Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you have bunk end leaks?
Never had any leaks at all 19 52.78%
Had minor leak, but it fixed itself 2 5.56%
had leaks, but I fixed them 10 27.78%
leaks like a sieve, cannot make it stop 3 8.33%
never been in the rain, fingers crossed 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Broken Toe

Bunk Leaks. Do you have them?

Back in my PUP days, Coleman PUPs (which I owned one) had a reputation of the roofs being junk and failing all the time. Lots of guys complaining about de-lamination issues. To read the forums, you should avoid Coleman Pop ups at all cost. To be honest, I probably would have passed on buying mine if I had read up on them before I bought. But the reality was that maybe only a few percent had a roof failure. But those owners were very vocal.

So I think Hybrids have the same kind of situation going on. So I would like to poll all owners about bunk leaks.I'm curious to see what the percentage of people having leaks is. Please check one of the options.

Thanks!
tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Leaks, NO!
Condensation, YES, occasionally under the mattress.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have no leaks.

Your point about a minor few having leaks but being vocal is probably the truth, Tim. We know very well that, as many member as we have (currently 45,558), we know that is a small percentage of total FR trailer owners.

The board, like most product boards, was started to discuss how to overcome problems so many if not most here have found us because of a desire to seek for help. That is as it should be and we would have it no other way. But, it will have an effect and so represents a skewed sample of the population.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #4

Hard rains and never a problem
Boat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

I have an 07' Cub bought used that the front bunk leaks. Thought some caulk would solve the problem but it did not. Calling the dealer to see what the fix is.
cshick5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Lots of guys complaining about de-lamination issues. To read the forums, you should avoid Coleman Pop ups at all cost.
I had a 1988 Coleman Sequoia for over 20 years. Stored outside, with no cover. I had NO leaks, NO roof problems. The only problem I EVER had with it was with the city water connection. Had to replace it once. And the frig wouldn't stay lit on gas after about 10 years, but electric (AC and DC) worked fine. We loved that PUP.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #7

Can't speak for the hybrids, but my last trailer was a 2280BH popup. I'm nearly positive the bunk design and material is the same though. Two years and never had any leaks at all.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshick5280 View Post
I have an 07' Cub bought used that the front bunk leaks. Thought some caulk would solve the problem but it did not. Calling the dealer to see what the fix is.
unless you've got a great dealer, your Cub is a Dutchmen product and Dutchmen hasn't had a very good reputation for customer service.
IMHO, Forest River has a better reputation than Dutchmen has, generally speaking. the worst one right now, is Crossroads.
Dutchmen and Crossroads are both owned by Thor Industries, Forest River's main competitor.

we can help you with general hybrid questions. like do you know where it's leaking? is it condensation from poor ventilation? are talking leaking canvas or leaking bunk door seals?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Cowracer, one issue with your survey.

hybrid leaks are usually divided into two camps.
one is the canvas ends leaking, the other is water leaking into the closed bunk door frame area, when it rains.

so, it might help if you better define which one you're asking about.

IMHO, leaking canvas is a much rarer issue, than leaking bunk door seals/frame, from my 8 years of being on Hybrid forums.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #10

No leaks. No condensation.
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #11

My son and I are driveway camping tonight and right at the moment it is pouring rain. He is sound asleep and I am keeping an eye on the trailer for leaks. First time to have a chance to check it with rain. So far no problem at all.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #12

I bought a used 2007 Roo and thought I had checked it out very thoroughly. Problem was that we are in a drought and everything was very dry. We then got a storm or two and happen to go camping a couple days later. Found both bunk doors to be spongy inside by the hinges. No delamination on the outside or spongy feeling. Once dried out the sponginess was gone, but if I pushed hard enough I could hear the luan layer crunch. I figure I'll have to rebuild doors within a year or so. No water has ever been visible. I suspect water runs down the frame when the bunk doors are closed and leaks in the the hinge screws and or cracks on the corners of the frame, then wicks up the door layers. Accessing the hinge screws to seal or tighten them does not appear to be a simple process. I think that would be one solution. Using stainless steel screws would also help keep corrosion/rust from contributing to the situation. I don't get why trailer manufactures don't use stainless. Cost does not outweigh the advantage.
Snowman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #13

No leaks on canvas and no condensations problems as I always keep windows at least cracked a little.

Did not have a problem with water entering from the closed bunks either.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #14

Wanted to check in after my experience on Thursday.

We stayed the last 3 nights at Silver Falls St. Park. Holy lighting/rain storm! We had roughly 90%+ humidity, with temps in the 60*F, and a total rainfall of the day somewhere around 2-2.35"!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3948973691.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	39367

We had a memory foam mattress topper on our front bed and it pushed up against the side if the canvas. Water seeped through, our fault but the mattress got wet!

Despite having the vents open and the heat going, we had major condensation issues. Mostly due to the massive amounts of rain and the cooler outer temps and the warmer inner temps.

Just wanted to update as although this situation was fairly unique, it is not that uncommon in the rain forest, AKA not where I am used to camping!

We still had high spirits and did not let ourselves get bent outta shape as these were both my/our fault!

Happy camping!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #15

Never had any problems with the tent ends, once had a condensation problem.

This year I noticed a soft spot on the front bunk door in the lower left corner. Also noticed some delamination on the fiberglass skin. Found that water leaked in and rotted the wood (such that it is). I am not sure where the water leaked in at, but it was wicked up by the wood and consequently rotted. Not sure how long this went on but I suspect for some time.

I think the leak may have been caused by the latches that press the door into the seal. The rubber piece on the latch was worn and I think the door didn't press into the seal very well.

I repaired the wood problem and replaced the foam insulation. I also beefed up the rubber pads.

Time will tell if I was sucessful.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
Site Team

Grizz, did you have Popup Gizmos/solar blankets also?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Grizz, did you have Popup Gizmos/solar blankets also?
I do have the 15-20 dollar solar blankets at home... I keep forgetting to put them in when we leave.

So in short, no I did not have pugs or any other type of covering on the bunk ends.

The other beds did not get damp or nearly as wet as the front bed but still had the condensation. I am attributing that to the memory foam pressing up against the canvas on all thee sides.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
Site Team

i think you would have much less condensation with the blankets.
you might want to do a test the next time, put a blanket on the front one and not on the others and see if there's any differences for you.
i know that it does make a big difference in condensation for us.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Broken Toe

Just an update from me. This weekend was our first time camping in what I would call a "serious" rainstorm. Everything stayed dry inside. Not a single leak, either with the bunks out, or during the 90 mile trip home in pouring rain.

I will say, there is something quite nice about sitting out under the awning during a downpour, drinking coffee, and listening to the rain fall. Of course, packing it all up in the rain wasn't very pleasant...

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-08_08-24-01_4.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	39468  

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #20

It certainly is not fun to pack in the rain cowracer. But I know what you mean, it is fun sitting under the awning listening to rain.