Old 11-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoRandy View Post
- I'm believe at least my Georgetown, and maybe FR, are the lesser expensive units in this market. Kind of like the Kia of the auto industry (without having the 10 year warranty) as compared to a Lexus. If that's the case, I'm okay with that but it still doesn't address all the malfunctions out the door. However, I've never heard of Kia owners having doors that don't close, heaters that aren't connected,...

- I just returned from picking up my RV from the list of issues I had. In talking with the Technician and Manager, they agreed that many of the parts used in production are indeed of lower quality and always need replacing.
I don't believe that to be the case. My opinion is from a towable perspective but having had a FR product followed by 2 Thor products, an Aerolite and Keystone Passport, I can confirm they are all the same level of QC and material quality. I have seen my share of falling apart Jaycos also. So who does that leave? As far as the poster mentioning Winnebago, not much of a quality increase there either. At least not enough to justify the higher pricing going from the ones I have looked at close. A 75K Airstream still has some of the same UV susceptible plastic exterior items as my 18K Passport did. I realize its a much larger deal if you have a 200K MH but still.

The entire industry uses mostly temporary labor. Lippert components supplies most manufacturers with almost everything including towable frames. I once had seen a help wanted ad online, where Lippert components was looking for welders. No experience required, will train, $12 per hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoRandy View Post
- For those of you trying to get into the factory direct for repairs, I too was told they were booked out for about 4 months! I found a local dealer near them who looks to have done a nice job with my repairs. They even told me that FR offloads repairs to them as the backlog is so high. (I'm not sure if a high warranty backlog is a good thing).
That may apply to Georgetown but not necessarily other brands. One thing I noticed during the short time since I have joined this forum is people tend to group every issue under "Forest River", when every FR division operates as its own separate operation. Just because Georgetown has a factory warranty dept backlog, does not mean that Coachmen does, nor Rockwood or Palomino.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #242

Camper World had done all of my punch list to my complete satisfaction. All paid for by FR.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #243
Canadian Member

I admittedly know nothing about manufacturing but I'll throw out my observations.

Members here have been saying for years that the quality of the RV industry is at the same place as the domestic auto industry was in the 80's. That is, before the Japanese began importing vehicles in large numbers. Through the 80's and 90's, the Japanese quickly improved their quality while maintaining competitive pricing. I suggest that's what needs to happen in the RV industry. Competition from outside North America.

While they can produce a decent quality product, it's not a consistent, reliable quality - apparently even with MHs with six figure price tags.

The RV industry model does not mirror the automotive manufacturing and distribution model. I don't know if it should, but you'd think that RV manufacturers, if they had the will, could improve their internal quality processes and exert some leverage on their supply chain, dealers and delivery companies to do the same. Unfortunately, it's not evident that that's happening. I would also suggest that the dealers are at least as much a weak point in the entire chain as the manufacturers.

The manufacturers are obviously making lots of profit given that delivery times have gotten longer. Short of getting competition from outside North America, unless something happens on the demand side, nothing will change on the supply side.

As I said, I don't know anything about the RV manufacturing business, this is just my perception.

Personally, I've never bought a brand new trailer. I've had decent luck letting someone else work out the major bugs before I buy the unit at a substantial savings over new. I do the same thing when buying vehicles.

Now to be fair, it would be interesting to see some independent statistics on how many deficiency claims are attributable to the manufacturer vs. the number attributable to poor owner maintenance. Owner maintenance being as critical as it is, the dealers could do a lot better job of educating the consumer.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #244

dealers spend large amounts of time dealing with units delivered from the factory a mess . most new units that show up at dealers spend at least a day or two in the service dept getting finished
Old 11-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
dealers spend large amounts of time dealing with units delivered from the factory a mess . most new units that show up at dealers spend at least a day or two in the service dept getting finished
I have been told, by a very good source, that is part of the "dealer agreement" for certain manufacturers. The dealer is responsible for all final cleaning, adjustments, detailing etc.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #246

Nice summation itat....

Rich
Old 11-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #247
Just A Member

Before we bought are new TT this year we went to many RV shows and dealer lots and the one thing we were told from a RV dealership owner is that the build quality is decided by statistics. That the average RV owner only uses their RV 21 days a year and the average RV is only warrantied for 1 year. So they only need to build things to last on average 21 days. Also only top of the line 5vr's and class A motorhomes are designed to live in full time. I thought this was very telling of the RV industry.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I have been told, by a very good source, that is part of the "dealer agreement" for certain manufacturers. The dealer is responsible for all final cleaning, adjustments, detailing etc.
it goes way beyond that . slides that are broken or don't work at all / Ac wired incorrectly etc it all starts with the manufacture . most dealers clean the units and should only have to fix small item like a little chalking or vacuum up some debris . not finish building them etc
Old 11-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
it goes way beyond that . slides that are broken or don't work at all / Ac wired incorrectly etc it all starts with the manufacture . most dealers clean the units and should only have to fix small item like a little chalking or vacuum up some debris . not finish building them etc
I agree, but apparently the dealers keep putting up with it and some are much better at dealing with it than others. Some manufacturers are much better at the QC if not perfect, than others, and to take that further some divisions under the same corporate umbrella are much better than others. The proof of that is in this forum.

I know of two dealers who just walked out on manufacturers / brands. I won't mention the names because one is a FR brand. Became tired of dealing with the BS, initial quality, and warranty issues not being approved or paid for timely.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #250

Differences – today, I needed information regarding the location of a low point drain for a 2014 Winnebago Class C, went to their website and printed off a complete 7 page plumbing diagram for my specific coach ( all diagrams and parts available on-line, all models back to 1975). I still had a question and called the factory, call answered by a dedicated tech., who answered my question immediately.
There are many who claim that all manufactures have issues, not my experience with this one as I have never had it to the shop for anything. It is also easy to see very quickly just much better built it is than the 3 Forest River products I had prior to it.

This is probably why they have been in business since 1958.

When I replace my Forest River seasonal fiver someday, I will be looking hard at “other” manufactures.

Tags
quality