Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #1

anything to share about your Roo's

got a new to me 2014 Roo 233s

what was nice the previous owner put in LED lights around the floors, shelves in the cabinets, and a battery kill switch. these are pretty cool additions to the trailer.

has anyone else done any additions.. any tricks i should know about? Anything i should know about that would make camping easier?
NJCamperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCamperRoo View Post
got a new to me 2014 Roo 233s

what was nice the previous owner put in LED lights around the floors, shelves in the cabinets, and a battery kill switch. these are pretty cool additions to the trailer.

has anyone else done any additions.. any tricks i should know about? Anything i should know about that would make camping easier?

Led awning lights

Upgrade to two 6 volt batteries If you plan to camp in places without power.

Before you go close the tent ends, close all windows and doors and start your vent fans. It creates a vacuum which draws in the tent canvas and keeps them from getting fouled up in the seals.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #3

I have a Shamrock which is the same as a Roo. If your 2014 is like my 2017, you will find the light switch at the door turns on every over head light.

We did not like this, so this Fall, I purchased push button replacement lights. Now we can independently choose which lights to turn on and off.

A very simple and inexpensive upgrade that you can do yourself.

Have Fun!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180318_163614517_HDR.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	167804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180318_163642813_HDR.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	167805  
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #4

One of the best "tricks" I saw when first getting our Roo was this Youtube video someone posted on how to close the bunk ends. It's genius:

2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
I have a Shamrock which is the same as a Roo. If your 2014 is like my 2017, you will find the light switch at the door turns on every over head light.

We did not like this, so this Fall, I purchased push button replacement lights. Now we can independently choose which lights to turn on and off.

Have Fun!
Ron
Interesting... My 2016 shamrock has the main switch at the door, but each light also had a switch on it's base so we can select which lights we want on or off once the main switch is on.
I did add some motion activated battery powered lights to the closet. Now I can see way back in the closet.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Interesting... My 2016 shamrock has the main switch at the door, but each light also had a switch on it's base so we can select which lights we want on or off once the main switch is on.
I did add some motion activated battery powered lights to the closet. Now I can see way back in the closet.
The only lights that came with independent switches were the bathroom, the dinette light and the two reading lights by the couch. The 7 ceiling lights were either all on or all off.
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
The only lights that came with independent switches were the bathroom, the dinette light and the two reading lights by the couch. The 7 ceiling lights were either all on or all off.
That would bug me too if all those ceiling lights did not have the switches at the base of each light. We frequently have on only a couple at a time.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #8

what was it that he put at the top on the track? happen to know by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maman325 View Post
One of the best "tricks" I saw when first getting our Roo was this Youtube video someone posted on how to close the bunk ends. It's genius:

Old 04-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #9

on the one we have. each light has a switch on it after you turn the main light on. but if that wasn't the case i would be changing out like you stated.

Quote:

Have Fun!
Ron
Old 04-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Looks like he put on a homemade device to prevent water intrusion from the top.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
I didn't catch that - at what time in the video was it?

It does look like the hardware has changed a little bit - but the idea is the same.

My unit didn't come w/the side straps he shows. And I'm now noticing that while I do put the shepherd's hook in the fold of the mattress, I put the rest of the tent frame on top of where the mattress folds over rather than under it - am going to have to try it the other way & see how it works in comparison. :-)
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maman325 View Post
I didn't catch that - at what time in the video was it?
He did it right at the end of the video. About 15 seconds left. Looks like a modified PVC pipe. Being round, not sure how it keeps water out of the space between the device and the trailer. Seems like it would catch just as much water. But, hey, if it works.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #13
Boondocking Only

Invest in some PopUp Gizmos. Well worth it, especially if you boondock. Enjoy!
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
He did it right at the end of the video. About 15 seconds left. Looks like a modified PVC pipe. Being round, not sure how it keeps water out of the space between the device and the trailer. Seems like it would catch just as much water. But, hey, if it works.

If you take a good look at how the bunks are designed, the pvc keeps water from coming in contact with the bunk seal by routing water to the c channel that is attached to the trailer behind the seal and down the front of the bunk. Pretty simple design and even if the seal was compromised or not making a good seal, it would still keep water out of the bunk end.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #15

One of the problems with the hybrids is condensation in the bunk ends both on the tents and especially under the mattresses. I leave a corner or part of the top flap on the end open at night just enough to even out the temperature and let air circulate.

To solve the problem of the condensation under the mattress caused by the temperature difference between outside and the body heat on the mattress, and after listening to many threads over what semi worked for others, I went down to my local fabric store and got 1) tablecloth fabric (vinyl on one side) 2) batting made for the inside of potholders and winter outerwear (Insul Bright). It is basically a silver heat reflective layer sandwiched between two layers of batting 3) a nice cotton fabric for the top. Make a three layer sandwich with each layer sewn first to the size of your full bunk end floor with layer 1 vinyl side down, then the batting 2, then finally the cotton side up. Sew around the edges and put on a binding if desired. Put vinyl side down between floor and mattress. No more condensation! Relatively inexpensive to do both queen bunk ends too!
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
Canadian Member

He said the pipe is a 1.25" PVC pipe that he cut 1/4 of the pipe out for the full length. He slides that on to straddle the seal along the top of the bunk door to prevent rainwater from getting to the seal.

It's absolutely critical that those seals keep water out because if they don't the doors will delaminate and the wood platforms at the end of the bed will get wet and may rot.

Our '09 Roo had the old style bunk doors without the permanently attached canvas and the door frames were not constructed well. The screw heads weren't flush and would prevent the seal up there from having complete contact with the door frame which allowed some water to get past and sit on top of the canvas. So I'd have puddles on top of the canvas when I opened the doors. I had to have both bunk doors replaced.

I think I had the problem solved before I sold it but I just could stand worrying about it every day so I went to a regular TT.

Hopefully the new seal design is much less dependent upon the skill of the installers and the seal doesn't contact on the line of screws holding the door frame on.

Edit: I found the thread where the idea came from:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...heap-4571.html
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #17

We added a second 12volt battery and invested in a solar suitcase 120. Would not recommend mounting because the beauty of it is that you can move it around to follow the sun. Living in the east we mostly camp in the woods but if you travel out west it is invaluable. We also like the front deck area of the 21bd. We keep things that we don't want inside and when front bed is extended it covers this area from rain.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo