Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #1

Very Interesting (about who owns FR)

Very interesting to find out that Warren Buffet is overall CEO of Forrest River...didn't he have his hand in the housing bubble??

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 11-23-2016, 03:00 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Peter Liegl is the CEO of Forest River Inc.

Buffet the is CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, of which FR is one of its many subsidiaries.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #3

Since I own some BRKA stock... I guess I'm part owner. Think I got a discount? Um... no.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Peter Liegl is the CEO of Forest River Inc.

Buffet the is CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, of which FR is one of its many subsidiaries.

This is correct and pretty common knowledge around here.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Since I own some BRKA stock... I guess I'm part owner. Think I got a discount? Um... no.
Me too, and also some THO.

Holding companies suck regardless, its directly related to Quality Control in the RV Industry or lack thereof. Profits are all the holding company cares about and whatever way they're generated doesn't matter. Does anyone think for a second Warren Buffet gives a rats rear end if your tires blow or your wall delaminates? He doesn't! He also doens't care when the Geico customer who never had a claim for 15 years scrapes a stop sign and his rates double. As long as the numbers keep coming in black and the investors are happy its all good.

FTCA, another holding company, did a fine job with Coleman popups running it into the ground after Fleetwood bled it dry. Now Columbia NW builds the cheaply constructed Somerset Coleman clones which are overpriced junk. Even the Fleetwood and FTCA ones were rock solid and still command top dollar on the used market. Coleman made most everything in house, No Lippert junk. I knew guys that worked at Coleman and drive by the vacant plant often, a sad sight.

Others do a start up with the right idea, DSRV comes to mind among others. They blow a lot of smoke for a few years, build up the brand, and then get gobbled up by the holding company. After that happens things go down hill in short order from a QC perspective, because its profits at any cost mentality from that point forward.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #6

It appears that this could be boiling down to a Big 3 like the auto industry did. Thor buying Jayco, and now Winnebago charging into the towable market by buying Sunnybrook, and now Grand design. Pretty amazing. I thought the Winnebago stuff I looked at was OK... but never could find the one I wanted so I ended up with Jayco.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #7

I WISH I owned some Berkshire Hathaway stock. At $238,000 per share its a little rich for my retired blood.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
I WISH I owned some Berkshire Hathaway stock. At $238,000 per share its a little rich for my retired blood.
LOL....
you probably do if you have a 401K. Look into what stocks some of the funds in your plan are holding. It's not like I have a dozen certificates under the mattress because if I did I wouldn't be typing this.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #9

I thought Buffet was CEO of Thor rv's.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

Our Forest River Berkshire 34QS motorhome has a proud notation by the door that FR was a sub of Berkshire Hathaway.

For me, the fact that FR is a Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary was a plus for me, because Warren Buffet makes his investments for the long run. He doesn't buy companies to drive them into the ground. If FR management started making silly decisions that damaged the brand and the value of my RV, Warren would step in and fix the management problem.

BTW, Buffet was certainly not a cause of the 2007-08 mortgage meltdown. But, when the investment bank Goldman Sachs needed some credibility (and a lot of fingers were pointing at them) and some cash, he bought a bunch of 10% preferred shares from them. That investment gave them the same kind of credibility that FR gets from his ownership.

I'm sure that all of you retirees who are looking for steady investment income will know that 10% is an awfully high rate of return these days.

gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote