Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I should add to my above post that the caveat is finding a reputable dealer locally. I guess I'm fortunate to have my "local" dealer (roughly 45 miles away,) that's fantastic on service. There are a few dealers closer to me, but they didn't carry the product line that I wanted (XLR,) even though they had other FR lines, and my dealer also didn't carry it but was willing to go the extra mile to find it for me. And as I said, great service. So I'm happy with my dealer, but I know many are not. And luckily, I can fix or install 80% of things, so my trips to the dealer are now infrequent--once that original "punch list" was taken care of.
Glad to hear you are happy with your local dealer. That is refreshing. I don't care how good the locals are at sales/service, if we can save almost $10k (like we did with our current rig) by driving 800 miles we will do that. We have an independent RV service that we take our rig to that can do warranty work on most brands. We use him or fix it ourselves. So far manufacturers have been good about sending us parts when we need them.

We try to avoid dealerships like the plague. They are the black holes of RV repair. Take your rig to them and it disappears for months. Every dealer we've seen is just swamped so I have a hard time fathoming this so-called 'Death Spiral'

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I never made it past the first 6 paragraphs where he said "I had no experience but I was editor of the biggest RV magazine" and "Magazines have to be public relations vehicles, unlike newspapers".

Never got past that, sorry.
I, too, am amazed at how many industry pundits, when asked "What RV do you own" tell you "I don't own one". Well, have you ever owned one? "Nope".

Amazing.

When we toured both the Thor and Jayco factories and spoke to their senior design engineers, we were flabbergasted to find out they had been working in the industry for 20+ years and have never spent one night in any type of RV! (thus obviously did not own one!) They design RVs?!?

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Seems people travel to further dealerships to save thousands not hundreds
I brought mine from a dealer 1300 miles away , why because of the huge savings and the fact i was visiting my folks a few hundred miles from this dealer . as far as warranty goes All i've needed to do for the few warranty items i've had was call the dealer and they had the parts to me .i prefer to install myself then i know it's done right . if you can't do the work then your at the mercy of the dealer
Also, if you are interested in a particular model (as we were) you have to travel. There are essentially 2 good dealerships for Berkshire: MSHRV and total Value RV (no WAY would we go to Lazy Days...too many bad reports).

So it was a no-brainer to go to Total Value (Love their tag line "Buy 'em where they are made" ) Glad we did - these guys are FANTASTIC!
Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
<SNIP>. I really believe that the best thing you can do for yourself as an RV owner is to cultivate a healthy relationship with a good, local dealer.
<SNIP>
Well said!! Could not agree more! I believe this is critical to enjoying your RV lifestyle!

Observation: we were at the dealership a few weeks ago to have a SMI Air Force 1 installed on our TOAD. While there, a customer came in and proceeded to curse and yell at the service department manager about his RV. Now, I understand frustration, and I have had a few sharp comments with service techs myself, but this was over the top. What kind of a future relationship can this customer expect with the service department?

Moral: Folks, please try to remember that the service tech did not personally break your RV. Treating them with kindness and a problem solving attitude (versus a "it's your fault attitude")will go a long way in your relationship building with the dealership.

BTW, I talked to the service manager after the ranting customer left and he told me that this was the norm rather than the exception
Old 07-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Well said!! Could not agree more! I believe this is critical to enjoying your RV lifestyle!

Observation: we were at the dealership a few weeks ago to have a SMI Air Force 1 installed on our TOAD. While there, a customer came in and proceeded to curse and yell at the service department manager about his RV. Now, I understand frustration, and I have had a few sharp comments with service techs myself, but this was over the top. What kind of a future relationship can this customer expect with the service department?

Moral: Folks, please try to remember that the service tech did not personally break your RV. Treating them with kindness and a problem solving attitude (versus a "it's your fault attitude")will go a long way in your relationship building with the dealership.

BTW, I talked to the service manager after the ranting customer left and he told me that this was the norm rather than the exception
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
the chances of getting a good dealer is slim to none . people need to relay on themselves and not let themselves be at the mercy of dealers . . saving 6000.bucks is quite a bit . 600 bucks not worth the drive but you still end up with a unit and a dealer that most likely won't help as much as the ones 1000 miles away
Really?

Here are three that cover just about ever Forest River brand. As far as we are concerned they are honest, ethical and customer focused! So, if you need to travel 1,300 miles to buy a RV from a good dealership, consider these folks:

Berkshire/Charleston/Legacy Motorhomes: Total Value RV, Elkhart, IN

Sunseeker Class C/Cardinal/Riverstone/Wildcat/Wolf Pup & other tow-behinds: Johnston RV, Cullman & Decatur, AL (they also offer a lifetime warranty on their FR units)

Coachman/R-Pod/Surveyor/Forester/FR3: Bankston Motorhomes, AL & TN
Old 07-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Congrats on the Fulltime Bob!!! And thanks for all the upbeat posts!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Congrats on the Fulltime Bob!!! And thanks for all the upbeat posts!
Thanks Scott...and remember we are going to Nellie's when we roll through Las Cruces in 2018

Tags
dealer, service