Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Screen door handles

Broken screen door handles on my trailer 2014 Rockwood Ultra lite and the dealers say that they have been discontinued ? So now what are we suppose to do. They have a replacement that they sent to the dealer but it is not even close to being the right one and cannot be made to work.
Makes it very difficult to get out of the trailer.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugger View Post
Broken screen door handles on my trailer 2014 Rockwood Ultra lite and the dealers say that they have been discontinued ? So now what are we suppose to do. They have a replacement that they sent to the dealer but it is not even close to being the right one and cannot be made to work.
I can't find a pix online of your door handle, but have you tried looking on
ebay.com? Sometimes you can find the right part there. Also Amazon.com??

Can you post a pix?
Cmessmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Try RV For Sale Canada - Dealers, Dealerships Parts & Accessories , online parts catalogue, or visit one of their dealership parts and accessory departments if you are close enough. I have broken several screen door handles over the years and have always managed to find the correct one there .

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #5

Sorry trailer is at the lake so all I have is the inside piece that is broke [trying to fix it] This is the inside piece. I have checked a few online parts catalogues but could not find them only the outside lever. Part number is 10-15296 A. [Atwood]
I put a small metal rod in the grove and filled it with epoxy, hopefully it will hold. Very cheap design and apparently only used on trailers 2012 to 2014.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #6

Unable to find the parts online and Forest River is no help at all. The replacement handle is just another outside handle which serves no purpose at all.
Do they have a tech that I could talk to anyone know? or some other contact person.
Where do I go from here.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #7

Tech

Quote:
Unable to find the parts online and Forest River is no help at all. The replacement handle is just another outside handle which serves no purpose at all.
Do they have a tech that I could talk to anyone know? or some other contact person.
Where do I go from here.
I remember seeing another thread that had a list of contacts. Even tho the actual people may have changed, it might give you a place to start. I'll see if I can find it again & post back. Just seems like they should have the replacement parts someplace for a trailer that isn't that old even if they discontinued using them.

eta: This won't help much now but look what I did find [http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atwood-Excel...-/171698801916
Cmessmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #8

tugger...

Had the same problem with the same type of latch on my 2013 Micro-Lite 23LB. There's a link to a thread on this forum about it ...click HERE.

The latch photos don't show on that thread, but they can be seen on one of my picture albums of mods I've done on my Micro Lite which includes photos of a broken (and a new in a bag) screen door latch like the one shown on your photo. Click HERE to see them.

There's also another, later thread concerning the same broken latch issue HERE

Just last week I removed the repaired latch and replaced it with one that's usually used on Colman (or other) popups. It was the only latch I could find that had a low enough profile to fit between the screen door and the outside door. I also had to modify some of the inner workings of the latch to make it work. That made the lock mechanism inoperable, but I always lock the outside door when away from the RV. I also installed a magnet to keep the screen door attached to the outside door when open for loading/unloading the RV.

It took a couple days of thinking, fabricating and drilling (including a 7/8" hole), but finally got it installed. Thought I'd end up screwing up the whole screen door frame, but somehow it all worked. I still have a few spots I have to touch-up with some black paint.

Here's a link to a similar latch like I installed: JR Products 11675 Black Locking Camper Door Latch

And here are some photos of the new latch on my Micro-Lite (not great pics...took them tonight with flash):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch1a.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	119507   Click image for larger version

Name:	latch1b.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	119508   Click image for larger version

Name:	latch1c1.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	119509   Click image for larger version

Name:	latch1d.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	119510  
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:52 AM   #9

What I ended up doing is taking my dremel tool and enlarged the groove in the tang part that goes through the door [ broken part] I needed something small and strong so I put an 1/8 inch drill bit in the groove and covered it all in epoxy. When it dried I used the bench grinder to reshape it to its original form. It now has the re-enforced metal and epoxy tang and works well. Also did the other door before it broke, I don't believe that these will break again.
I was told by Forest River that the part is no longer available and no replacement is available, no help from them at all. I was not a happy camper, Trailer 2 years old and no replacement parts available.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #10

The construction of the door frame along with the sliding screen opening design makes it impossible to find an "out of the box" latch that will work and fit without some major "big hammer" engineering. The original latch was sort of a good idea, but made with inferior materials. Mine broke after 2 weekends of camping.

If I had to do it all over again, I think a magnetic latch would be the easiest fix. Here's a link to a Youtube video titled:
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #11

Quote:
What I ended up doing is taking my dremel tool and enlarged the groove in the tang part that goes through the door [ broken part] I needed something small and strong so I put an 1/8 inch drill bit in the groove and covered it all in epoxy. When it dried I used the bench grinder to reshape it to its original form. It now has the re-enforced metal and epoxy tang and works well. Also did the other door before it broke, I don't believe that these will break again.
I was told by Forest River that the part is no longer available and no replacement is available, no help from them at all. I was not a happy camper, Trailer 2 years old and no replacement parts available.
You should call LCI directly, I almost positive that they are the supplier to FR. On the frame of my screen door there is a model # and serial #, there two types that I know of the one with that like 3" round knob on it to open the door is the old one the new one is a short piece of plastic about 6 or 8" square and a exposed handle, they might be able to help you get the part, they may even have it listed on there parts list that LCI products are on... I have found FR to be wrong on a lot of parts, so I now try to go directly to the manufacturer..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #12

Just a thought, if you have all the pieces... Krazy glue it to orient all the pieces and reinforce the cracked areas with a fillet of JB Weld epoxy. Temporary to long term fix if you can't get what you want and you want it now
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door