Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #1

ANTS!!!

We are on our first trip in our new Roo 23IKSS. This morning we woke up to a line of ants on our wall. Thousands of them! Is this normal or is our slide not sealed properly?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1407242905.651902.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	59739

Me, DW, our 3 sons and DD on the way
2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2007 Chevy Tahoe V8

Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #2

Not normal, but as you know they can come in through the smallest opening. First line of defense is stop them from entering. Do you have any unsealed food they are searching for? You could try spraying an ant barrier around every area that touches the ground, tires, stabilizers, tongue jack, etc. Sometimes they can get on the roof if your camper is close to trees. If you can find where they are entering the interior try putting down some type of ant bait.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #3

Once we have set up and everything is where it will be for the next few days..the 1st thing I do is spray the perimeter of the TT. I also spray the electrical cord, water hose and any other connections that lead into the TT. I also spray the slide seals...

I use the following:

Raid Maxģ Bug Barrier

Never had a issue with ANY bugs in the TT

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt01 View Post
Once we have set up and everything is where it will be for the next few days..the 1st thing I do is spray the perimeter of the TT. I also spray the electrical cord, water hose and any other connections that lead into the TT. I also spray the slide seals...

I use the following:

Raid Maxģ Bug Barrier

Never had a issue with ANY bugs in the TT
Good plan, very much the same as we do. You might also consider a product called "Home Defense".
Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #5

So it's not a defect in the construction of the camper, it is just part of life?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1407244102.936405.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	658.6 KB
ID:	59740

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2007 Chevy Tahoe V8
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #6

OMG! Fix that quick. The DW must be freaking out.

Get some ant spray and kill those suckers.

Vin.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
The DW must be freaking out.

Vin.

She is freaking out!

We have some fellow campers picking up some stuff for us right now.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2007 Chevy Tahoe V8
Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
NELA

I read on Pinterest this weekend that cinnamon will deter ants. Sprinkle it in a perimeter around your RV. That should be acceptable to the "enviros".

We use bug spray....as soon as we're set up....around ANY area that comes in contact with the ground.

I've also read that a perimeter of plain old corn meal will stop 'em. Also enviro friendly.

If you have an exterminator contract for your S&B and keep your RV at home, have them take care of it every month too as an added line of defense. Our exterminator does the RV at no extra charge.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

We just dealt with this in Florida. Wife was losing her crap over it.

First, we went looking for their path in. With a flashlight, we inspected the whole bottom of the camper focusing on anywhere there was a path from the ground to anywhere inside of it. We found that our black tank flush water hose ran through an ant hill on the way to the camper. This was toward the rear of the camper but we found that most of the ants were towards the middle to front.

First, we cleaned as much as possible- vacuuming all messes and wiping things down with cleaners anywhere that seemed like a target for ants. With the 2 kids, this was a constant battle.

Second, we went to Walmart and got the most gnarly looking ant/bug spray that we could find. Ironically, we had already sprayed this around once- just not where the hoses went in. Each hose and tires got hit.

Third, we bought a pack of 6 Terro Ant Bait traps. We put them in each area that had high concentrations of ants. The one place that seemed to help get some was the front propane compartment.

My wife also used an eco/kid friendly ant spray inside. I don't know what was in it, but we suffered an overwhelming smell of peppermint for a while.

It took about 3 days before we saw a drastic reduction in ants and about a week until we didn't see any more.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We just dealt with this in Florida. Wife was losing her crap over it.

First, we went looking for their path in. With a flashlight, we inspected the whole bottom of the camper focusing on anywhere there was a path from the ground to anywhere inside of it. We found that our black tank flush water hose ran through an ant hill on the way to the camper. This was toward the rear of the camper but we found that most of the ants were towards the middle to front.

First, we cleaned as much as possible- vacuuming all messes and wiping things down with cleaners anywhere that seemed like a target for ants. With the 2 kids, this was a constant battle.

Second, we went to Walmart and got the most gnarly looking ant/bug spray that we could find. Ironically, we had already sprayed this around once- just not where the hoses went in. Each hose and tires got hit.

Third, we bought a pack of 6 Terro Ant Bait traps. We put them in each area that had high concentrations of ants. The one place that seemed to help get some was the front propane compartment.

My wife also used an eco/kid friendly ant spray inside. I don't know what was in it, but we suffered an overwhelming smell of peppermint for a while.

It took about 3 days before we saw a drastic reduction in ants and about a week until we didn't see any more.
Try to explain the highlighted above.

When you sprayed inside, was it an aerosol. If it was, how did the CO alarm like it?

I hope you didn't get any ants in that long, flowing mane of yours!

Welcome to FLORIDA!

Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote