Old 04-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #1

Brand new hybrid bunk leak.

Our 2015 Shamrock 21DK has been exposed to alot of rain this past week...picked it up monday in the rain, and its never dried out enough to close it back up. I had read someplace that the seams need to get wet to swell and seal, so we have kept a close eye...overnight monday the rear bunk had some water get in, appears to have gotten in under or around the bottom of the tent where it attaches to the bed. not alot but in several places. The next rain it was dry after, but wet again after the 3rd day. I can see clear silicon on the corners but not on the rest of the seam attachment. Anyone else seen or heard of this?
I've talked to the dealer and a tech is supposed to call me back about it.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Take The Road Less Travld

We ran into this the first week we got our Roo. It was open with several days of rain before it had a chance to dry out. Just like you, it had one day of drying out, then back to rain where yes, I had more leaks. there was not enough time to properly dry in the sun before the next days rain hit. I removed the beds from the bunk ends to keep them dry and prayed while towling off the bunk ends several times a day. Be assured, that once you get some sunlight and more then 24 hours of time without rain, you will be fine. I have not had an issue since.

I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

Yetavon, a couple weeks after I first got my 2015 Shamrock 21DK, I'd go to open up the bunk ends and notice just a small amount of water laying on the bottom lip in same spot you mention. After searching on this forum I found the very easy PVC mod to add to the top of the bunk doors. Since adding these I see no more evidence of water in that bottom lip when opening up the bunk ends. To hold the PVC in place while traveling I simply drilled out 2 small holes on each end and just ran a clear tie wrap thru it, secured to the bunk latch. Works great. Pain in the ass to have to add something to a brand new trailer to keep it from leaking but thus is the nature of a hybrid I guess. It's an investment so better to be safe than sorry and the mod is cheap n easy fix.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 21DK -sold
2016 Grey Wolf 29BH
skidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #4

Thanks all, But Skidog this is with the bunks open that I got the leak, but have seen that PVC mod on here and its on the ToDo list....pipes in the barn...
Our 1st trip is this weekend ans 85% chance of rain on Saturday so we will see...
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #5

Ours did the same day of drying in the sun seems fine now
Old 04-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
Old Ram Guy

This may not help much with your current leak problem, but I have had two hybrids and two popups over the years and I always Scotchgard the bunk end fabric and the seams once they have had a chance to cure. I spray it on pretty heavy the first time and reapply the Scotchgard each year. I've never had a leak on any of them . . . knock on wood! Good luck and happy camping.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
Thanks all, But Skidog this is with the bunks open that I got the leak, but have seen that PVC mod on here and its on the ToDo list....pipes in the barn...
Our 1st trip is this weekend ans 85% chance of rain on Saturday so we will see...
You should have gotten some information with your camper about bunk end maintenance. I did with my 2014 233s. In this paper it stated the thread used in the bunk ends will expand in time. During fabrication, the needle leaves a hole larger than the thread. Believe it or not, adding water to the stitching, like hosing it down, will expedite the thread expansion. I removed my mattresses and hosed the heck out of it after I got the camper home. I could see water coming through the stitching. After it dried, it never leaked again. Until then you can expect to get a small amount of water through the stitching. This may not be where you're leak is stemming from, but something you can look into.

I second the PVC mod. I leave mine on when the camper is not in use, and tie them on with small bungees when in transport.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
2014 Runaway Navigator
2013 GMC Yukon XL
Nights camped in 2017 Only 11 - so far
Nights camped in 2016 32
husky family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #8

Our 2014 233s had the same situation. After two or three cycles of soaking rain ( garden hose) and completely drying they have become totally weather proof. They call it seasoning the stitching. After that we experienced total down pours in thunder storms last season with no leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky family View Post
You should have gotten some information with your camper about bunk end maintenance.
Yes.

Op - See the second picture in this thread ...

Roo Hybrid Bunk End Canvas Care & Maintenance

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Yes.

OP - See the second picture in this thread ...

Roo Hybrid Bunk End Canvas Care & Maintenance
Thanks Triguy, I looked for this thread before posting but couldn't find it.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
2014 Runaway Navigator
2013 GMC Yukon XL
Nights camped in 2017 Only 11 - so far
Nights camped in 2016 32
husky family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid, leak