Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #71
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
This guy isn't even close as to whats going on with RV parks , maybe 10 or 15 yrs ago what he said may have fit but not now . More and more campgrounds are being built , more spots ADDED to existing . Having spent two summers in yellowstone one of the rv capitals in the summer there are more spots available this yr then last and there will be even more next yr . lots of the forest service campgrounds outside of the park almost always have spots available first come first serve . Now in Florida you see tons of established campgrounds with the seasonal sites . there are still plenty available . i had no issues getting into a place last winter and see no issues this yr . some fill up others don't.
I've seen both. The CG my parents camped in when I was a kid and that I grew up in is exactly the way the author describes. They have MAYBE a dozen sites set aside for weekend campers. The entire rest of the park is filled with seasonal lots. They also have a number of cabins and park models for rent. They were one of the CGs that used to be owned and run by a single family but were eventually sold to a larger company and their prices have since tripled.

Compare that to the CG we are in now where they are about 50/50 with seasonal/weekend sites. They have pictures on the wall that show their expansions over the years and still have room to add more in the future.

Then there are two other CGs near us that are polar opposites of each other. One has a waiting list for seasonals to get into. The other has people leaving in droves. You could drive in on Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend and have just about any site in the park.

Really though this is all anecdotal evidence. There would have to be some sort of actual study to find out what the "norm" is in the industry.
__________________

__________________
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 434
It's not a big deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Short answer, when you try to reuse a broken or compromised part, yes... My Aunt wanted to buy an RV so she could join us camping and bring along the grandkids. She is handy and not afraid to fix things but not as spry as she used to be. She would need to hire someone to help with the upkeep. I used examples like this to convince her to stick with renting a trailer when she wants to join us instead of buying. Yeah the finishes aren't as nice but the lack of maintenance more than makes up for it. I'm sorry to hear about your pains KatanaPilot.
But it is indicative of issues with the industry - be it the dealer (as described by the author) and/or the manufacturer.

In my case, it wouldn't have been difficult (or should not have been) to order a new tailpipe and clamps from FR. The dealer had the coach for a month. Possibly, they didn't want to have to deal with FR and the warranty department?

Either way, my problems are infinitesimally minor in comparison to some, but the more chapters I read from this author, the more I agree with him.
__________________

__________________
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've seen both. The CG my parents camped in when I was a kid and that I grew up in is exactly the way the author describes. They have MAYBE a dozen sites set aside for weekend campers. The entire rest of the park is filled with seasonal lots. They also have a number of cabins and park models for rent. They were one of the CGs that used to be owned and run by a single family but were eventually sold to a larger company and their prices have since tripled.

Compare that to the CG we are in now where they are about 50/50 with seasonal/weekend sites. They have pictures on the wall that show their expansions over the years and still have room to add more in the future.

Then there are two other CGs near us that are polar opposites of each other. One has a waiting list for seasonals to get into. The other has people leaving in droves. You could drive in on Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend and have just about any site in the park.

Really though this is all anecdotal evidence. There would have to be some sort of actual study to find out what the "norm" is in the industry.
Agreed . though changes are tanking place in the campground industry . i believe the author is out dated when writing on the campground subject
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
schrederman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 975
I just had to replace my front door due to a break-in. I dealt with FR directly. They sent me the wrong door and the wrong graphics. They didn't want either back, and eventually, after a couple of dozen email exchanges and phone calls, I got the right stuff and the TT is like new... but I did the work myself, instead of expecting some kid making $8- an hour to give a ---- about by trailer. Unfortunately, the dealers have no real standard as to repairing these units. It's... get it out the door, and charge the owner or manufacturer and get paid as soon as possible. Sorry for your experience. If an A&P did this kind of work on your Katana, he's lose his license...
__________________
J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 434
Nice glider

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I just had to replace my front door due to a break-in. I dealt with FR directly. They sent me the wrong door and the wrong graphics. They didn't want either back, and eventually, after a couple of dozen email exchanges and phone calls, I got the right stuff and the TT is like new... but I did the work myself, instead of expecting some kid making $8- an hour to give a ---- about by trailer. Unfortunately, the dealers have no real standard as to repairing these units. It's... get it out the door, and charge the owner or manufacturer and get paid as soon as possible. Sorry for your experience. If an A&P did this kind of work on your Katana, he's lose his license...
We just had a pilot move in with a couple of gliders. It's really cool to see here vs. the powered airplanes.

Fortunately, my son is my A&P and he flies the Katana too. So his butt is in the seat and he knows he better do good work. But I agree with you on the points you make.
__________________
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Conway, AR
Posts: 2,447
I usually see both sides (hahahaha)..........but at least I do here. I hear too many horror stories on RV quality for them all to be wrong! Yet mine is fine. I don't know the answer. I do know for a FACT that good ones are built and bad ones are built.

On the campgrounds, I disagree with the guy. Go get 15 acres in the country, away from civilization, but on a paved road (to where is immaterial), and make a campground. Put in septic, electric, and water. Get a lawn mower. And a good vehicle that will make it to the bank. Every one in America is full, including the ones that are sardine cans.....every single one. The complaints are always "there aren't enough nice camp sites", not that they are too empty.

As for "getting back to nature vs. comfort", some of us spent a lot of time in a tent.......and now later in life we developed heart conditions (I had an L.A.D. -M.I., go look it up), asthma (no clue where that came from), and the days of tents are over. So the house gets paid off cause the Lord let me live long enough, and I just moved to a moving-house-on-wheels mortgage. So, I'm not supposed to use that because some guy likes tents better? (I bet he doesn't live in the south where it's 100+ starting today through September 25 or so)..........

My nine cents.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,198
Part 6 - Associations can influence change.

Can they now?

RV Industry Death Spiral – Part 6: Associations can influence change | RV Daily Report

Here is a cut and paste of the most interesting couple of paragraphs in the latest offering.


"For the reasons alluded to in my other columns – the biggies being inability to get RVs serviced and product quality – the RV lifestyle is a dream of many until they buy one and run into the problems that force them out of the lifestyle as the fun dissipates.

RVIA is in the prime position as the leader of the industry’s manufacturers to dictate product quality as part of the seal requirements. Like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, an RVIA seal should convey to consumers that the RV has been inspected, tested and is ready to be used. However, the seal only indicates that it has been constructed according to RVIA’s standards.

However, people cannot review RVIA’s standards, nor are they offered for sale on the association’s website. Therefore consumers really don’t know whether the RVs they buy are built to those standards. Some of the standards are available through other organizations, like the National Fire Protection Association. But, there is no one central location where consumers can find the standards dictating RV construction."
__________________
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #78
GM
 
bclemens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
here's a question for you . Why does the manufacture think the dealers Techs should diag a unit for free under warranty ? this is one reason i will never do warranty work nor work for a dealer . the flat rate does not cover the diag time .
I can only speak for our division, we do allow for diagnostic time. However we also expect the dealer to call when they are stumped and have certified techs that can diagnose problems in a timely manner. It irritates me
When a customer calls, frustrated because the dealer failed to repair their issue after three tries. When we check the file, not one warranty claim was filed, (dealer behind) and we have no calls. We end up fixing it ourselves to try and salvage the situation and have to repair their repair in most cases.
__________________
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Conway, AR
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I can only speak for our division, we do allow for diagnostic time. However we also expect the dealer to call when they are stumped and have certified techs that can diagnose problems in a timely manner. It irritates me
When a customer calls, frustrated because the dealer failed to repair their issue after three tries. When we check the file, not one warranty claim was filed, (dealer behind) and we have no calls. We end up fixing it ourselves to try and salvage the situation and have to repair their repair in most cases.
So what do you do about that dealer after that?

Complain at a staff meeting that Joe's Campers is bad again? Or fire his sorry butt???

????
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #80
GM
 
bclemens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 5,857
That's the tricky part. For sure, we discuss with them the issue, what went wrong and encourage them to involve us sooner in the future. We can send out a service rep to do training, offer in house training, be more proactive on our end in asking more questions. I think we have given the consumer more direct access to get in touch with us before it becomes a problem. We send a letter with every unit asking the customer to contact us directly if their coach is out of service too long. While we all wish there was one, there is no silver bullet. Some state laws give us little to no authority to force a dealer to do anything.

Sad part is we sometimes see this wth really big, previously good dealers. I think just like a lot of RV related things, the infrastructure is taxed. Not enough qualified staff to handle the issues as they should be handled.

My immediate response has been to raise prices so we can put in the best components we can, pay employees more and provide the service people expect. We'll see how that goes.
__________________

__________________
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dealer, service

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.