Old 07-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #201
In 2009 Forest River did not have a fifth wheel to compare to a Thor grand junction both loaded just not comparable I don't know about now but I think my new Sunseeker is more comparable to old Coachman if you have been around rv's for awhile you understand what I'm saying

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

i2015 sunseeker 3050s. 2007 saturn aura
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #202
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Isn't it an oxymoron putting RV and Quality in the same sentence.

2015 Ram 1500 5.7 V8
2014 Rockwood 2703WS
Days Camped in 2016: 34 (A New Record!!)
ejknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 AM   #203
Its the same with all manufactures. And the problem is us the consumer. If we buy the crap they will build it. Its the Wall-mart mentality. I see people travel 1000 miles to save 5% on and rv.

I sell/service a/c units in the Jersey shore area- York (an a/c manufacture ) made a unit called the survivor, all plastic outer skin so it would not rust- all copper coils and fins so the salt air would not hurt it. The consumer wanted something that would last! They got it- it was 25%-35% more we sold non! York made them for 2 years then stopped.

I have a Keystone product looking a Berkshire class A- why $$. But my friend has a $350K + class a with tons of problems- so spending more does not always help.

One thing I do agree on is this industry needs to be pushed harder on standing behind its products.
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #204
I have read through this entire thread and it does damper my enthusiasim for purchasing a new rig. I own a 2005 Leprechaun and it's been a solid unit for the most part.
In the class c world you always have the Lazy Daze option. A quality rv that you will pay for. Their factory direct prices are every bit the msrp of the mass produced units with much fewer of the bells and whistles that you are seeing on the dealers lots.
Which is the key to their quality I believe. No slide outs or automatic leveling jacks are offered. No fire places and no tv's that pop up out of the counter top. Nothing elaborate going on here just a rock solid unit hand built with quality materials.
They got rid of all the problem areas or more specifically items that they can't really quality control.

A 31 footer will run you just over a $100K. So then it comes down to will you pay for the quality for basically a stripped down version of what the mass producers are offering?
I can't say I have seen one in any of the places we stayed this year or even on the road for that matter so maybe that answers the question.
I think people want their slide outs, automatic leveling jacks and the rest of the candy to choose from and will work through the sub par quality issues to have it.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #205
I dunno we do not have all the bells & whistles but our $15K Puma and our $29K 36' Puma 5th wheels have have been basically trouble free.......... You always hear the bad & rarely the good...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #206
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
And...before you toss a stone at Forest River quality - take a look at the so-called premium brands QC...

NHTSA Report: List of Recent RV-Related Recalls | RV Business
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #207
BamaBob and all... I've said all along that it's an industry-wide problem, and not just Forest River. Yes, we hear about the problems, and there are trouble-free units out there... a lot of them. They will not be trouble-free for very long, because the quality of the materials and workmanship just isn't there. I have a 49-year-old guitar that's in pristine condition, despite having been played a lot. It'll be in great condition when my grandson is my age... but it's made of only the best stuff, not hurriedly, by real craftsmen. My RV is trouble free right now... oh, no... it's got some problems that have to be fixed before I use it, but they're minor. So, it's nearly trouble-free. But FR didn't make it that way... I had to. That's the part that isn't right. It's not made with the same level of quality materials and craftsmanship as my old guitar... and that's good. It would cost more than an Airstream if it was.

However, there is a level of acceptability that most RV manufacturers never reach. Why should they? We're going out and buying them with a plethora of problems. Then we let the dealer's techs supposedly fix them and keep them for months while we argue with the dealer and manufacturer as to who pays for the repair that never should have been necessary. Then they break 3 things trying to fix 1, and the repair process/argument begins yet again, in earnest... Or... we just bite the bullet and fix stuff ourselves.

So... no... you don't hear much about the good ones. But believe me, the folks having problems after plunking down serious bucks are going to sound off... and rightly so.
J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #208
I mentioned Lazy Daze in my earlier post. I spent a good deal of time looking at their web site and model offerings after which I sent them a email inquiring about lead time and asked them to explain their reasoning for not offering slide outs or automatic levelers.
The lead time is 18 months wait for a new 31' Lazy Daze. They answered the slide out and automatic leveler question with one word. Reliability.

So what Lazy Daze is really saying is we don't manufacture slide outs ourselves and whats out there from vendors is not up to standards. To Lazy Daze standards anyhow.
So quality really has to start with all the suppliers. They need to produce a better product to supply the manufacturers before you will see a overall shift in quality off the assembly line.
As they say, junk in, junk out.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #209
My parents had three Lazy Daze motor homes in a 15 year period. Each one of them was a fine unit with almost no issues. If I were in the market for a class C, I would go through the hassles involved and get a Lazy Daze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #210
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
My parents had three Lazy Daze motor homes in a 15 year period. Each one of them was a fine unit with almost no issues. If I were in the market for a class C, I would go through the hassles involved and get a Lazy Daze
If I could find a slightly used one in a 31' island bed floor plan I would certainly consider it. Might be a hard sell to the wife with no slide outs though. Curious, why did your parents have 3 in 15 years? It's not like you have a lot of different floor plans to choose from?