Old 02-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #41

I am of the oppinion that part of the problem is thecodes and (lack of) inspections of the builds.All RV builders carry a RVIA sticker. These Stickers mean that the builder "agrees" to produce thier product in accordance with RVIA standards.At no time does RVIA actually inspect units or moniter construction standards at the first person level. Some company workers attend RIVA workshops that show them how to build to thier code,then they go back to work and do it the company way.So the company in essence, buys the stickers and slaps them on thier units.

I have had several LQ horse trailer "conversions", where the conversion company takes the bare trailer and then builds the living quarters in them.Horse trailer people have much higher standards than RV people, and a poor conversion company seldom stays in bussiness long.Yes. the appliances are the same as RV's,but there the similarity ends.Some LQ's display the RVIA sticker,but almost all quality builders also will have a TR ARNOLD inspection sticker set as well. TRA does basically what RVIA does EXCEPT that they have actual inspection people in each field that actually are on site to inspect the unit at each stage of construction.Only then does the inspecter apply the TRA inspection sticker which he must sign off on,to the various areas of the unit. There will be separate stickers for electric,plumbing,lpg install, and then an overall unit inspection sticker that is placed at the entrance door frame.If the purchaceing public knew about this and made enough noise over it,maybe the QC would be accceptable as opposed to the company being on thier own.

My wife and I have been around horse camping,trailering people a long time and I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard complaints about QC or warranty work. Our current Merhow LQ unit is a 2009 unit and has had zero issues since new.The Cherroke TH as yet to be proven,but we have only pulled it 200 + miles home from the dealer and alreadt have a punch list that includes a bulge in the interior wall of the garage at a stud location that was not there when we left.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #42

[QUOTE=trbomax;790064]I am of the oppinion that part of the problem is thecodes and (lack of) inspections of the builds.All RV builders carry a RVIA sticker. These Stickers mean that the builder "agrees" to produce thier product in accordance with RVIA standards.At no time does RVIA actually inspect units or moniter construction standards at the first person level. Some company workers attend RIVA workshops that show them how to build to thier code,then they go back to work and do it the company way.So the company in essence, buys the stickers and slaps them on thier units.

I have had several LQ horse trailer "conversions", where the conversion company takes the bare trailer and then builds the living quarters in them.Horse trailer people have much higher standards than RV people, and a poor conversion company seldom stays in bussiness long.

I concur. My brother and his girls travel the Southwest Circuit in a 40' 3 horse slide out. I can't remover the brand but zero structural issues other than going to a dual battery set up. If I were looking for a toy hauler this is the route I would go. Much more utilitarian.

If FR (IMO) produced horse trailers you would show up at events with broken floor boards and horses missing and every structural component in the rear destroyed. We won't even talk about trying to haul a few bales on the roof.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #43

When we bought the TH we actually went to that dealer to look at upgradeing our Merhow 2HLQ to a larger 2-4 HLQ with a slide. Wife decided she wanted a full head room bedroom and you cant get that in a horse trailer so we ended up with the 315WP with a reese goosebox so we could haul it with our existing hitch.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #44

We got ours in 2013 and have had it out on several trips, including last summer's run to Mount Rushmore..
Overall I'd say we are pleased with the quality in ours.. There is a few things that we've had to do.. Add a couple staples in some trim and fix a screen on the one bunk window..
The sealant outside started to crack and we took it in, and the dealer said they have never seen one with a hard sealant used around the doors and windows.. They fixed it and did it under warranty. We had it in to check the roof sealing as there was a little bit of water that we had in one night, but I think that was due to a roof vent being left slightly open (d-oh)...

TT: 2013 26' Revere TBQB
TV: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #45

Sure glad I just purchased a Roo; maybe not. I'm not too nave but a little depressed after reading this thread. Guess I can only hope I didn't buy a POS as so many apparently are. I'll know when I pick it up in a few weeks after the weather breaks. Not looking for perfection, just hope there are no major issues.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #46

Question
Are Forest River products inferior to most other brands or typical in terms of quality or lack of quality.
Should I have purchased another brand, there were plenty to choose from. The Roo seemed to be comparable relative to the price. Guess I won't know for a while.
The folks on the Jayco site seem to be more positive about their TT's; are they a better quality? Almost went that route.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #47

I think each manufacturer produces their share of lemons, unfortunately.. I know some friends have had a couple from 2 different manufacturers.. Do your best looking and research before you hook on and drive it off the lot..

Same as new house construction, IMO.. How many issues do you hear of new houses and the cost is alot more than a TT... I know I've had WAY more issues with our 10 year old house than our 2 year old TT..

TT: 2013 26' Revere TBQB
TV: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #48
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothebeach View Post
Question
Are Forest River products inferior to most other brands or typical in terms of quality or lack of quality.
Should I have purchased another brand, there were plenty to choose from. The Roo seemed to be comparable relative to the price. Guess I won't know for a while.
The folks on the Jayco site seem to be more positive about their TT's; are they a better quality? Almost went that route.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are over 69,000 members on here and i think this will be post 48 or so in this thread.
There are going to be issues with any trailer of any manufacturer, and if you give me a few minutes, i will find an issue with any new car too. Nothings perfect in this world!
Dont sweat it and have fun camping!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #49

I've said it before and I will say it again: It all comes down to the dealer and the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). If something is messed up at the factory, it is the dealer's responsibility to repair/replace before sale. Go over your unit with a fine toothed comb - a purchaser PDI on a modern RV should take you at least 4-6 hours (One hopes the dealer did their own PDI before yours as well )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #50

The big thing is industry experience. We bought our TT as we were moving up from tenting, so when we were looking everythiing was great. So after a couple years and lots of trips under your belt and lots of time doing maintenance which gets you looking behind and under panels, you see very quickly why a TT is an ultra light. However, our first TT from tenting was perfect and well built until you kow what to look for. I wish I would have known someone at the time who was into the industry who could have advised us on that first purchase. That first TT at 24K Cdn$ was in our mind a lifetime purchase. Live and learn with experience which is why the industry thrives as with all the new first timers that have to start somewhere.

Kevin

Tags
quality