Old 11-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
I don't know how the Dutch Star is now but in 2004 -2006 they were way overpriced not built any better than
Fleetwood or Tiffin did not have as many standard features looked at them but got a better coach both times I bought something else

Not ready yet, but if buying today, serious consideration to Winnebago Grand Tour.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #232

No matter what model, if you by another new unit chances are you will be right back where you started with a large list of corrections. If you buy a high end model made with better materials at least when you're done with the corrections you should have something solid. When the main two engineering principals are light and cheap you know what you will end up with. If I wasn't happy with my Aviator I have no Idea what I would buy.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #233

I'm considering a Winnebago Ultra Lite TT. It's tied at the top of my list with Grand Design Reflection and a Jayco Eagle. Grand Design has only 2 floor plans so they are slipping... If I didn't need the space, I'd stick with what I have... but 6 grand children in 5 years... and Grammy wants a bunk model... so... Here we go again...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #234

After multiple emails and calls nothing has yet to be resolved. My attorney is the next call, as I am not getting anywhere with Forest River Diesel.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Randy & Hammer,

IGray, while I agree that Georgetown is a lower price point, Forest River is committed to quality. Things happen, as the OP said, in ALL RV makes and models. I also disagree with your belief that Forest River Motorhomes are lower quality than other manufacturers. The Berkshire line - especially the Tag Axel XLT is a direct competitor with a Newmar Dutch Star. We have researched the XLT extensively, have taken a factory tour, and spoke to Berkshire senior managers. This will definitely be our next Motorhome when we retire in 2 years.

After multiple emails and calls nothing has yet to be resolved. My attorney is the next call, as I am not getting anywhere with Forest River Diesel.

??????
Old 11-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #236

Just as I said, I have had no luck getting warranty work to start, my other posts were of 2 months old now and after numerous emails and calls I can't seem to get my unit in for repairs. Mitch Wirt was handling this, supposed to set up a time to get repairs done. I have owned this unit 6 months and what a real work of art this is. Since the main man at Forest River Diesel can't get things resolved I prefer the old fashioned way and have my attorney contact them. It's sad to have to do business this way.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eqdawg87 View Post
Just as I said, I have had no luck getting warranty work to start, my other posts were of 2 months old now and after numerous emails and calls I can't seem to get my unit in for repairs. Mitch Wirt was handling this, supposed to set up a time to get repairs done. I have owned this unit 6 months and what a real work of art this is. Since the main man at Forest River Diesel can't get things resolved I prefer the old fashioned way and have my attorney contact them. It's sad to have to do business this way.

I have a '14 390fl also. I might have missed it, but what kind of issues are you having?

Rich
Old 11-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
I have a '14 390fl also. I might have missed it, but what kind of issues are you having?

Rich
started with new, the hydraulic pump took a crap, guy from hydraulics sent me a new motor. the shower where it hooks to hardware in hidden wall flooded bedroom. The water heater doesn't work correctly and leaks. Tightened fitting several times and loosens right back up. Same with ice maker line.
Living room slide went up into ceiling and did a number on the whole slide. It's tweaked bad. There is a brace above table to support wall. It's separated. Slide wont close now in center. You can run your fingers all the way up over half the slide. Leaks in outside tv compartment, tv and radio don't like water me thinks.
Main concern is the slide, its bowed pretty bad and when it went up into ceiling it busted the solid wood backer. Just flops around now.
As I said in earlier post I have remorse from the RV industry. I traded a 2012 Thor Serrano on this unit thinking I was getting better rig. My 07 Georgetown gasser actually beats those 2 hands down in quality. I don't believe trading this Bershire in on a Charleston will be any benefit as I looked at the quality in those units while mine was in shop. 4 of them I looked at and the churn on these units is too fast. The quality control is lacking and I am at a point now where I have asked to get into the factory to get my unit fixed. Seems they are doing everything in their power to not let it in.
The chassis is fine, it's the coach end that is horrid. So as of today I am winterizing and going to contact my attorney with the list of stuff needed fixed. I can't deal with folks that just don't want to be bothered. The couch didn't fit correctly and material wore out in short order. They took the couch out the drivers window and now it rattles bad. minor scratches and chips and paint flaking. Seals around outside storage, most leak air and water.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #239

Again, I'm new to this RV thing but wanted to make a couple more quick comments.

- I agree with JL that all the process improvements would indeed increase reliability and quality out the door. I was inferring that perhaps FR (I've not been in their plant) or other manufactures don't have any of these processes in place. Or, if they do, they aren't being run well. I really can't understand how obvious malfunctions make it out the door. A great opportunity for some consultants I know!

- I'm believe at least my Georgetown, and maybe FR, are the lesser expensive units in this market. Kind of like the Kia of the auto industry (without having the 10 year warranty) as compared to a Lexus. If that's the case, I'm okay with that but it still doesn't address all the malfunctions out the door. However, I've never heard of Kia owners having doors that don't close, heaters that aren't connected,...

- I just returned from picking up my RV from the list of issues I had. In talking with the Technician and Manager, they agreed that many of the parts used in production are indeed of lower quality and always need replacing. FR has to be hearing all these complaints. I wonder if all this is just new or has been going on for some time. Or, it's part of a grand marketing plan to keep owners coming back into their shops and showrooms to have us buy new. 😀

- For those of you trying to get into the factory direct for repairs, I too was told they were booked out for about 4 months! I found a local dealer near them who looks to have done a nice job with my repairs. They even told me that FR offloads repairs to them as the backlog is so high. (I'm not sure if a high warranty backlog is a good thing).

In summary, I'll be giving my RV and FR another chance after all these items now seem to be repaired in this round.

Safe travels to all.

Randy & Sharon
RV'rs as of 2015
G-town XL 369 w/ wrangler hanging on the back!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'm considering a Winnebago Ultra Lite TT. It's tied at the top of my list with Grand Design Reflection and a Jayco Eagle. Grand Design has only 2 floor plans so they are slipping... If I didn't need the space, I'd stick with what I have... but 6 grand children in 5 years... and Grammy wants a bunk model... so... Here we go again...
Sounds like you've got some decisions to make. We traded our bunkhouse once the kids were grown for our retirement camper. Putting the kids in a bunkhouse bedroom is the way to go so I understand what you're thinking. But even if we have grand kids I'm not giving up our trailer, I've put in way too much work to start over again. The kids can sleep in a tent!

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality