Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Why did you not catch the loose lug nuts and nails in the carpet during your PDI? During our PDI, the tech demonstrated using a torque wrench and we actually checked each lug on all 4 tires.
Because the lug nuts were not addressed in our orientation. Also, I didn't think I would need to walk around the bedroom in my bare feet looking for tacks sticking through my carpeting. By the way, I'm not talking about the tack strip at the door thresholds or along the edges.

Come on now?
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #122
Site Team

Making an RV purchase decision is similar to making a stock purchase decision. Before making the decision, you need to identify your tolerance for pain. If you must have everything identified in the unit corrected by the dealer under warranty you should shop for the best service dept regardless of location and price. If you are willing to do some work yourself or pay to have it done, get the best price on the unit. If you are one of the lucky few, you can have both, but don't expect it. I purchased my RV to enjoy during the somewhat limited season where I live. I am not willing to wait a month for a dealer to play games with a repair. We made the purchasing decision that best fit our needs and are enjoying our RV. I spent about 2 hours doing some minor repairs, but that was better than a 3.5 hour trip to and from the dealer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #123
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Not so.

When we toured the plant that makes our Rockwood, we were told they complete 3-4 units per day.
Hay bama. We toured rockwood last year while at the Goshen rally and they reported 17 per day. These were 35' rockwood tts with 3 slides. Nice units but those guys ran everywhere. We watched 3 role out complete as we stood at the end of the line. About 15-20 mins apart.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #124
Plain Old Member

RV and Quality don't go in the same sentence. If you think you don't have any issues, give me 10 minutes or less with your rig and I'll make you a list. We've had enough of them I assure you, from a pop up to a class A. Even the one I consider the most flawless had a few issues. I think that was #3 or 4 out of the 8 rigs we've had.

Knock on wood though, out of all the rigs, the SOB we have now has exceeded the last several rigs.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #125

The newer 264s are not as nice as the SV 264s. They cost less because of that. When I bought this trailer, I was still very new to all this and... experience is the best teacher. I've never even heard of a Black Rock RV until I read your post. I'll look around to see if there's a dealer nearby. Looks like this one's in Alberta, Canada... a bit of adrive from Texas...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #126

Looks like the closest to you would be Arizona or Colordo.

But as I pointed out for some it is not because they would not buy quality if given the chance, the quality trailers are not readily available.

With everything stated, I am still of the opinion even with the cheaper trailers the quality issues that a lot of us see are not at the manufacturer. They are created in the abuse they receive on the haul down and the dealer not doing their job.

Video I found on the constructions process, they seem to nail 95% of the complaints that are made.

http://www.outdoorsrvmfg.com/tv/built_tough.php
Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #127

I think some of our disappointment in RV quality is related to our disappointment in service quality. Getting service now is about 30 days out and when you get it my experience is that much of the time its not quality service. My point would be that there's more of us seeking service, seeking RVs than there are manufacturers and dealers providing the RVs and service. The lack of competition for our business makes them not need to be better than there competition.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
Looks like the closest to you would be Arizona or Colordo.

But as I pointed out for some it is not because they would not buy quality if given the chance, the quality trailers are not readily available.

With everything stated, I am still of the opinion even with the cheaper trailers the quality issues that a lot of us see are not at the manufacturer. They are created in the abuse they receive on the haul down and the dealer not doing their job.

Video I found on the constructions process, they seem to nail 95% of the complaints that are made.

ORV: TV: Built Tough

WOW! Very impressive. I am glad such a company exists and I hope they are around when I decide to upgrade to a TT for my cross country trips. This seems like a great RV company that builds things that I would want for a long lasting RV.

Only problem I see is they are very far away and have no east coast dealers at all. Hopefully they rectify that.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
I think some of our disappointment in RV quality is related to our disappointment in service quality. Getting service now is about 30 days out and when you get it my experience is that much of the time its not quality service. My point would be that there's more of us seeking service, seeking RVs than there are manufacturers and dealers providing the RVs and service. The lack of competition for our business makes them not need to be better than there competition.
Perhaps for some, but not for me. I seem to be the one screaming the loudest on this thread... and I did start it. My trailer has never been back to the dealer. It has had problems but I have repaired them. My major complaint is that, at first especially, I was spending about 1:1 time repairing to camping. I finally have the bugs worked out over 3 years, but holy cow... If I buy a new one, am I going to go through the same thing? Most assuredly... and that's my problem.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
WOW! Very impressive. I am glad such a company exists and I hope they are around when I decide to upgrade to a TT for my cross country trips. This seems like a great RV company that builds things that I would want for a long lasting RV.

Only problem I see is they are very far away and have no east coast dealers at all. Hopefully they rectify that.

Vin.
Agree, but if the people who want that type of product start talking to their dealers about it they may try it. I plan to contact my dealer and put the bug in their ear.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #131

I see... they're an Outdoor RV brand. I've been looking at them online for some time, but they are just not available around here. The Blackstone I want has an MSRP of $61K... OUCH! I think I can get it within budget but with no dealers around, I'm not willing to buy it sight unseen... nor do I want to drive to Colorado to get it... and then back there to get it fixed if it does have a major problem. And like all other makers of RVs, these units DO have problems.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Perhaps for some, but not for me. I seem to be the one screaming the loudest on this thread... and I did start it. My trailer has never been back to the dealer. It has had problems but I have repaired them. My major complaint is that, at first especially, I was spending about 1:1 time repairing to camping. I finally have the bugs worked out over 3 years, but holy cow... If I buy a new one, am I going to go through the same thing? Most assuredly... and that's my problem.
I think you will go through it all over again.

But thank god that you have the ability to fix it. I too am pretty handy and it saves me a ton of money around the house. I feel sorry for the people who are not handy and have to hire it out. What about retired people who just cannot do major heavy lifting repairs? These people buy a dream coach and find out it needs all this work or they just deal with it.

The Outdoor RV company I quoted earlier seems like a step in the right direction. Making a better quality product but not going crazy to overprice it out of peoples budgets.

I get the need for entry level RV's. Every consumer category needs an entry level player. I think what is lacking is a quality mid level player. It seems like all there is is mass produced RV's and custom made to order RV's. We need something in the middle like that Outdoor RV company seems to be.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #133

I'm hoping Grand Design becomes another mid-level company. They're not that far under Outdoors RV price wise, and the rigs look good. Their owner's forum is very positive. I'm looking at their Reflection TTs pretty hard right now. They have only 2 floor plans, and neither suits my needs, completely. They have just announced an expansion, so maybe more floor plans are in the works... I have about a year to get this figured out.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
TURBS,
I, too, have been one of the fortunate ones. My 2013 Flagstaff has had very few issues in the two years and 25,000 miles we have had it. What few issues I had I learned quickly my dealer did not give a rip about. So I fixed them myself. I will not go back there!
Some owners are not skilled in ways necessary to keep an RV up like others of us are.
I do believe though that FR could do a MUCH better job of choosing dealers and holding them to the job of servicing the customer, or send them packing. A lot of small issues cause owners to be duly frustrated because many dealers are exceptional liars.
Travel safe
From what I have read, Turbs and many others take their units Goshen and have some things fixed by FR for free.... that is very fortunate indeed.

I need new axles.... Will FR put those on my unit for no cost......?

Don't think so, because THEY FR are cheap.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #135
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
From what I have read, Turbs and many others take their units Goshen and have some things fixed by FR for free.... that is very fortunate indeed.

I need new axles.... Will FR put those on my unit for no cost......?

Don't think so, because THEY FR are cheap.
Unless you've been to Goshen, how can you make a comment like that? AquaMan got new axles with a rubber duck attached.
Suggest you go and find out for yourself. You just might be surprised!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Unless you've been to Goshen, how can you make a comment like that? AquaMan got new axles with a rubber duck attached.
Suggest you go and find out for yourself. You just might be surprised!
OC... I have been e-mailing and speaking to Wayne Bigler from FR on the phone for about a month. If he tells me that I will be MADE WHOLE by coming to Goshen... I will do that. My daughter is there in Mishawaka, so it would be a nice visit. FR could fix my freeken slide too......

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #137

Goshen would be about 1200 miles each way for me...
Old 04-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #138
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
OC... I have been e-mailing and speaking to Wayne Bigler from FR on the phone for about a month. If he tells me that I will be MADE WHOLE by coming to Goshen... I will do that. My daughter is there in Mishawaka, so it would be a nice visit. FR could fix my freeken slide too......
Funny I don't recall those that I talked to that went to Goshen ever had to talk or email to anyone for a month to get anything done. Last year, we knew they would fix it based on the previous year. PLUS, we trusted what FROG Bob told us.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #139
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Goshen would be about 1200 miles each way for me...
Make it a vacation like most of us did/do. You can't find a friendlier bunch of people including the managers, supervisors, technicians and campers.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #140

Send a message via AIM to B and B
You can find great deals at the store as well. Upgraded beds, parts, jacks, accessories and frog items! We went last year and at this point if we survive Nashville palling to attend this year.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality