Old 02-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #51

Dealer Quality counts too

There is plenty of wisdom in this forum. If I could back up and do it again, I would buy a 1960s trailer and fit it with new appliances and interior. My 2014 Wolf Pup has been nothing but problems. The biggest one is the selling dealer. They keep the unit for weeks, then claim nothing is wrong with the unit. They call things "adjustments" and therefore not warranty issues (such as a furnace cover falling off or melted down brakes from a shorted wire). My dealer is unable to solve even the most minor issue. Isn't it their job to work between me and the manufacturer?

I work in the "lean" part of a manufacturing comapny. My job is to make things cheaper and better. For anyone offering the "get what you pay for" excuse, this is nothing more than an excuse. There is no quality difference between a Tahoe and an Escalade, just the features and price. My Kia doesn't exhibit any quality issues even though it was cheap (the Vega comment didn't get by me, I had one too). My point is; the cheapest model on the lot still carries your brand name and should be built as well as the most expensive. You got a giant flat screen, I got a mount where I can put my own TV.

The manufacturers should think of it this way. Today I am buying a basic trailer for weekends. Tomorrow I will retire and might buy a $300K bus and sell my house. My experience with this last one would steer me well clear of anything made by FR and especially clear of the selling dealer. I am cancelling my extended warranty just because I have to fix everything myself anyway. I cannot imagine someone with little or no mechanical/electrical ability with my trailer. Being at the mercy of a bad dealer is nowhere I want to be.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #52

I can't find Wandering Jarhead's post (even when I click on the link in my e-mail!) but ... I'm sorry for your miserable experience, and I hope if you do cancel the extended warranty, you write a letter to the dealer with a cc to Forest River explaining why. Sharing your dissatisfaction might not change anything, but it sure can't influence them if they don't know about it.

AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #53

I, too would like to pass on my empathy for Wandering Jarhead's problems.

I've posted here a couple of times, including starting this thread. Lots of suggestions, slogans like "you get what you pay for", etc. There are even a few happy FR customers. I'm not, but not terribly unhappy either. Mine's had a few problems but has never been back to the dealer. I'm handy enough to fix about anything that comes up.

Well, I disagree... I don't think you get what you pay for. I think you get far less. I object to someone robbing me of my limited vacation time because they're too cheap to use good materials, or too lazy to do the job correctly. The money and RV I can replace... the time I cannot.

The suggestions of buying an older unit and gutting it are OK, if you want to do that with your free time instead of camp. I don't. I want to go and have trouble-free camping time with my children and grand children.

The suggestion of buying a $140,000- Airstream is, frankly, ludicrous. Why should I have to pay even half that much for a decent quality-built camper... Answer... I shouldn't.

This isn't a problem exclusive to FR, It's an industry-wide problem. It just happened to show up on the FR page because I own a FR product and come here more frequently than other RV pages. I have a friend that's less than handy, and I'd buy another FR product over his brand without even thinking about it. I work on his more than mine... yes... he's that good a friend. And... I have a compressor and an air nailer.

Those that are willing to pay hard-earned money for mediocrity are the problem with the RV industry. As long as we accept it the money will continue to roll in, and the crap will continue to roll out... literally. And, before anyone throws the hypocrite card at me... I'll admit it... busted... guilty! I am part of the problem. I'm about to be a part of it again as I am in the hunt (it'll take me a year to decide) for a new TT. I'm going to try one of the upscale models like Jayco Eagle, Grand Design Reflection, and a few others. Will it have problems? Most assuredly... What a shame. American quality has come to this. Again... what a shame. Lucky me, though... I'm handy and I have tools.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:32 AM   #54

I have been unhappy with my FR product and was even considering getting rid of a 2014. Had an independent repairman work on it. Ask him what brand he had the least trouble with. He said none. Just find what you like and fits your need and then work on it to get everything working ok. You will have problems with all of them no matter what brand. So that is what we are doing.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #55

We switched from our Pleasureway (16 years) to Forest River this last year. As far as you get what you pay for...I believe that is true within a brand.

Pleasureway was solid and well built and needed very few repairs.
We now have 10K miles on the FR Solera and my husband's comment yesterday was, "this rig is going to require more attention". IOW, we've had to make several minor repairs already. Mostly cabinet, but the more concerning one is the tires.

Is it worth writing to FR? I would hope they regularly peruse this site.
2015 31 nights
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #56

If your read this and other RV forums much you'll discover tires are a major concern for many owners. Like auto makers, RV makers spend as little as possible on tires. In fact they seem to scrimp on everything... which is the subject of this entire thread. I just replaced my tires and the originals still had tread, at least half of it was still there. The tread separated on one last year, and luckily I found it before a trip. I replaced the other 3 last week. Two of them were beginning to have tread separation.

I believe FR does peruse these threads... but again, as long as sales are rising, they'll keep slingin' 'em out the door, and deal with the problems. It is NOT just FR, either. They are all the same. I am discovering that even the more expensive lines are the same crap, they just have more expensive wrappers... like Corian tops and leater that's leather... but not of top quality...

Oh well................
Old 04-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #57

I was chatting with a guy who's family was in the RV business for 30+ years. He suggested to buy based on the dealer, not the brand. They are all made basically the same, with the more expensive units getting a little extra touch.

Most important is a dealer that will support you.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #58

What really bothers me about what a lot of you have said is that we must accept poor workmanship as the norm in this industry. Where's the pride in being labeled "Made in America"?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #59

My earlier comment about buying an Airstream was based on a tour of their factory in OH. I recall they make about 40 units per week. During a tour of the Rockwood factory last year they said they made about 35 everyday. Any guess which units have a better chance of good QA?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #60

I certainly agree that an Airstream is going to be of better quality than a Rockwood. However, their quality and price multipliers are not the same. In other words, the Airstream isn't 3.5 times as good as the Rockwood. Another thing... My trailer has one narrow slide. I can't imagine having to use it without at least that narrow slide. As good as Airstream is, I wonder why they haven't worked out a trouble-free slide mechanism. I read more about slide problems than about any other problem, except possibly leaks.

Tags
quality