Old 02-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Talking New Garmin GPS & Cell phone

After getting my new Flagstaff 832 KRSS, I am now in the market for a GPS unit to use on trips etc... After a lot of research, I was sold on one of the many Garmin units that are available, and I was just narrowing models based on my anticipated use.

Being the gadget geek that I am, I was also resisting a growing urge to upgrade my Samsung Blackjack cell phone for something newer and cooler like maybe an Iphone or more robust Blackberry.

Then as I was checking google for GPS units, I find what may be the coolest phone ever, at least for my needs and the needs of many other RV and Camper users out there.

Below is a link to the new Garmin Nuvifone. This phone is first and foremost, a high quality Garmin Nuvi GPS Unit with all the qualities you need for travels. This unit also is a cell phone, web browser, email, chat and IM. The unit also has Wifi access, and google local (which allows you to search for local gas stations for example, while on the road and will give turn by turn directions AND prices of the fuel at those stations). With this unit you are not limited to the points of interest that are loaded in the actual unit since you have access to the live web.

Finally, it also has media / mp3player, photo viewer etc. and when the unit is placed in car cradle if you are on the phone at the time it goes directly to speaker phone to keep your call going and automatically switches to you GPS screen at the same time.

One other neat feature is that whenever you remove phone from cradle or take a picture it marks that lat and long of the location so you can link picture to directions, or get directions back to where your car is parked in a parking lot!

I said I was a gadget geek...well we will have to see how this phone pans out.

Be sure to click on the media gallery to see the pics

Enjoy, Frank

2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 (5.7L Hemi)
2008 Flagstaff 831 KRSS
2000 Son
2002 Daughter
1969 Wife
1974 Me

Live and Work in St. Louis, MO. area, but play everywhere!
fire4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Send a message via Yahoo to MaxRock
That is a very cool phone, similar looking to an iPhone. It says it isn't available unit 3Q08, I wonder if it will work with any service provider? I would definitely be interested in a phone with this functionality. Looking forward to reading un-biased reviews.

Any idea on cost?

'04 Wildcat 29BHBP

'02 Chevy 2500HD
DMax/ZF-6 Speed, CCLB, 0-70-110 HP VA Tuner,
5" exhaust, H2 Tires/Chrome Wheels (315x70-17),
B&W GN hitch and 5th Wheel Companion,
BrakeSmart Brake Controller
MaxRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
I'm looking hard at the Garmin Zumo 550.

It can go from the scooter to the cage in minutes. Plus it's bluetooth ready with MP3 player and other goodies.

Kinda pricey though............
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon
Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
That looks like a cool phone/navigator! I took, have wondered when someone will put out the first gadget that does it all!

The iPhone is really cool. Especially for web browsing. I like that it can pick up WiFi signals, or you can surf on the web through the cell service. I can't pick up WiFi on my Moto Q smartphone, but I can surf the web and sync email. I have Google Maps, but no GPS.

This new phone looks like a great navigator/phone...but I'm betting the web/email is not what I have, nor the iPhone has. Time will tell, I guess.
I love the direction it's all going! Thanks for sharing the links!
Pete (Jolly Mon)

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote