I had a similar problem with my 2007 but it was inside the trailer with the support bracket that the wire to support the tent ends attaches to. I could see when the tent was extended the bracket was no longer flush with the wall and the outside screws were stripping. Turns out at least 4 of the 8 screws had damaged holes that needed fixing. Likely culprit is water somehow getting on the wood behind the bracket and softening up the wood so it would no longer hold the screw. I tried a couple fixes including the match stick repair and also gluing in a wood dowel and drilling a pilot hole all to no avail. The board being screwed into is just to thin to support any reasonable repair especially when the wood is compromised.
What I did end up doing, and it has held for over 20 nights this season, is I drilled through to the outside and installed a bolt all the way through with a large (1") washer in place of one of the 8 screws. On the outside the hole is perfectly centered between the door and the outside wall. The door, on the outside, already has a couple similar factory bolts/washers for other reasons so I sized my washer to match and painted it white as well. It worked so well I was tempted to upgrade the bracket on the other side with a matching fix to prevent a similar out come down the road. Under the washer is a rubber washer and I used RV caulk around the bolt head. The nut on the inside is only slightly bigger than the existing screw heads but it's behind the curtain anyhow so it's not an issue.
The moral of the story is maybe replacing one of the screws to support the latch with a properly sized nut/bolt will save your requiring a costly repair.
2007 Shamrock F19 hybrid - 2010 (22 nights), 2011 (24 nights), 2012 (11 nights)
2013 Surveyor Select 235RKS - 2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)