Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

23IKSS versus 23SW

After several years of looking off and on, we are going to pull the trigger relatively soon . We are down to either the 23IKSS or the 23WS. We are leaning toward the 23IKSS. The concern that we have is the degree in which the kitchen slide out encroaches into the covered awning space. It is a trade off for the extra storage and interior space. My question is after camp is set up, in real life, is it that bad or is it doable? The compromise would be the wardrobe slide out that takes up less space, but probably gives enough storage. This is our first TT (had a pop up years ago), and just want to make the most of available storage options. We are a bit type A, and would like to avoid having all our crap laying around like it did with the pop up.

Also, it doesn't seem to have much difference as to whether it is a Shamrock or a Roo. Any opinions on which is better?

TIA,
Paula
Posgo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posgo001 View Post
After several years of looking off and on, we are going to pull the trigger relatively soon . We are down to either the 23IKSS or the 23WS. We are leaning toward the 23IKSS. The concern that we have is the degree in which the kitchen slide out encroaches into the covered awning space. It is a trade off for the extra storage and interior space. My question is after camp is set up, in real life, is it that bad or is it doable? The compromise would be the wardrobe slide out that takes up less space, but probably gives enough storage. This is our first TT (had a pop up years ago), and just want to make the most of available storage options. We are a bit type A, and would like to avoid having all our crap laying around like it did with the pop up.

Also, it doesn't seem to have much difference as to whether it is a Shamrock or a Roo. Any opinions on which is better?

TIA,
Paula

Some people say the kitchen slide does not bother them taking space away under the awning. Personally I think it does. You need to figure that one out for yourself.

The Shamrocks are built by the B team at the factory , using the parts that were rejected from the Roo assembly line.

Seriously they are built by the same workers on the same line and the difference is decals and fabrics, thats it.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #3

We're into our 4th season with our IKSS and are as happy with it now as we were when we bought it. Comes down to trade-offs and what your prefer. If you value good kitchen space and a more open living area, the IKSS is the way to go. If you like the separate bedroom area of the WS, go that way.

There are lots of trailers (just not hybrids) that use a floor plan similar to the IKSS where you have the island kitchen in the middle of the trailer and a living room slide directly across from it. The 2 issues that style of floor plan has are the kitchen slide is under the awning and you have to open the kitchen slide to access the kitchen & bathroom (like when stopping for lunch while traveling).

Personally, neither of those has ever been an issue to us. We came from a popup and the area under the awning is somewhat less with the slide open, but still bigger than what we had with the popup. We also have a screen house we sometimes bring to give us extra outdoor space that is covered.

We love the extra interior space, especially the kitchen area way more than we miss the extra awning space. We will never get another trailer that doesn't have the opposing slides in the living area - just makes it so much bigger inside.

Everybody's needs and opinions are different though, so hope this input helps & good luck in your hunt for the best floor plan.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #4

We've had our 23IKSS for almost 2 yrs now and still love it. Upgraded from a 21' Roo and we love all the extra living and storage space. In fact, we are still getting used to all the extra space and are still figuring out the best places to store all our stuff. We don't notice the loss of canopy space too much, but there is significantly less space under the awning with the slideout then without. We usually have a easy-up deployed for extra room when we have guests, but there is plenty of room for the 4 of us under the canopy.

As mentioned above, no difference between the Roo and Shamrock except for decals and colors (we had a Roo and ended up with a Shamrock).

Another "issue" that is frequently discussed is the inability to access the back of the camper (bathroom and fridge) without opening one of the slides. This has been a total non-issue for us, as we simply extend the kitchen slide when stopped at a rest stop for lunch or boondocking on the way somewhere. Just takes a minute or two, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #5

Thank you for the quick responses! Like I said we were close to pulling the trigger. We just did (yikes!). After much discussion at our dealership with my husband in both units we went with the 23ws. In the end, we decided that we'd be using the outside area more than the kitchen for food prep/grilling. There was plenty of storage for us in either unit. The pantry would've been nice, but honestly the cupboards are big enough if we are keeping all of our personal stuff in the wardrobe and under bed cabinets.
Also, his mom (recently widowed) will likely travel some with us. That separate bedroom area will be nice to have. We only have one kid at home anymore (she's a year and a half so small). Our older boys are 22 & 25 and will rarely go anywhere with us. Plenty of sleeping area for everyone!
I'm a bottom line kind of girl. Husband really just wanted maximum awning room and ease in quick rest stops. I'm just glad we were able to buy locally and get it at 70% MSRP. In that price they are also going to throw in the electric brakes and blue ox hitch for us. Now all we have to do is wait for pick up day ��
Still can't believe we just did it!!
Posgo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Congrats!
We have the 23SS which is what the 23WS was based on.
The 23WS's kitchen counterspace is second only to the 23IKSS.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #7

Every camper is a compromise. You just pick the one that checks the most boxes on your " must have" list. Actually, don't think you could go wrong with either of your 2 finalists.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #8

I must say I really like having access to everything while I'm traveling. We have stopped quite a few times and have had meals in there. It is really nice to have access to everything without worrying about the slides.
The small slide is easy to open and not a big deal but the bigger slides you have to take the travel bars out before you open it. Then you would have to put them back in before you left.

I also really like the private back bedroom it is nice for the girls they can have their privacy and change etc. also my wife can close her self in there and we can run the TV and watch a movie.

I hardly notice wardrobe slide under the awning but I wouldn't want much more sticking out under there.

We really love our 23 WS! Enjoy!

Ps the 23 iks is a super nice camper also! I would love one of those if I had it LOL. SO WIN WIN!

Happy camping everyone!
Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #9

Congratulations from another 23ws owner.
I was partial to the IKSS until I saw the WS.
I did not like losing awning space to the kitchen slide in the IKSS either and the slightly heavier weight of the IKSS was a concern for us.

We are extremely happy with our WS.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #10

Think about how you intend to use it. Some folks spend most of their time in camp, outside under the awning. Some (like us) use the TT as a base of operations and don't spend a lot of time outside.

My advice: If you're the former, go with the 23WS. If you're the latter, go with the 23IKSS.

Only you can decide.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #11

Congrats on the 23WS. Was not yet available when we purchased or might have considered, although we really like the island. We carry extra items stored in totes in the RV when traveling. The totes are then stacked outside next to the RV after we are set up so we always lost that space with our old non slide RV and now we're storing under the slide. We like to park ourselves at the campfire or under the EZ up. Never got into sitting right outside the RV.
My big, and only, complaint about the 23IKSS (rant alert) is the top venting of the fridge through the slide wall. I guess all in slide fridges are like this, but with the baffle in place there is very little room for air to exhaust from the over worked fan. Seems a competent engineer could have come up with something better than cutting a hole, blocking most of it with a baffle and then popping in the same cover as in the bottom.
(Rant over). It works OK so far and I have 5 years of fridge coverage from Dometic.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #12

B Team Shamrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

The Shamrocks are built by the B team at the factory , using the parts that were rejected from the Roo assembly line.

Good one! A Roo saleswoman actually told me essentially that very thing!
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #13

Congratulations on the 23WS! We got ours in April, and I couldn't be happier with it. I hope you love it as much as I do!
joinco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joinco70 View Post
Congratulations on the 23WS! We got ours in April, and I couldn't be happier with it. I hope you love it as much as I do!

Ditto!

We've taken one long road trip (2 weeks), and two weekenders so far. Planning another 3 days later this month. We definitely made the right decision!
54554wis is offline   Reply With Quote