Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
PineForestCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 319
Bunk Ends Down In Snow...

I camped on the launch pad over the weekend. We got some rain on Saturday/Sunday and the bunks have not gotten dry enough to put back into place. Here it is Tuesday and of all things its snowing……again. Weather forecast is calling for less than an inch tonight…three to five inches on Wednesday..and snow showers on Thursday and Friday. There is no hope of putting those bunk ends up completely dry at this point.

Looking for some input…When would you put up the bunk ends….before the real snow begins and leave them closed until possibly Saturday or at least until after the snow ends…or do I leave them down until the snow ends or and ride out the winter weather? Looking for some ideas here from others with snow experience.

With the popup we always pulled the canvas out to dry in summer temps after getting wet and only camped thru snow once in Yellowstone. Lots of July sun there and 70 degree daytime temps to dry things out. Not going to happen in this case. This has been a wickedly wild year so far!
__________________

__________________
2009 Chevy Silverado/2500/6.0/3.73/CC
2016 Keystone Outback 250URS
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s (SOLD)

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
pony express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 101
Not sure if this will help we got stuck in the rain had to pack up to head home no break in the weather for at least a week predicted so when we got home we placed dehumidifier inside and opened to the sun asap about three days I think. Good luck
__________________

__________________
Roo Crew: Sheryll /Jayne / Lyndsey
2011 f150 screw w/ecoboost
2012 rockwood roo 233s
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
I think Pony has the best you can hope for. If it were me, I'd close it up and try to mitigate it as much as possible.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
You certainly can close them if you wish but I don't think you need to. We've camped in snow before in hybrids and popups and did not have a problem. We did clear the heavy snow from the bunks periodically.

If you do decide to close it up beforehand, then I really like the idea of using a dehumidifier. Also, use blankets for any runoff from the already-wet canvas into the trailer.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
4kmprs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 229
i have seen a dealer in the canton ohio area that has hybrids on their lot with bunks down in all kinds of weather. i drove by a couple times while it was snowing, but i didnt see any snow accumulation.
__________________
Kevin, Meg and DDx2
2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2004 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 3.73 4x4
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Days Camped 2013 = 9 planned before April 1st
Local Ohio CGs - Punderson SP and West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
PineForestCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 319
Thanks for the replies. I got home and decided to close everything up. The snow/slush had stopped and there was a pretty nice wind so its decently dry but still a little damp. Snow begins again in a couple hours. I will open everything up after the snow stops on Thursday. It wasnt supposed to snow but the weather has been so unpredictable with forecasts changing up to the last minute.
__________________

__________________
2009 Chevy Silverado/2500/6.0/3.73/CC
2016 Keystone Outback 250URS
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s (SOLD)

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.