Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #1

Water from Air

I have been reading MANY of your posts (thanks so much) and my goal when I can afford it is to become as independent and green as possible in my RV.

I am exploring Solar Energy.
I was also looking around for way to convert rain water to fresh.

Lots of ways (gutter to barrel to tank).

I found the following company that has made a form of dehumidifier that produces fresh water.
http://www.ecoloblue.com/en/home-office

I am now researching this and wanted to share. The perfect solution would be this that makes fresh water from air then the water and then places the water automatically (or with little work) to the fresh tank.

GO GREEN and Prosper!

Dixie.
Altoona Pa.

new at RVing but
Lovin our Georgetown 378
Lots to learn

landofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #2

That's a pretty nifty invention. it says it can make up to 7 gallons of water a day, but at $1250.00 it would take a little time to make your money back on it.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Greatly depends on humidity. Low humidity equal low output. This has been going on a long time. the cheaper versions are called plain old "dehumidifier" and are available at most hardware type stores. The output of these is is safe for drinking as long as your catch=can is safe. Equivalent to distilled water. Save your money, nothing is free. I'm not all for "green" until they get a better price on it. Nuff said.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #4

yes it would take some time to pay off. I want to boondock full time if possible one day and I need some way to get fresh water.
Altoona Pa.

new at RVing but
Lovin our Georgetown 378
Lots to learn

landofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #5

I too have been looking into this but I think the Sawyer Filter is a much more realistic solution for your water needs. Cheap, portable, doesn't require power which is also at a premium when your dry camping for long periods.

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/water.htm

Watch the demonstration video.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with going green whenever possible. But at $.20 per gallon, that is burning fossil fuels to run that puppy. Plus the cost is rather prohibitive. I am not sold on this being the way to go.

If you are camping with hookups, then water is provided. If you are dry camping, then I don't imagine solar power is going to be enough to run a compressor (ie., a dehumidfier), and you would have to run a generator 24/7 to get those 7 gallons per day, if it is humid enough out.

My water on a municipal system costs about $.004 per gallon. And they gotta pay for electricity plus make a profit, so that seems more green to me than getting water from air.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Cyber Phrenologist

If you want water from air, then catch and filter the run off from your air conditioner. And entirely low cost gravity fed system would consist of tubing, a filter, and a few mechanical bits to hook it up and mount it.

A 4 carefully placed 5 gallon buckets would catch just about all the run off from my 5th wheels roof/gutters, and that could be pumped through a filter and into the fresh tank.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
If you want water from air, then catch and filter the run off from your air conditioner. And entirely low cost gravity fed system would consist of tubing, a filter, and a few mechanical bits to hook it up and mount it.

A 4 carefully placed 5 gallon buckets would catch just about all the run off from my 5th wheels roof/gutters, and that could be pumped through a filter and into the fresh tank.
There is a guy on the net that has a totally sustainable system with a truck and camper who basically does this. He catches his rainwater runoff and runs it through a Katadyn filter and into this water tank. Now he is sponsored by Katadyn so he kinda has to use their product but in my own research I found that most were not satisfied with their product and that is what eventually led me to the Sawyer filter I listed above. Their filter will process 5gal of water in about 20minutes. If you camp near a stream or river as we do a lot of the time then a 12volt RV water pump to bring water from the stream to a bucket with the filter like Radio suggests will more than adequately supply water needs. If you need to futher clean the water for taste such as water taken from a more turbid source like a lake than tablets can be bought to add to the water after it is filtered and before it's put into your tank. Also, when dry camping we buy a few flats of bottled water for drinking instead of using the water from our tank.

Mtnguy hits it right on the head though that the cost of running the de-humidifier 24/7 would be prohibitive and not "green" at all.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #9

solor power, batteries and inverter...look into an osmoses(sp) system
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwssr View Post
solor power, batteries and inverter...look into an osmoses(sp) system
As one that has 270watts of solar charging and a 1000w inverter, and a 6-6V battery bank I can tell you it isn't the answer to running things all the time. Careful power management must be adheard to while dry camping. Even out in the open last year with a full day of sunshine every day and having to run the furnace at night, using the TV very sparingly and we were using more power than the panels could replentish during the day. Solar isn't the be all end all panacea to solve power issues and when you speak of running something 24/7 off of an inverter or even a medium amperage item off of an inverter part time (which at best is only usually around 80-90% efficient at converting the DC power to AC) then you had better have a lot of solar charge capacity. I am already thinking of having to add another panel to our system to the tune of about $700 to account for loss of charge capacity on a partly cloudy day and I already have spent close to $3000 on my system.
www.nwjeepn.com