Old 01-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #11

those of us poor folks can only buy what we can't afford, if I could afford better junk then i would have bought better, I guess we could not buy at all and stay home, but we want to travel also, and the way we can afford to is to buy what we have to to have a little fun

hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
those of us poor folks can only buy what we can't afford, if I could afford better junk then i would have bought better, I guess we could not buy at all and stay home, but we want to travel also, and the way we can afford to is to buy what we have to to have a little fun
X2. I guess we have a right to grumble, but then a lot of us will go right back out and buy what we can afford all over again. I know I don't have $400K to spend, but, dang, I just went & bought a new fiver! And I'm not new to this!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We went to the Cleveland, OH RV show this weekend, and while there are a lot of good units out there, after the purchase of our first TT last spring (at the show) there are a lot of things now to look for. (I am a Quality Director for a major global chemical company, so Quality is my business).

while I realize I'm not buying a 300K home and can't have input on the details of construction of an RV, still there are simple construction quality areas that are universally overlooked by almost all manufacturers. Particularily in the lower end models. If attention to detail in those models would be paid, there would be a greater customer satisfaction, as that is the market that is most serviced. Things as cabinet construction, cabinet and door hinges, door alignment, etc. While these may be minor, it's the attention to details that makes the customer's life easier and not subject to agrivations that makes the difference between being satisfied or not.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #14

I hear you when you say "we buy what we can afford". I am not rich by financial means. The lower-end market is where almost all RVers start. In a way, that's where we gain the most experience at camping, and unfortunately at fixing our own RVs. I can't afford to spend my dollars paying for someone that's less handy than myself to change out a pump, or attempt to fix my wiring, etc. It seems to me that the industry would serve itself better if they would bring the initial quality up a notch or two to entice people to continue to upgrade, and stay in RVing. The guys that added my power tongue jack did a poor job of it, and I rewired it when I got it home... when it was new. My unit isn't expensive, and the quality shows it. That being said, it hasn't had any major problems... all minor stuff. However, it's just now 3 years old. I wonder what it's going to be like in another 3 years. I do all I can. It's in covered storage, and winterized properly, kept clean, etc... but I expect something major to go bad sometime soon.

Some of the folks at the show looked at me a little funny when I didn't go inside anything until I had looked at the slide mechanisms and seals, etc. Nor could they answer any of my questions about frame material, flooring structure, etc... I was sad to see vinyl-covered woodwork in some more expensive TT units. The new solid-surface countertops are nice, but it looked like they scrimped elsewhere to make up for the extra cost. I had to change out my plastic kitchen sink for a stainless one last year, The cost of the stainless sink was less than the plastic one... for me at least... by a bit more than $100-.

I have a couple of friends that have owned one TT, and swear they will never own another. This is due to ruined vacations with new units. I was fortunate, I guess. I've said it before... I guess mine was thrown together on a Wednesday. I lived in it for 7 weeks by myself, when my job moved us here from Amarillo. Then Dee and I stayed in it for another week while we were having our belongings moved into the new house. I didn't have any problems with it at all, other than needing a second A/C unit in the Texas heat.

I survived the RV show... more importantly... I survived getting home because I just didn't see anything that would compel me to spend money and trade up. So, maybe the industry did me a favor. I didn't have to come in and ask... "It followed me home... can I keep it?"

Your mileage may vary... but there are many too negatives posted here and elsewhere about RV quality... It's a shame if the industry doesn't monitor these boards and see what the buying public really thinks. Maybe they're smart enough to do that but as long as they're profitable... and apparently they are... they won't care.

Just my take on it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:49 AM   #15

I am ready to buy a new cedar creek 38rd fifth wheel but after reading so many neg reviews about the quality of forest river products not anymore.... anybody have problems with cedar creek fifth wheels?????
Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #16

So far, we've had two PUPs (one Jayco, and now a Rockwood High Wall), and though we have had some minor problems, we don't put any of them down to the quality of the units. We camp mostly in Forest Service 'grounds, and go over some pretty rough roads to get there, so when, for example, we knock out a stab jack, the solution is to have the unit raised. (The FRs have the torsion axle, so flipping is right out.) We have had no trouble with cabinetry, floors - not even canvas or window plastics. No problems with the roof or the slide out (though one of the locks came off, and we are a bit peeved that the part we ordered to replace it hasn't come in after a month) or the beds. The locks work, the Velcro's stayed where it's supposed to, there've been no leaks. The toilet works, the door works. The raise-it-up motor came disconnected once, but was pretty easy to fix and didn't bother our trip at all.

The table has gotten a little wobbly, but we put those cane-end thingies on kitty-corner legs, and it's fine now. There's a teeny bit of table-scrape on the slide-out, but we consider these to be cosmetic issues, and put it down to the bouncing and jostling the trailer endures several times a year. We're pretty satisfied with both Jayco and FR - and we're looking forward to being able to get the Mini Lite 2304 at the end of this season.
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #17

Like so many posts, the folks that have good luck with trailers say nothing....I hope I am in the say nothing group, as I have a FR 5 er and no real complaints in 3 yrs....I bought new and anything wrong with unit, all minor stuff....FR addressed it promptly and made sure anything that was done in construction was taken care of....after 3 yrs of living in the unit over 50% of the time all still fine....have wintered in Fla, Tx and NC

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Back in October this interview with Peter Liegl was in RV business. (Page 73)
Per Liegl said "business is utterly phenomenal. 4 billion in sales versus last years 3 billion."
Hopefully they will reinvest some of that in quality.
RVBusiness, September-October 2014
No Question. The economy is roaring like crazy. Cheap money and plentiful jobs = Americans spending. I tired to find the pop up I wanted and was not able to locate one within 500 miles. I had to order one sight unseen. Bought based on an old picture. Took months to come in because the factory was so busy.

The problem with the whole quality question is that people really just do not want to pay for quality. Try shopping for quality furniture made out of wood. Good luck. Economists call this the Walmart effect. It is basically a race to the bottom. Europeans think we are crazy how Americans will constantly buy crap only to replace it all over again in a few years.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #19

I will second what Ash and Sail mentioned. I have had no major problems with either of my FR units.

I guess I have a different attitude when it comes to my camper as I basically feel my pop up is a glorified tent on wheels and I have low expectations. The unit retails for around $22K so I am not into it that much. If I had spent $200K, I think I would have a different attitude.

I will say that I find the quality to be adequate. I understand that the unit must be made with an eye towards saving weight. This has to cause quality issues because lightweight materials are less durable than heavy steel items (Carbon and other new age materials aside). It is the durability that most complain about. I also understand that these units are not really engineered towards the full time RV'r either. I think the manufacturers expect about 30 days a year of usage for the average family. How many days can a working stiff get off a year anyhow? They just do not make them like a house.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #20
Tinkerer and Putterer

If folks are unhappy with the quality of new rigs and they expect them to fall apart in X number of years, then why not buy an older unit with the floor plan you like and rip through it rewiring and refitting as you go? As long as the outer shell is solid it seems to me that this would be a good way to get what you want without breaking the bank. The kicker here is that you would need to get creative in your choice of hardware likely working with plumbers, electricians, welders, cabinet makers and trade workers to get parts made that match up with your expectations. Staying away from the dealers that will likely install the same materials you're unhappy about currently. Manufacturers cannot spend the time needed to make the light weight custom items that will keep the weight down and give folks the "quality" they are looking for. For that matter once folks start in on making changes I think they'll find that the same is true for their rebuild but at least you can pick and choose your changes

Tags
quality