Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #61

I have to add that I agree with 99.9% of what has been said here.

Now my biggest peeve is the darn RVIA sticker on every RV announcing to the world that it was manufactured to meet all electric, plumbing, heating and fire safety standards!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I certainly agree that an Airstream is going to be of better quality than a Rockwood. However, their quality and price multipliers are not the same. In other words, the Airstream isn't 3.5 times as good as the Rockwood. Another thing... My trailer has one narrow slide. I can't imagine having to use it without at least that narrow slide. As good as Airstream is, I wonder why they haven't worked out a trouble-free slide mechanism. I read more about slide problems than about any other problem, except possibly leaks.
I agree. I would think leaks are the worst because that can ruin your camper.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAF44 View Post
I have to add that I agree with 99.9% of what has been said here.

Now my biggest peeve is the darn RVIA sticker on every RV announcing to the world that it was manufactured to meet all electric, plumbing, heating and fire safety standards!
That sticker does NOT mean it was manufactured to meet ANY standards,what it DOES mean is that the manufacturer has either trained or sent its employees how to build a unit to "code" or proper standards. At no time does anyone from RVIA ever inspect any work done at the plant.The manufacturer BUYS the stickers from RVIA and simply says they will build to standards.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:25 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwriter View Post
Amen! In my opinion, as long as there are enough first time purchasers as there are now, nothing will change but aesthetic properties and colors of wall coverings and fabrics.

Unfortunately, a new buyer doesn't spend enough time in a model before he buys it to see poor quality.(And you'd need to live in it a while anyway.) It almost, unfortunately, takes buying one, travelling and living in it for a period of time to discover poor quality and to know that next time you won't settle for that particular item!

Also, in my opinion RV/TT salespersons are worse than car salespersons. Our salesman told us whatever we wanted to hear and then later didn't recall ever discussing that with us.

Ever see an RV or TT after a tornado or horrendous traffic accident? If so, I doubt you'd ever buy another one. My wife and I are full timers in a 2014 Puma. We are miles away from a dealer, so most things I fix myself. (Retired home remodeler). In a half year I've spent several hundred dollars. We are building a cabin on our land. When it is finished I will sell the Puma.

We, at one time, were going to buy a Park or Destination model to live in. I've inspected several of those and talked with the owners. They are only marginally better built than what we have. It is very unfortunate.

Sirwriter
I agree about the poor quality of RV's and Trailers. Also the sales people are for sure the worst ever...
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
That sticker does NOT mean it was manufactured to meet ANY standards,what it DOES mean is that the manufacturer has either trained or sent its employees how to build a unit to "code" or proper standards. At no time does anyone from RVIA ever inspect any work done at the plant.The manufacturer BUYS the stickers from RVIA and simply says they will build to standards.

You guys got me wondering, so I did a web search and here is what "Go RVing" says about it RVIA Seal | Go RVing

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 AM   #66

The RVIA states: "Manufacturers are subject to periodic, unannounced plant inspections by RVIA representatives to audit their compliance. Members who fail to maintain an acceptable level of compliance can be expelled from the Association, which prohibits them from displaying the RVIA seal on their products."

I have never seen an RV that is missing the "seal", so that must mean that US RV manufacturers have been meeting all the RVIA requirements.

Oh, and by the way, I am selling the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay cheap, just call me!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are over 69,000 members on here and i think this will be post 48 or so in this thread.
There are going to be issues with any trailer of any manufacturer, and if you give me a few minutes, i will find an issue with any new car too. Nothings perfect in this world!
Dont sweat it and have fun camping!!!
There are WAY less issues with new cars, any brand (except maybe a Yugo) then there are with a new RV trailer. I think it's due to no inspection process from a governing agency.
Here you have family's sleeping inside while camping and propane, electrical all within inches of each other. Also there is plumbing that can leak after traveling vibrations.
If the finish product, that is visible, looks like it was installed without care. Then what about the stuff you can't see in the walls and below carbonates.
Just Saying, barrie1
Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #68

I would agree that the quality of RVs in general could be better. But I suspect that we're somewhat at fault by buying mainly products that seem not to meet our standards. I remember some brands rumored to be of better quality going by the wayside, maybe because we opted to purchase a lessor quality unit at a lessor cost. We just bought a unit that I might have liked to have some features it does not have. But units are available that do that we decided were more than we wanted to spend, and some of those units might require an upgrade in a tow vehicle that would add substantially to the cost.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
I would agree that the quality of RVs in general could be better. But I suspect that we're somewhat at fault by buying mainly products that seem not to meet our standards. I remember some brands rumored to be of better quality going by the wayside, maybe because we opted to purchase a lessor quality unit at a lessor cost. We just bought a unit that I might have liked to have some features it does not have. But units are available that do that we decided were more than we wanted to spend, and some of those units might require an upgrade in a tow vehicle that would add substantially to the cost.
You make good points. We are always attracted to the glamor of a new unit with more knobs , buttons and whistles. Like they say "ginger Bread" sells.
I just think that a manufacture should not instal something that doesn't work properly until it's proven. It's like we are the ginny pigs. We pay a lot of Money for the RV's and ae also doing their research for them.

Thanks for your take...
Old 04-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie1 View Post
I agree about the poor quality of RV's and Trailers. Also the sales people are for sure the worst ever...
that's the truth ! things won't change until the customers demand a change .i' disappointed the the 29 xlr quality but noting that can't be fixed . i just should not have to do this on a new unit . like bundle and secure wiring running under the unit . it;s just poor workmanship and poor engineering
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #71
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
...like bundle and secure wiring running under the unit . it;s just poor workmanship and poor engineering
Definitely poor workmanship or training, but engineering has nothing to do with your example as the wires have to be run.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Definitely poor workmanship or training, but engineering has nothing to do with your example as the wires have to be run.

The poor engineering shows through out these units the engineers should be forced to live in the units a few months and then go back to the drawing board . along with the poor workmanship . in the field a good worker that knows what he is doing can fix the bad engineering
Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie1 View Post
There are WAY less issues with new cars, any brand (except maybe a Yugo) then there are with a new RV trailer. I think it's due to no inspection process from a governing agency.
Here you have family's sleeping inside while camping and propane, electrical all within inches of each other. Also there is plumbing that can leak after traveling vibrations.
If the finish product, that is visible, looks like it was installed without care. Then what about the stuff you can't see in the walls and below carbonates.
Just Saying, barrie1
Would that be like whats under the stickers ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	74448  
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #74

Too many people coming up with silly ideas and drinking way too much koolaide. The chances of an engineer or someone who builds a unit getting into a defective unit is most likely less then 2.5%. 90% of the issues people talk about in my humble opinion come form the unit being hauled 4000 miles at 85 mph buy someone who does not care. It arrives at a dealer who is paid good $$$ to check it out who does not do it and it gets sold to you.

Everyone here has a chance to pay 15K more for a base unit or 100K more for your higher end units compared to mass manufactured units and get the quality you want and choose not too. Stop complaining about it!

At the end of the day 95% of us would not have the RV unit we have if we needed to spend the extra money, be happy and go camping.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
Too many people coming up with silly ideas and drinking way too much koolaide. The chances of an engineer or someone who builds a unit getting into a defective unit is most likely less then 2.5%. 90% of the issues people talk about in my humble opinion come form the unit being hauled 4000 miles at 85 mph buy someone who does not care. It arrives at a dealer who is paid good $$$ to check it out who does not do it and it gets sold to you.

Everyone here has a chance to pay 15K more for a base unit or 100K more for your higher end units compared to mass manufactured units and get the quality you want and choose not too. Stop complaining about it!

At the end of the day 95% of us would not have the RV unit we have if we needed to spend the extra money, be happy and go camping.
it's drinking koolaid to expect good workmanship ? 95% of the issues it seems start at the factory . 25 grand for a traveler trailer is not chump change . things won't change until the customer starts to require it . now maybe you have no problem paying 100 g for a less then quality unit .Just because a unit is base does not mean it should be put together badly.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 AM   #76

No Excuse for Poor Workmanship

Quote:
it's drinking koolaid to expect good workmanship ? 95% of the issues it seems start at the factory . 25 grand for a traveler trailer is not chump change . things won't change until the customer starts to require it . now maybe you have no problem paying 100 g for a less then quality unit .Just because a unit is base does not mean it should be put together badly
Totally Agree 100%!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #77

Quote:
it's drinking koolaid to expect good workmanship ? 95% of the issues it seems start at the factory . 25 grand for a traveler trailer is not chump change . things won't change until the customer starts to require it . now maybe you have no problem paying 100 g for a less then quality unit .Just because a unit is base does not mean it should be put together badly
Another round of koolaide for everyone!

The ones not put together by "monkeys" cost ya more, having it put together by someone being paid $8.00 an hour makes it so 95% can afford it. 25k is chump change when it comes to these units, even the 40k I dropped on my sandpiper is chump change. I could have spent 349k on a New horizons with the same floor plan but I chose not too....
Old 04-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #78
Mod free 5er

I get the popcorn concession!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I get the popcorn concession!
Make mine non salted!
Old 04-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #80
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
Make mine non salted!
Sorry, it's all salted and heavily buttered with REAL butter!

Tags
quality