Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #1

canvas coming undone on hybrid- Kids can fall out?

HI there.
We are new owners of a shamrock 21dk. The canvas where it attaches to the floor of the bunk by the window is coming undone. You can literally put your hand outside. We have inserted the canvas back and put the "channel" back on it, but obviously it just keeps coming undone, and would not hold up to a kid pushing against it. Prior posts say people have just used silicone and date back a few years. Anyone else have any resolutions or pictures?

We have read a few posts on kids falling out, and know through a friend someone whose child had died by head trauma by falling out. Having 3 kids of our own, we are obviously worried. Thanks so much.
stephgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephgator View Post
HI there.
We are new owners of a shamrock 21dk. The canvas where it attaches to the floor of the bunk by the window is coming undone. You can literally put your hand outside. We have inserted the canvas back and put the "channel" back on it, but obviously it just keeps coming undone, and would not hold up to a kid pushing against it. Prior posts say people have just used silicone and date back a few years. Anyone else have any resolutions or pictures?

We have read a few posts on kids falling out, and know through a friend someone whose child had died by head trauma by falling out. Having 3 kids of our own, we are obviously worried. Thanks so much.
I fixed mine with silicone and screws a couple of years ago and have not had any issues since. See this thread for more info and pictures:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=111995
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Site Team

In regards to your question, I believe the reason that you're not getting much response, is that others have never heard of any child dying from falling out of a tent end.
I have been on various Hybrid forums for 15 years and have never seen such a story. I can count on one hand, any story of a child falling out but with no injuries. And those were from the older non pre-attached canvas ends, like what I had on my hybrid.
I have NEVER seen any post of this happening with the newer pre-attached canvas ends.
Remember, Popups have used canvas ends for decades, nearly all with the bungees/snaps canvas, no pre-attached canvas. Again I have never heard of any death from a child falling out of a Popup tent end.
This kind of incident would be on every hybrid and popup forum out there, yet I have never seen any report of this happening, till now.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I have NEVER seen any post of this happening with the newer pre-attached canvas ends.
Before I fixed mine (2016 Roo 183), our kids bedding had fallen out on the ground during the night, but fortunately not the kids.

As said previously though, no issues at all since fixing it. That was about 3 years ago.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

Thank you all for your input. Ecobra I had seen your comments no another thread, but never saw this one with the pictures. Thank you for the pictures. It really helped us so much. We were worried drilling through the canvas would make the material more likely to rip? You're awesome. Thank you so much.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephgator View Post
Thank you all for your input. Ecobra I had seen your comments no another thread, but never saw this one with the pictures. Thank you for the pictures. It really helped us so much. We were worried drilling through the canvas would make the material more likely to rip? You're awesome. Thank you so much.
You're welcome. Good luck.

Words of caution with the silicone...it can get messy if you're not careful. It doesn't matter at all on the inside of the bunk because it can't be seen. But, I also put a small bead on the outside. Don't overdo it.

No issues at all with the canvas ripping. I do tell my kids not to push on the canvas, but kids will be kids. They have had wrestling matches on the bed after I fixed it and I haven't noticed the canvas shifting or pulling out at all.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #7

Thanks.. .yes mine are all 5 and under and WILD boys!!! Thank you so much. Maybe we need to do the "scare them with what can happen" talk!! Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #8

Just finished reattaching the top and vertical sides of the bunk end. (Dealer replaced once as it came new with a hole).
After inserting the tab into the channel, the extra length wrapped around onto two sided tape, which kept it from sliding back out. Two man job for THAT one.
I've not looked at the bunk attachment.
The top ends should not get caulked as the caulk made it difficult to insert the tab, and made quite a mess.
Do not use too much. I ended up with a lump in one of the upper corners that kept the bunk end from closing. I had to do some trimming and tightening of the latch mechanism in order to correct.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

My sister fell out of ours. In 1965. We had an Apache, basically a box on wheels with beds that pulled out and a tent over everything. One night my dad went tearing out of the trailer. Mom and I wondered what he was doing. A few moments later he came back with my just over a year old sister in his arms. She was fine, but he was shook up. We upgraded to a hard sided travel trailer soon after that.
Bogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #10

canvas coming undone on hybird- kids can fall out

You didn't say how old your hybrid is. If its new, I would take it back to the dealer!
I have a 2016 and have no issues, but no kids.

We had a new 1989 Jayco pop-up and never had a problem with our two boys and the canvas bunks.
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemgoss View Post
I have a 2016 and have no issues, but no kids.
Mine is a 2016 also and the canvas pulled out of the channel the year we bought it (spring 2015). I chose to fix it myself because I thought the dealer would just apply more silicone and snap the channel back on with no additional screws. Also, didn't want to be without the camper.

The problem definitely started due to the kids pushing on the canvas and rolling against it at night, so if you're gentle with it (no kids) you may never have any issues.

Tags
hybrid