Old 06-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #1

Are we tooo heavy!

We are busy purchacing items for our trailer and we need to make sure we keep the weight down, as we are pulling with a van. I saw this photo today while searching, and had to laugh. I think this expresses how we are feeling about the trailer being overweight!

But here is a picture of our actual trailer too . . . shamrock 21 ft. 2003. UVW 2550 pounds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigPull.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1606   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2160.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1607  

ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
What van is the TV?

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #3

The TV is a 2008 Sienna with a tow rating of 3500 pounds. It has a tow package with a cooler etc. The dry weight of the trailer is 2550 according to all the stickers inside and the owners manual. So this should give us enough room for gear if we are careful . . . but we do not want to be at the top numbers if possible. So I find myself in Walmart comparing every dish and pot etc to find the lightest!

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
Old 06-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #4

i would go weigh the trailer empty and dry to get a REAL weight then go from there
also weigh your TV full of fuel and you and compare that to your gvwr for the van, this gives you a real number of how much stuff you can carry in the van
and find your GCVWR which is your max combined weight rating of your van and make sure your van and rv dont exceed this number.

I.E if your van has a gcvwr of 6000 and your van weighs 3500 and your rv weighs empty 3000 then your over weight.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #5

I am a little confused about the "real weight" issue for the trailer. I am not sure if it is different in other contries, but in canada we have really stict laws about labeling etc.
I was told that the UVW is the weight of the trailer as it left the factory, thats what the sticker in the cabinet says too. . . . why would that change? There have been no upgrades to the trailer. Please clarify . . . and we will weigh it on the weigh scale . . . I asume we disconnect it drom the hitch and weigh it by itself? is this correct? Do we weigh the van as well?

This is the info that I have found about the van, but am unsure of the interpretation, According to charts the GCVWR for the van is 7827 pounds (I found this online)
Also found this info online about the van:
Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 5,690, curb weight (lbs) 4,270, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 3,500 and max payload (lbs) 1,420
The sticker inside the trailer says 2550 pounds UVW
Thanks if you can interpret

Lady Wendolyn

Manitoba Canada
Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The brochure lists my Surveyor as 4139 lbs. The interior luxury package lists 208 lbs., and the exterior luxury package is 267 lbs. That adds up to 4614 lbs……exactly the number on the certificate of origin, and the label in the cabinets. But the trailer was also shipped with (weights are from the brochure): Outside grill (15 lbs.), raised panel fridge doors inserts (18 lbs.), roof ladder (15 lbs.), which is another 48 lbs. that is not reflected with the UVW. After adding propane to the tanks, a battery, and the Reese Dual Cam equipment on the tongue, our Surveyor weighed 4760 lbs. coming across the local quarry scales on the way back from the dealer.

So maybe you can see how the UVW could not be exactly accurate. And then you start adding gear.

As others have posted, the best way to determine the actual UVW is to go across some scales. Weigh the combination, come home and drop the trailer, then head back to the scales and get a weight on your TV. The difference will be your trailer weight.

Rock quarries, grain stores, or CAT scales can help you with that.

You might be just fine with the combo you have, but you need to know those weights, especially if you are close to the limits.

I think the lady at the local rock quarry is getting tired of seeing me.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #7

Thank you so much for your help . . . I told my husband the numbers and he said . . . oh no! I may have to go on a diet (LOL)

Lady Wendolyn

Manitoba Canada
Old 06-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
dne

We are over weight too!

just purchased privately a 2005 shamrock which the indoor uvw of 3120 lbs. I pulled onto weight scale which read 3900 lbs.

I took everything out of trailer except food and it weighed 3760 lbs.

I drained the grey, black and fresh tanks via valves.

I didn't drain the hot water tank or lines. I should have run pump dry into grey before dumping grey.

Not sure how i could be 600 lbs too heavy.

The previous owner put two marine 6 volt batteries instead of one 12 volt. That is the only modification to the trailer.

The levels are reading grey 1/3 full and black 2/3. I feel the sensors are reading incorrect. I tapped on the grey tank and it sounds empty. I tapped on the black it may have some fluid in it.

My next step was to run pump to empty system and drain black again. Then run water through entire system to clean out especially black.

How can i check/clean sensors?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
dne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #9

As you may have already discovered terms like "dry" and "shipping" are totally meaningless. No one will ever tow a trailer even close to those mystical numbers. What you need to do is load the trailer and mini van up like you are going to go camping and go to the scales.. Your Sienna's tow rating is based on a stripped vehicle with a 1/4 tank of gas and one 150 pound driver. Everything you add above that reduces that 3500 pound number pound for pound. Second problem is that while you may be able to handle a 3500 pound flat bed trailer with a load of bricks on it, you are attempting to tow a large brick with a lot of wind resistance. IMHO you will be really lucky to achieve 45MPH and maintain that speed without serious issues. Maybe it is time to start searching for a larger TV.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dne View Post
just purchased privately a 2005 shamrock which the indoor uvw of 3120 lbs. I pulled onto weight scale which read 3900 lbs.

I took everything out of trailer except food and it weighed 3760 lbs.

I drained the grey, black and fresh tanks via valves.

I didn't drain the hot water tank or lines. I should have run pump dry into grey before dumping grey.

Not sure how i could be 600 lbs too heavy.

The previous owner put two marine 6 volt batteries instead of one 12 volt. That is the only modification to the trailer.

The levels are reading grey 1/3 full and black 2/3. I feel the sensors are reading incorrect. I tapped on the grey tank and it sounds empty. I tapped on the black it may have some fluid in it.

My next step was to run pump to empty system and drain black again. Then run water through entire system to clean out especially black.

How can i check/clean sensors?

Any other ideas? Thanks!
seeing that you posted on a 2 year-old thread, that is in the wrong section of FRF, you might want to post your question in the Expandable/Hybrid section here at FRF.

there's even a Shamrock sub-section.
it would help knowing which model Shamrock you have.

are you saying that the inside factory sticker is stating the UVW is 3120lbs. with the options included? the owner or the dealer may have added other options after it arrived from the factory, like the a/c or the spare tire.
that doesn't include the weight of propane and battery.
how did you weigh the trailer?

you should have a drain on the FW tank, without having to pump it out.
and this must be your first trailer with holding tanks. the sensors are famous for their inaccuracies. most owners never get them completely clean. some replace these cheap OEM ones with aftermarket ones, like the Horst Probes.

bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote