Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #1

233 S - on order

Greetings:
I introduced myself on the welcome mat page, but we have ordered a 233S after we had major accident last summer with a Feather Lite 27 R. I went and kicked the tires on this trailer and found the fit and finish to be fairly nice, especially compared to our first camper, a Coleman popup and in some ways better than our R Vision TT.

I have read several threads where the front bunk closure seems to leak. I have read also condensation isssues with bunks. Our popup never had this problem, but we experience this when we tent camp either in our family tents or backpack tents. The Roo will be kept under cover alongside our boat when not in use.

I have also read some experiences folks had with Forest River on their customer service, some good and some not so good. I am a bit nervous now that I have read these issues on this forum.

So, what is the skinny on this? Does Forest River take care of their customers when issues arrise? I can deal with imperfections and so forth as long as the company backs their workmenship, see Grady White Boats. Those folks provide outstanding service long after the sale and stand behind their warranty and their build like no other manufacturer car, boat, camper I have experienced.

I think I did make on strategic mistake. I am buying this from an RV dealer in Florida and it is being shipped to my home here in western NC. I find it disconcerning how steadfast local dealers are when it comes to not servicing campers not bought at their shops. The nearest dealers are over 2 to 3 hours away as it is for us. The Florida dealer offered the camper at a great price over $1,500 off the nearest dealer in Atlanta and since it is being shipped to my front door, I figured it is worth saving that $1,500. Did I make a strategic mistake by not buying it in Atlanta?

We will take care of the trailer and baby it. I hope to have it for many years to come. I just want a manufacturer/dealer to be there when we need it. Thanks for your input.

08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

first, don't expect the same quality standards in RV's, that you find in boats and autos.

the whole industry has quality-control issues on all types of RV's. the only exceptions will be the high end rigs and even they have issues.

first, i hope you bought the 2nd year factory warranty for $150. a lot of dealers don't tell customers about it, in order to sell their worthless aftermarket warranties that they get commissions on.

second, we had the same issues with local dealers. so we bought our Roo from a dealer over 2000 miles away and saved over $4000. FR found local dealers that were more than happy to do warranty work. never had a problem getting warranty work done, except that i sometimes had to wait a little longer than their regular customers.

third, FR doesn't have as good as customer service as Jayco but we never really had issues with FR.

fourth, condensation happens more in hybrids because they don't breathe as easily as popups, since they have canvas all around. it's an issue with hard-sided trailers more. using PUGs or solar blankets and keeping air moving inside, solves most condensation issues.
as far as leaks, make sure the dealer does tests to see if the seals were properly installed at the factory. and make sure you don't get canvas caught in them, which will cause leaks driving in rain.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

Thanks Bikendan. I can tell you Fleetwood, well when they made Coleman, made a crappy camper. When we bought it, it looked nice, but the thing started to fall apart especially the cabinets.

Our RVision did not have any problems until my wife totalled it . We looked at another fullsize TT, but decided a hybrid was likely the best way to go.

I found the fit and finish of the one we looked at in Atlanta to be pretty good as far as campers go. I tend to get buyers remorse about a week after I make a huge purchase, even though I am confident in what we bougt. When we bought our boat I was thinking I should have really maybe got the next one up...there is a disease boaters get called 2 footitis and I got it and only a large bank account can cure it.

Thanks for your input...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags