler. The only issue I ever had with my 35' Mobile Scout was the water pump quit took me 15 min. to put new one in. Not one other issue. Now My new 2014 Columbus had quit a few issues that I had to fix because the dealer didn't and couldn't I'm glad the 2 yr. warranty was free to me cause it's not worth much when the dealers can't fix what they sell. LOL The issues were poor installation of slide, heater ducting, Flat Screen TV, a couple cabnet draws, generator fuel line, battery compartment, both door seals, trailer brakes, water line leaks, roof caulking, toy hauler garage door seal, this just to name a few issues I have fixed all do to improperly installed components. Chaulks up to no quality control. There isn't anything on it I can't fix but I shouldn't have had to either. We love the rig now thanks to me.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
To answer the main question a $25000 unit will cost you $33000 to $35000 for quality. Would you want to trade what you have today for the same unit no problems, they exist if you really want I one and in your price point! Be the same floor plan, odds and ends a little different but same over all assuming it is not a fifth wheel. If it is a fifth wheel add another 3k as it will not be a mass produced Lipert frame.

I do not see it as worth it but if you do please go buy one!
The main question is really... Can I buy quality for more money... the answer seems to be... maybe, but probably not. Are you willing to gamble even MORE and come away with the same crap? They all have the same appliances, axles, frames, wall laminations, etc... How did someone convince you that for $10K more you're getting better quality? I'm looking really hard right now and I am NOT seeing it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #186
DDC

Then maybe they should come with a label that reads 'more assembly may be required'.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #187

The label should read ; fixing our assembly is required for we have no quality checks, buy at your own risk.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #188

Quote:
The main question is really... Can I buy quality for more money... the answer seems to be... maybe, but probably not. Are you willing to gamble even MORE and come away with the same crap? They all have the same appliances, axles, frames, wall laminations, etc... How did someone convince you that for $10K more you're getting better quality? I'm looking really hard right now and I am NOT seeing it.
You can buy RVs made of higher quality materials and components but the lack of quality control seems the same all the way across the price spectrum. My Aviator MSRP listed at 88K and was full of QC problems initially. I resolved all the problems myself and now have a rock solid trailer because of the upgraded materials it was originally built with.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #189

I have had quality problems with the MB part of the Solera. (6k). MB has been responsive and taken care of my problems.(all computer related). What I have difficulty with understanding is how the Solera was allowed to go out the door with a totally inadequate rear suspension. Has anyone handled the MB SHOCKS?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #190

Quote:
You need to look harder as it does not exist at 99% of the RV dealers your going to look at. It may not even exist at 99.9% as most only carry one of two product lines, Thor or Forrest River.

No one convinced me of anything. I can fix a lot of stuff for 10k if I ever need to and was not willing to travel the distance needed to look at higher end models. But I will not say they do not exist, they are just not for my price point or lifestyle!

On another note another ma&pa RV builder just went out of business a couple weeks back. Built basic RVs, tough and strong but lacked some of the flare you get from the mass produced RVs. They were a fair bit heavier and cost more and for some reason we're a tough sell.

X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality