Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

'04 Surveyor sv261T leak front bunk hinge

Just purchased a 2004 sv261T and noticed after driving home in torrential downpour for about 45min that water had leaked into front storage compartment thru queen bunk hinge. Anyone else have this issue? Has anyone added additional seal around the hinge? Have trailer at service dealer now getting awning and some basic caulking etc down and asking advice on this issue.
Thanks in advance for any advice/help anyone can offer.
Monica
Prodigy P2 BC, WD hitch
Mom23princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
Incheon, S. Korea

Pictures?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Pictures?
I will try to remember to take some pictures next time we travel in the rain. Think water is getting in around top and maybe side seals. Originally thought it was at the hinge. Water gets into front storage compartment then seeps into main area under wall.
Prodigy P2 BC, WD hitch
Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

Well its a common issue, plan to tackle it before it becomes major, After another friend mentioned an issue with their 08 Shamrock, checked out 06 Surveyor, felt the front bunk and it was soft, water was leaking in and being absorbed by wood. luckily it hadn't yet got into floors or storage area. Plan to replace gaskets and top of bunk in the fall. In the mean time I would plan to check and dry out storage compartment after each heavy rain. May also want to invest in a cover for winter storage.
mikesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesurveyor View Post
Well its a common issue, plan to tackle it before it becomes major, After another friend mentioned an issue with their 08 Shamrock, checked out 06 Surveyor, felt the front bunk and it was soft, water was leaking in and being absorbed by wood. luckily it hadn't yet got into floors or storage area. Plan to replace gaskets and top of bunk in the fall. In the mean time I would plan to check and dry out storage compartment after each heavy rain. May also want to invest in a cover for winter storage.
Thanks for your response. We think the water is coming in around the hinge as the first time water only got into the storage compartment then leaked under wall to living area. The gaskets all look quite new and pliable. What do you mean when you say "replace ...top of bunk". The canvass is in terrific shape and doesn't show any water damage. Also the rain is only a problem when bed is closed up and travelling down the road in rain.
Prodigy P2 BC, WD hitch
Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #6

On our 03 Starcraft, you had to make sure the inside bottom seal was in the correct position when folding the bed up. If it was positioned correctly, no water issue at the hinge. If not, it would leak in the rain when towing. I am not sure how the seals on your unit work, but it might be something worth checking with FR. If it is still in good shape for being an 04, then it sounds like it has not been an ongoing issue in the past, or you would have a lot of rot by now.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post
On our 03 Starcraft, you had to make sure the inside bottom seal was in the correct position when folding the bed up. If it was positioned correctly, no water issue at the hinge. If not, it would leak in the rain when towing. I am not sure how the seals on your unit work, but it might be something worth checking with FR. If it is still in good shape for being an 04, then it sounds like it has not been an ongoing issue in the past, or you would have a lot of rot by now.
Thanks MODGuy, appreciate our thoughts. We will take your advice and look into hinge seal position. We don't think there's very much rot some exists in the bottom of front bunk door, but rest trailer appears in good shape. We've had it to a local rv dealer for some minor stuff (A/C, vent covers, roof caulking) and they were impressed by its shape especially given to age.
Prodigy P2 BC, WD hitch

Tags
surveyor