Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Bunk Ends Down In Snow...

I camped on the launch pad over the weekend. We got some rain on Saturday/Sunday and the bunks have not gotten dry enough to put back into place. Here it is Tuesday and of all things its snowing……again. Weather forecast is calling for less than an inch tonight…three to five inches on Wednesday..and snow showers on Thursday and Friday. There is no hope of putting those bunk ends up completely dry at this point.

Looking for some input…When would you put up the bunk ends….before the real snow begins and leave them closed until possibly Saturday or at least until after the snow ends…or do I leave them down until the snow ends or and ride out the winter weather? Looking for some ideas here from others with snow experience.

With the popup we always pulled the canvas out to dry in summer temps after getting wet and only camped thru snow once in Yellowstone. Lots of July sun there and 70 degree daytime temps to dry things out. Not going to happen in this case. This has been a wickedly wild year so far!

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Not sure if this will help we got stuck in the rain had to pack up to head home no break in the weather for at least a week predicted so when we got home we placed dehumidifier inside and opened to the sun asap about three days I think. Good luck
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Always Learning

I think Pony has the best you can hope for. If it were me, I'd close it up and try to mitigate it as much as possible.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You certainly can close them if you wish but I don't think you need to. We've camped in snow before in hybrids and popups and did not have a problem. We did clear the heavy snow from the bunks periodically.

If you do decide to close it up beforehand, then I really like the idea of using a dehumidifier. Also, use blankets for any runoff from the already-wet canvas into the trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Adventurer

i have seen a dealer in the canton ohio area that has hybrids on their lot with bunks down in all kinds of weather. i drove by a couple times while it was snowing, but i didnt see any snow accumulation.
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I got home and decided to close everything up. The snow/slush had stopped and there was a pretty nice wind so its decently dry but still a little damp. Snow begins again in a couple hours. I will open everything up after the snow stops on Thursday. It wasnt supposed to snow but the weather has been so unpredictable with forecasts changing up to the last minute.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote