Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

battery charging troubles

Just got my new (to me) Roo. I left it plugged in for a few days and then unhooked it from shore power. I turned on the radio tonight when I was putting some supplies in it and getting it set up for it's maiden voyage. Well no radio came on. No lights came on. I looked all around the thing and there is no AD to DC switch. Do I have a bad battery? Finally went and checked the connections to the actual battery and THERE IS NO BATTERY IN THE BOX!

So a P.S.A....you have to have a battery for it to charge.
Parr8hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Excellent troubleshooting!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Site Team

You also have to have a battery to operate the brakes during a break-away. Required by most if not all states.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
Site Team

I'd be angry at the seller for letting you drive off without a battery or telling you to bring one, since you're required to have one to operate the breakaway switch.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #5

The good news is you will have the battery you want!
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'd be angry at the seller for letting you drive off without a battery or telling you to bring one, since you're required to have one to operate the breakaway switch.
I am actually a bit angry.

There were plenty of things I had to buy. Sewer hose, awning tool, leveling jack tool, TV, new tires....

This used, cheap trailer is getting expensive. I wish I would have known more to ask him about these things when I was looking at it. But I still feel like I got a pretty good deal.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
The good news is you will have the battery you want!
Which brings me to my next question...

Which battery do I want? Obviously a deep cycle, marine battery. But is there a certain brand, or size that most people seem to like better?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parr8hed View Post

Which battery do I want? Obviously a deep cycle, marine battery. But is there a certain brand, or size that most people seem to like better?
First, if you plan on dry camping or boondocking, then you should get two deep cycle batteries. Best would be two 6v golf cart batteries.

But if you will always camped with electric hookups, a single deep cycle battery is fine.

Also, a marine battery is NOT a true deep cycle battery. Any battery that has a CCA or MCA rating, isn't a true deep cycle.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
First, if you plan on dry camping or boondocking, then you should get two deep cycle batteries. Best would be two 6v golf cart batteries.

But if you will always camped with electric hookups, a single deep cycle battery is fine.

Also, a marine battery is NOT a true deep cycle battery. Any battery that has a CCA or MCA rating, isn't a true deep cycle.
Thanks! I ended up buying the cheapest, smallest "Deep Cycle RV/Marine" battery at autozone. I have no idea what type of camping I will end up doing. Once I get out there camping I'll figure it out. For now it will mostly be at state parks with electric.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks! I ended up buying the cheapest, smallest "Deep Cycle RV/Marine" battery at autozone. I have no idea what type of camping I will end up doing. Once I get out there camping I'll figure it out. For now it will mostly be at state parks with electric.
lucky you. the first 8 years we owned our Roo, we lived in California.
their state parks have less than 1% with any hookups, so camping without them is pretty much a given, since you have to win the Lottery to get one with electric hookups.

so we had to learn how to become dry camping veterans. so, that meant two deep cycle batteries, Honda 2000w, 6 gallon fresh water jug, 15 gallon blue tote tank and a 400w hard wired inverter.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:

Biggest deep cycle battery the box will take.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #12

I went out to check on it this morning and everything works much better when not plugged in to shore power now that it has a battery. Best. Mod. Yet.

Tags
battery, charging