Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #61
Broken Toe

For the record... i could hardly care less. I generally eschew organizations, as they usually devolve into bickering cliques. I've already lived through junior high school, i dont care to go through that again. From all i hear the FMCA is full of that kind of nonsense

FROG is different because they dont charge a membership fee and they are really and truely open to all, provided they own and FR.

For years the FMCA has looked down their noses at up "lesser" RVers. Now they want us (read: Our Money) to join up.

Pass.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #62

I am really flummoxed by this entire conversation. We helped a friend this summer at several rallies, which included FMCA, Coachmen, Passport, Heartland, and of course FROG. We met many people, and not one was rude or seemed to look down their noses at any RVer. The membership of FMCA voted 2-1 for opening it to all campers which for the mathematically challenged means 2/3’s were open to all RVers and no those members get no financial gain from the addition. Obviously 1/3 did not want all of the rest of us, but there is another faction, those that didn’t care enough to vote. I think it’s comical that so many don’t like rallies and organized groups yet belong to this group and think it’s okay to put down others. Join the FMCA or don’t. Just as you can join FROG or not. It’s your choice but damn if you let one persons behavior in a group paint an image of a whole group,you need to take a look at yourself and your attitude. Just MY opinion.
Sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #63

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
We would love to join FROG but I can’t since I no longer own a FR product. Went to several FROG rally’s when we owned our fifth wheel. Also attended 2 International rally’s, the 3 & 4th held. Still camp with those friends we made at the FR rally’s.

Went to the big FMCA Rally in W. Springfield, Mass. in 2016. That was enough for us. Over priced, no one was nearly as friendly as those at FROG rally’s. Had to wear a badge that said “First Timer” and also a sign on our coach. If I didn’t start a conversation with someone they weren’t going to. Must not know the secret handshake.

I will seriously think hard before I have to renew my membership. They need money since they won’t tighten there belt and live within their means like we all have to.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #64
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Sanibel, I don't think you had to translate the ratio to a fraction and then insult people's intelligence by calling them mathematically challenged.

It's hard to look past the fact that they will take someone's membership monies but then have a written rule that the group you try to join reserves the right to deny you. That sends a message to those that are joining for the interaction and group functions. That's how I see it.
Why, in your opinion, Do they have that rule if it's now open to all?
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #65

FMCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel View Post
Since it was a majority vote FOR opening it up to all RVers why would you think that? That’s like saying the folks at Frog events don’t fraternize with those in what they may perceive as lessor rigs? I don’t think so, but if you are prejudiced against someone else for any reason you shouldn’t go to rallies that are meant for fun and friendships. Just sayin.
I agree. Ted
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
It's hard to look past the fact that they will take someone's membership monies but then have a written rule that the group you try to join reserves the right to deny you. That sends a message to those that are joining for the interaction and group functions. That's how I see it.
Why, in your opinion, Do they have that rule if it's now open to all?
There are two issues here I think, related but separate...

First, the FMCA memberships vote was to allow all RV's to join. On that part the FMCA is quite clear: All RV's. And all members will have the same benefits regardless of what type RV you have...

Second, is the "Chapters". Chapters are chartered by the FMCA and must comply with the FMCA Charter. However, and this is the "gotcha", the Chapter's charter defines who can be a member. Chapters can be for a brand, equipment type, locality, or common interests. So I wouldn't be eligible for a Newell Chapter based on the rig in my signature.

But how is this any different than the "Clubs" within FROG? With my current rig can I join the Cardinal Club? Or the RPOD Club? No...in a word.

I think, but do not know, that many Chapters will be modifying their Charter to allow all RV's. Why do I think this? Because the membership, not the leadership, of the FMCA voted to allow everyone to join! That same membership is the people that can change their Chapter Charters. That being said I'm sure there will be some Chapters that will not change their charter and will maintain their existing requirements. But you could always form a Wildcat Chapter...

I seen the replies about FMCA snobs. They are out their, I've seen it myself..."We allow Class C's?" But they are no different than some members within FROG...I've seen them in action at Goshen. That doesn't excuse the FMCA jerks but let's put it in perspective here...jerks are everywhere and in every organization. I either ignore them, or be polite to them and really tick them off , and move on...

When I started this thread my goal was to let folks know there is a serious competitor to GS for benefits that will be available for everyone here soon. Since we currently chose not to belong to a Chapter that isn't a issue for me. But I do understand the concern. I would encourage anyone with any concern to let the FMCA leadership know by contacting them. Ask them what the plan is...
Old 12-05-2017, 03:06 AM   #67
Site Team

Comments in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post

But how is this any different than the "Clubs" within FROG? With my current rig can I join the Cardinal Club? Or the RPOD Club? No...in a word.

Just to be clear, the clubs you mentioned are not "within" FROG. They are their own entities, totally separate/outside of FROG. As per FROG's webpage:

Forest River Owners Group - The official owner's group of Forest River RV, manufacturer of world-class recreational vehicles.

The Forest River Owners' Group, or FROG, is made up of over 50,000 Forest River and affiliated brand RV owners from all across the United States and Canada, dedicated to having fun and enjoying their own RV lifestyle. There is just one requirement to join FROG; own a Forest River product. So, what are you waiting for? Sign up and start taking trips with thousands of your closest friends, today!

I seen the replies about FMCA snobs. They are out their, I've seen it myself..."We allow Class C's?" But they are no different than some members within FROG...I've seen them in action at Goshen. That doesn't excuse the FMCA jerks but let's put it in perspective here...jerks are everywhere and in every organization. I either ignore them, or be polite to them and really tick them off , and move on...

This could true about some people's attitudes, but again if there are outside club members attending FROG events with any kind of possible attitude, they are representative of their own separate club and not FROG.

When I started this thread my goal was to let folks know there is a serious competitor to GS for benefits that will be available for everyone here soon. Since we currently chose not to belong to a Chapter that isn't a issue for me. But I do understand the concern. I would encourage anyone with any concern to let the FMCA leadership know by contacting them. Ask them what the plan is...

Agree

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:57 AM   #68

Since this is about "Benefits" the Big one is FROG is FREE to join,FROG has the Lowest charge for it's International Rally of Any Club/Organization,FROG "Pay To Play Tours" are the Best Value,Hands Down! Has "FMCA" ever repaired/fixed Anything",at their Big Rally-For FREE? Hey it's hard for FROG's to Jump from a Pond to a Pool! Youroo!!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #69
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel View Post
I am really flummoxed by this entire conversation. We helped a friend this summer at several rallies, which included FMCA, Coachmen, Passport, Heartland, and of course FROG. We met many people, and not one was rude or seemed to look down their noses at any RVer. The membership of FMCA voted 2-1 for opening it to all campers which for the mathematically challenged means 2/3’s were open to all RVers and no those members get no financial gain from the addition. Obviously 1/3 did not want all of the rest of us, but there is another faction, those that didn’t care enough to vote. I think it’s comical that so many don’t like rallies and organized groups yet belong to this group and think it’s okay to put down others. Join the FMCA or don’t. Just as you can join FROG or not. It’s your choice but damn if you let one persons behavior in a group paint an image of a whole group,you need to take a look at yourself and your attitude. Just MY opinion.

I have listed my reasons for my distaste for FMCA in my post. However, the one thing I didn't list is... "Why the change of heart. Why now?"

Why, after a half century of us not being "good enough" (my term, not theirs) to be part of their little group, do they now feel that they will "allow" us to join them?

The cynic in my says that they realize that their little club is hurting for members and dollars. In fact, President Charlie Adcock himself said, and i quote:
Quote:
The bigger we get, the more numbers we’ve got, and that will help us spread the cost of our benefits out,
Translation: "we need the cash"

Adcock and the rest of the FMCA board knows that Coach ownership is been in a steady decline and towables have exploded. They see the dwindling numbers (and dollars) and see towables members as the way to stay afloat. True, the members actually voted on the approval, but with the board pushing it, it's not hard to think the membership has fallen in line.

My opinion: If we (trailer owners) were not good enough to be members in the flush times, it's the height of chutzpah to expect us to fall all over ourselves to join when you "need the numbers"

I won't hold it against anyone who joins, but the whole FMCA has left a bad taste in my mouth for years with their elitism. The timing (and reason) for this is doing nothing to eliminate that.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 12-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #70

Understand but remember others may feel the same about US in FROG.
Sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #71

I will pay for whatever rally's I decide to attend, but I will not pay to be part of an organization without getting extremely good value back for my dollar. The cost of our hobby is high enough that I'm not adding to it without being sure it's worth it to the community as a whole. I joined FROG because a)it's free, b)minimal BS, and c)it seems like a great way to meet like minded people. I committed to one rally because it looks like fun, I've ignored others because they aren't my thing, or are too far away.

For me, if a org was put together that was primarily advocating against messed up legislation that will negatively affecting my hobby, I would join, and most likely donate extra to fund that...but camping isn't being harassed into extinction by government in Canada, so it's a non-issue. I'd rather spend the money on my hobby, making my trips more comfortable, convincing friends/family to go with me on my dime, to get more people out enjoying nature.

2017 - 16 nights
2018 - 31 nights
2019 - 0 So far
BigWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #72

The rode side assistance looks like a pretty good deal to me, I have Coach-Net but it doesn’t hurt to have two, I had Good Sam until I wasn’t wanted anymore.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #73
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Comments in red

Just to be clear, the clubs you mentioned are not "within" FROG. They are their own entities, totally separate/outside of FROG. As per FROG's webpage:

Forest River Owners Group - The official owner's group of Forest River RV, manufacturer of world-class recreational vehicles.

The Forest River Owners' Group, or FROG, is made up of over 50,000 Forest River and affiliated brand RV owners from all across the United States and Canada, dedicated to having fun and enjoying their own RV lifestyle. There is just one requirement to join FROG; own a Forest River product. So, what are you waiting for? Sign up and start taking trips with thousands of your closest friends, today!
I know they, and others, are grandfathered "Clubs" that per-existed FROG. However they are contained within the FROG umbrella at any event which is a FROG Rally. How they act at an independent "Club" Rally is indeed their own issue.

Quote:
There is just one requirement to join FROG; own a Forest River product.
And now there is just one requirement to join the FMCA....own a RV...of any brand.

Quote:
This could true about some people's attitudes, but again if there are outside club members attending FROG events with any kind of possible attitude, they are representative of their own separate club and not FROG.
Agreed...to a point. Assuming I accepted your position that the club member are outside of FROG...which I don't think they are...FROG is still responsible for their "guests". And FWIW some of the worst offenders at Goshen we've seen don't have a separate "brand" club. But in any case a few jerks do not represent an entire organization to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Since this is about "Benefits" the Big one is FROG is FREE to join,FROG has the Lowest charge for it's International Rally of Any Club/Organization,FROG "Pay To Play Tours" are the Best Value,Hands Down! Has "FMCA" ever repaired/fixed Anything",at their Big Rally-For FREE? Hey it's hard for FROG's to Jump from a Pond to a Pool Youroo!!
I see it as Apples and Oranges. FMCA compares to Good Sam, not FROG, as far as available benefits. While FROG offers a great club but it does not have a benefits package comparable to either GS or FMCA. In our case we're in FROG for the fun and enjoyment and the FMCA for the benefits. And I don't see why anyone would feel required to leave FROG if they joined the FMCA...I'm in both...and GS as well , at least until my membership in it expires.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #74
Broken Toe

Quote:

And now there is just one requirement to join the FMCA....own a RV...of any brand.

And $60 a year...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 12-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
And $60 a year...

Tim
True but that includes FMCAssist medical evacuation insurance. The equivalent GS coverage is $69.95 a year plus your annual GS dues. The annual cost listed on the SkyMed site, as linked on the FROG Benefits page is:

Individual Price
- $299.00
Family Price - $499.00
App Fee - 75.00

I didn't bother to call for the FROG discount...

The math says I'll be staying with FMCA just for that one benefit...
Old 12-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #76
Broken Toe

Quote:
True but that includes FMCAssist medical evacuation insurance. The equivalent GS coverage is $69.95 a year plus your annual GS dues. The annual cost listed on the SkyMed site, as linked on the FROG Benefits page is:

Individual Price
- $299.00
Family Price - $499.00
App Fee - 75.00

I didn't bother to call for the FROG discount...

The math says I'll be staying with FMCA just for that one benefit...
Well, if you see a benefit of Joining the FMCA, then by all means go for it.

Just realize that for a variety of reasons, its not for everyone.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 12-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #77
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasmailman View Post
I am a life member of the VFW. I went to Vietnam. Never heard such a stupid thing as Vietnam not qualifying. Majority of members are Vietnam vets. Stay away from that post or maybe notify national of you being refused as a Vietnam vet. But I still wouldn’t join that post lol.
Not only the post but the national headquarters made the final decision that one can not be in the VFW if you did not spend time on the soil where the war was then your not eligible. Guess had I not decided to transfer to a local post then I would still be in the VFW. At least I got back current year dues back far cry after paying for so may years. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote