Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #1

17EXL impressions

My wife and I are looking at a 17EXL hybrid with the expandable beds. Its the 2011 not 2012 model.
If there is anyone out there with this model or experience with it I would like to hear your opinion. I was a little concerned about the front fold out bed. I noticed aside from the mattress not being very thick that it didn't seem completely level. There was an uneven ridge just after the bench seat under the inside half of the mattress. It kind of reminded my of the old sofabeds that have the bar under them that you feel while sleeping and wake up with a back ache.
Has anyone experienced this on this model or a similar model or do you think that maybe something just wasn't setup right on the demo unit I looked at?
Any other issues with this model I need to consider?
tkerins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Site Team

by using the Search FRF feature, i found a number of 17XL owners.
you might want to send them a PM.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #3

Having a look at the specs and it's showing just under 600# of cargo. That's not much to some and enuff for others.

Might want to call them for verification
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #4

My wife and I have a 2011 that we bought in 2010. I know of the spot you mean on the front bed, and it is not much of an issue. We did find the mattress to be kind of thin so we added a memory foam topper and she has not complained about the ridge as she sleeps on that side of the bed. We like our trailer and have not had any issues with it.

I was just looking at the 2012 model at the RV show here a month ago which is now called a 171EXL. They have added a foot to the width which makes the bathroom larger and makes more room for passing through between the dinette and the kitchen counter. The down side is that it adds about 1400lbs to the weight so you would need a heavier tow vehicle as it now weighs in at about 4400lbs. I am not sure if the front bed is also wider or not with the extra width but I do find the bed to be on the short side although i am not real tall.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #5

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I like the way the expandables give you more floor space but i kindof wanted to go to a hardside to get away from the canvas beds. We're also looking at a Gulfstream Amerilite 19BHC which I really like. no fold outs, all hard side and it has a large queen bed with a "real" mattress. In the back there are two small bunks which is nice for now since my daughter is only 9 but i'm concerned that once she gets older or if adults want to sleep in the bunks it will be cramped. The Gulfstream is lighter and cheaper than the ForestRiver and has much more storage space but I do like that fold down rack on the back of the 17EXL. This is such a tough decision and we are only trying to decide btween two models. I can't imaging how hard it would be if there were more models in the decision.
tkerins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, wildwood