Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 30
Window Roller Shade Recall Info / Fix

Hi Guys,


Found the instructions to fix the roller shade Recall # NHTSA RECALL--18V768
1st 6 pages are in English, 7-12 are in French for those of you that speak the language or like a challenge.

Here's the link:
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...-Documents.pdf


EDIT:
Thanks to Bubbles for posting the video link.
Here's the web page with all the videos for Irvine shades as well.
It has all the adjusting / install vids for us.
http://www.irvineshadeanddoor.com/su...-instructions/



I am going to do this myself as the shade only has 3 clips holding it up, and I am pretty handy.
There is no way I am going to let a dealer touch my rig unless it is so much work, I will be burdened.
The guys at Mike Thompsons are such hacks, they will NEVER touch my unit again,...do I seem bitter?


I may post up a "how to" when I am done, or at least I will check back in and let you guys know how it went.
It looks really simple
Put into program mode, (hold learn switch for a few seconds), lower shade all the way to tube, drill a 3/32" hole @ 10.5" from motor side, (after motor) into plastic motor head, countersink hole, install #4 x 1/2" coarse thread screw, (I may use a fine thread with thread locker since I have a bunch laying around), reset upper / lower limits.

Here's some programming instructions I got from Bubbles, thank you.
I think they'll work on my unit for programming, I'll let you know.

I have a 2018 FR3 DS31 and have done all the mods myself so far.


Stay tuned,.......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mcd RV shade.pdf (723.9 KB, 150 views)
__________________

travelboysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelboysteve View Post
Hi Guys,


Found the instructions to fix the roller shade Recall # NHTSA RECALL--18V768
1st 6 pages are in English, 7-12 are in French for those of you that speak the language or like a challenge.

Here's the link:
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/d...-Documents.pdf

Here's some programming instructions I got from Bubbles, thank you.
I think they'll work on my unit for programming, I'll let you know.

I have a 2018 FR3 DS31 and have done all the mods myself so far.


Stay tuned,.......
The instructions are for the "MCD" roller shade and the "IRVINE SHADE" procedure may be different. Might want to go to Irvine Shade web site for their instructions. Yes, it may or may not be the same. Here is the youtube video for the Irvine shade.

__________________

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 30
Thank again Bubbles,


I'll book mark this just in case.


travelboysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 656
My 2011 Georgetown doesn't have this problem but I did have a good laugh when reading the instructions to fix the problem.

The first thing they tell you to do is to disconnect the house and chassis batteries. Once disconnected, you should use the programming switch to lower the shade.

I want to replace the engine in my Georgetown with an electric motor that runs after the power has been disconnected, just like the shade motor.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 30
HAHA, you caught that too.
travelboysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:06 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 30
OK,
So here's my 15 minute job to fix this.

First off, don't disconnect your battery, not needed.
In fact, I ignored the entire RED section that outlined a complete waste of time.

Heck, you don't even need to remove the shade, (mine anyway) to do the job.


Roll shade all the way down to allow you to access the aluminum tube.
You might have to roll past the stopping point to achieve access.

Mine are the Irvine Shades.

I found it easier to take shade out of track slot so it wouldn't bunch and wrinkle too much. Plus, I could access program switch and tube much easier in my case.

Then I measured the 10.5 inches from motor end, made my mark, (see pic).
Drilled the mark with a 3/32" bit, (use little pressure as it is aluminum)
I used a 1/2" bit to countersink the hole, you use whatever you wish.
Drill screw into hole until flush.
Move shade back up all the way and reprogram your ignition on and ignition off limit settings, and you're done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181223_111607.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	193435   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181223_112105.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	193436   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181223_112235.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	193437  
travelboysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelboysteve View Post
OK,
So here's my 15 minute job to fix this.

First off, don't disconnect your battery, not needed.
In fact, I ignored the entire RED section that outlined a complete waste of time.

Heck, you don't even need to remove the shade, (mine anyway) to do the job.


Roll shade all the way down to allow you to access the aluminum tube.
You might have to roll past the stopping point to achieve access.

Mine are the Irvine Shades.

I found it easier to take shade out of track slot so it wouldn't bunch and wrinkle too much. Plus, I could access program switch and tube much easier in my case.

Then I measured the 10.5 inches from motor end, made my mark, (see pic).
Drilled the mark with a 3/32" bit, (use little pressure as it is aluminum)
I used a 1/2" bit to countersink the hole, you use whatever you wish.
Drill screw into hole until flush.
Move shade back up all the way and reprogram your ignition on and ignition off limit settings, and you're done.
Thanks! This helps. I do have one question. Why is it necessary to reprogram the shade? If all you are doing is rolling it down until the tube is exposed how does that affect the programming?
__________________
2017 Georgetown GT3 31B3
N Little Rock AR
bclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 30
Mr. Clinton, ( I really want to say Mr. President, but that's just the smart a** in me)
The instructions say to hold the switch to allow the shade to roll all the way down to expose the aluminum tube.
I can not confirm, nor deny if that will alter the initial programming.
The last thing mentioned is to reprogram the shade limit settings, so, I was just following directions,....
You may not have to with your application.
But, in case you do, just know it's really easy, no need to take to dealer in my opinion.
If anyone still thinks they want to ensure it won't roll down, may I suggest using velcro wrap, (typically used for cable bundling, available at HD or Lowes) and wrap around the shade when you are driving.
Easily removed and, like duct tape and bondo, are universal fix alls.


travelboysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelboysteve View Post
Mr. Clinton, ( I really want to say Mr. President, but that's just the smart a** in me)
The instructions say to hold the switch to allow the shade to roll all the way down to expose the aluminum tube.
I can not confirm, nor deny if that will alter the initial programming.
The last thing mentioned is to reprogram the shade limit settings, so, I was just following directions,....
You may not have to with your application.
But, in case you do, just know it's really easy, no need to take to dealer in my opinion.
If anyone still thinks they want to ensure it won't roll down, may I suggest using velcro wrap, (typically used for cable bundling, available at HD or Lowes) and wrap around the shade when you are driving.
Easily removed and, like duct tape and bondo, are universal fix alls.



Sounds good. Thanks. I had no idea the shade even had a button located in the picture. The only switch I knew about was the up/down on my panel. Will be doing this tomorrow. Looks simple....even an ex president could do it
__________________
2017 Georgetown GT3 31B3
N Little Rock AR
bclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Sounds good. Thanks. I had no idea the shade even had a button located in the picture. The only switch I knew about was the up/down on my panel. Will be doing this tomorrow. Looks simple....even an ex president could do it

Cavemen for sure,...


Stay thirsty my friends,......
Attached Images
 
__________________

travelboysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
window, recall

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.