Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #21

This is not new. This was the same prior to the vote for all chapters. Chapters are not officially part of FMCA so they control who can join.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #22

They only expanded membership because they needed the revenue. Guess not enough Motor Coach guys supporting their club.

Mike
Old 12-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
They only expanded membership because they needed the revenue. Guess not enough Motor Coach guys supporting their club.

Mike
While that is officially denied I'm sure it was part of the equation. Age demographics are one of the given reasons, the average FMCA age is 71, were the average new RV owner is around 50.

Add in that motor homes sales, of all types, are around 10% of new RV sales and you have a very small target audience if you stay motor home only.

Another reason I heard was there are a number of current FMCA members who complained that their family was unable to attend events since they had other RV types. It took me over twenty years to work my way thru pop-ups, hybrids, and big TT's to get in to a motor home so I can see that...

Whatever the real reasons behind the move the membership voted for it by a 2-1 margin. The FMCA will lose a percentage of the existing membership over this change but I believe in the long term it will be good for the organization.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #24
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
AMEN on the welcoming. I'll save my dollars for a less hostile group..
X 3 and I doubt they will draw a lot of the TT and 5ers into their group. MH purchase are down and I can imagine few can to join also. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel View Post
Since it was a majority vote FOR opening it up to all RVers why would you think that? That’s like saying the folks at Frog events don’t fraternize with those in what they may perceive as lessor rigs? I don’t think so, but if you are prejudiced against someone else for any reason you shouldn’t go to rallies that are meant for fun and friendships. Just sayin.
I think you need to do a History lessen before you tell Me about Rallys,I was Involved in the 1st Frog rally,as well as the Oldest Continuous Frog Rally,The Tadpole that will be 8th year! We have always been Open to any Forest River RV,and Friendly to ALL! I notice that now there are Several Groups that have "Isolated" themselves in regards to "Brand/Model/Size/Type" what will they come up with next "Color/Price/Age"! Come One come all as long as it's a Forest River product! You need to preach elsewhere about "Fun & Friendships" because it already Exists at FROG Rallys! Youroo!!
Youroo, I'm not following what you are saying. Sanibel said the exact same thing you did, but you are quoting him like he said the opposite.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #26

They felt we were too good to belong. Now that the shoe is on the other foot they should know I agree with them. I'm too good to join.

I used to own an FR, a Heartland, and now on my 3rd Keystone (Montana) and seem welcome at all sites ~ since day one. No need for snobs.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Youroo, I'm not following what you are saying. Sanibel said the exact same thing you did, but you are quoting him like he said the opposite.
Nope,the Blue highlighted part was directed at "You" that's Me! I stand by my reply! Youroo!!
Old 12-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasmailman View Post
I can understand you being happy about FMCA opening up to everyone. However, my membership number ,will be able to issued to someone else,I won't need it any longer. The idea of a group with similar interest (Class A) is the reason I joined. Using this forum as an example unless you familiar with 5th or TT, I have no idea of what the unit even looks like. My FMCA member sign was taken off my motorhome this morning. This PC world will put us on our knees in time.
IN my opinion probably more money driven than being PC
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #29

We owned a pop-up, then a Van, then a Motorhome, then another Motorhome, then down to a travel trailer, then we got a fifth wheel. While we owned the fifth wheel, we bought a 25' Class C. Then we traded the fifth wheel and the class C in for a new Class C. After a while we traded that in for a Class A. Every time we went camping with friends or met friends while camping, we didn't decide to hang out with them because of their RV type or model. We know people with pop-ups, V-noses, fifth wheels, toyhaulers, airstream, travel trailers with bunk houses and out door kitchens, R-pods and we have not made the decision that we don't want to go camping with them because they don't have the same RV as us.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:44 PM   #30

FMCA open membership

The fact is that $50 times a bigger number creates more money. So, open the membership and create revenue.
What is foolish is all of the childish comments regarding who will be welcomed. Does anybody really care who has what? Most choices are economic. We had money for a tent and that was our choice. We now have money for a motor home and that is our choice.
Now comments about this "group" and that "group". Sounds fairly immature.
Personally, I haven't found value with FMCA. I do not need more roadside assistance options. The articles in the magazine are well done. Of course there are other ways to find them. My personal opinion is that I don't need to read about sway bars or methods of securing propane tanks. So when FMCA starts writing articles about trailers; I won't have interest. I am not being disrespectful to people who trailer. I actually see an advantage with being able to get into state parks. I miss this with a 45' class a.
Rallies aren't why I explore. Great for those who are founding fathers of various rallies. Square dancing and cooking the latest pie iron meal are sports for those who like them.
Again foolish comments about inclusion and diversity. At least a new subject to complain about has surfaced. Getting more than a little old to read of some bodies latest Camping World complaint and rant.
I sometimes think that perhaps a new membership club should launch.
Crabby people who are highly focused on complaining.
Maybe Camping World will provide a free meeting room for your organizational meeting???
Quest9914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:49 PM   #31

Quest9914, That is a long complaint
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #32

FMCA enrollment

Guilty as charged Wildcat!! LOL.
Sorry but this whole camping thing is supposed to be fun. We all share a common scenario. These things break all too often.
Maybe everyone should consider what we have in common rather than what category we should join?
Quest9914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #33
Who Dares, Wins

Camping is fun or we would not do it. Saying what some say is not mature or childish, how is this? If it is coming from personal experience the only. Children are the ones being the weenies.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:48 AM   #34

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel View Post
Since it was a majority vote FOR opening it up to all RVers why would you think that? That’s like saying the folks at Frog events don’t fraternize with those in what they may perceive as lessor rigs? I don’t think so, but if you are prejudiced against someone else for any reason you shouldn’t go to rallies that are meant for fun and friendships. Just sayin.
I agree with you on this. I inquired about a FROG ralley once and was told only Forest River need apply. I do own a SOB, but i’m not one.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
I agree with you on this. I inquired about a FROG ralley once and was told only Forest River need apply. I do own a SOB, but i’m not one.
I know the international rally is frog only, did not know the local ones were as well. I thought it was up to the host?

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 12-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest9914 View Post
The fact is that $50 times a bigger number creates more money. So, open the membership and create revenue.
What is foolish is all of the childish comments regarding who will be welcomed. Does anybody really care who has what? Most choices are economic. We had money for a tent and that was our choice. We now have money for a motor home and that is our choice.
Now comments about this "group" and that "group". Sounds fairly immature.
Personally, I haven't found value with FMCA. I do not need more roadside assistance options. The articles in the magazine are well done. Of course there are other ways to find them. My personal opinion is that I don't need to read about sway bars or methods of securing propane tanks. So when FMCA starts writing articles about trailers; I won't have interest. I am not being disrespectful to people who trailer. I actually see an advantage with being able to get into state parks. I miss this with a 45' class a.
Rallies aren't why I explore. Great for those who are founding fathers of various rallies. Square dancing and cooking the latest pie iron meal are sports for those who like them.
Again foolish comments about inclusion and diversity. At least a new subject to complain about has surfaced. Getting more than a little old to read of some bodies latest Camping World complaint and rant.
I sometimes think that perhaps a new membership club should launch.
Crabby people who are highly focused on complaining.
Maybe Camping World will provide a free meeting room for your organizational meeting???
Must be me. When I got out of the hospital after being hurt on my 2nd tour of Nam I joined the American Legion. I went to the VFW and was told I could not join as that was not a real war. Today I get emails, letters, and cc applications and still will not join. Every member of fmca I've met in a CG has been great. My hard head says if an organization did not want me during good times and all they want is money during bad times I'm not interested. I do wish them the best.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #37
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Are we forgetting what FROG stands for?
Forest River OWNERS Group.
Key word being owners.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I know the international rally is frog only, did not know the local ones were as well. I thought it was up to the host?
If you ever read the requirements for any rally you must own an FR product to attend even the local Frog rallys. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 12-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Must be me. When I got out of the hospital after being hurt on my 2nd tour of Nam I joined the American Legion. I went to the VFW and was told I could not join as that was not a real war. Today I get emails, letters, and cc applications and still will not join. Every member of fmca I've met in a CG has been great. My hard head says if an organization did not want me during good times and all they want is money during bad times I'm not interested. I do wish them the best.
I also was turned down after paying dues for 15 years as I wanted to change membership to local VFW. After they all reviewed they denied my request cause I did not participate in a Foreign war. They gladly took my money tho for 15 years.Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 12-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #40
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Are we forgetting what FROG stands for?
Forest River OWNERS Group.
Key word being owners.
I guess they should use that as well for the fmcsa.. That whole motor coach part. But that is why I think it is a money grab and no more.

Most people we meet are more than friendly, just takes a few to spoil the bunch sometimes. Especially if they are the ones who you meet and become the "ambassadors of the group"

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB