Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #1

Closed up camper: odors and flies

We have a 2015 Surveyor 191T. We have had wonderful experiences with it but have had a recent issue crop up. After a few trips this season we opened the camper to "show it off" to a family friend. What we found was a foul odor and LOTS of blow flies. All the windows and roof vents were closed up. I suspected that the traps had dried out and added water and deodorizer to each and cleaned up the flies. We had a trip on July 4th weekend and upon opening the camper to check on things yesterday we discovered the same issue. Is there another way that the flies could enter? Can I cover the plumbing vents with screen?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my secret hardened bunker.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
WFD

Is this with your trailer parked in the driveway at home? Or are you parked in a seasonal spot? If in seasonal, are you leaving yours tank drain valves open? You could be getting sewer gas coming up that way...wouldn't explain the fly problem though.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Well, it sounds like you let your black tank get dried out and empty.
BIG mistake.
You may a hardened Poo pyramid in the black tank.

You should always keep 3-5 gallons in it, along with some tank additive.

Next, get some vent covers so you can leave the vents at least cracked open some.
I'm not a fan of sealing the trailer up tight in the sun.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #4

Following our trips I always add a few bowls of water from the toilet along with a dose of black tank powder. The toilet slide/flush valve is closed with water over the seal. That's why I suspect the grey tank. This is our fourth self contained camper and I've never experienced this before.

Sent from my secret hardened bunker.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #5

Do you close all of the drains (sinks / showers) as well as the black and gray dump valves?
Old 07-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #6

I add a little mineral oil to the toilet to keet the seal from drying out.
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #7

Good idea..never thought about that. I can get mineral oil by the drum from work, lol.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #8

Make sure you don't have a vent pluged for the odors. Check for trash in places you don't often check. Flies shouldn't be getting in through traps and closed/even dry closed toilet valves. Is the odor gray or black? Shower drain is most likely offender if you don't use it often.
litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

In addition to the other remedies which all work. I was getting a smell from my hot water tank. I left water in it with the intentions of making another trip, well about a month later I had a bad smell. I drained the hot water tank and the water was foul smelling. I thought it was a pretty closed unit and I wouldn't have any problems, the water went BAD somehow. I now make it part of the storage prep when it will sit for a while, especially during the hot summer . Now during the summer I just have a stale smell that goes away quickly when the a/c gets turned on. I can't help with the flies they are probably there due to the odor.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Not unusual for the water heater to have foul smelling water after sitting. The water you were using had bacteria in it and in a closed warm space the bacteria flourishes. If you were using your FW tank to fill the WH, I suggest you sanitize the FW tank. Some people only drain their WH at the end of the season. If the water is good ( public water) you might get away with this. If you are using the FW tank and well water ( most campgrounds) you can get bacteria. To see this for yourself, fill a glass with water from your FW tank, cover it and let it sit in the RV for a few weeks, Uncover it and check it out. Odds are you will not want to drink it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #11

I was on campground water, although I did clean my fresh water tank. I just make it my practice to drain the heater, only takes a few minutes and i get to check my anode at the same time. I am still learning , I get tons of great info on this site.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #12

RV sinks and bathtub/showers have "P" traps much like your home has. The water in these P traps prevent odors from backing up through the system. If an RV sits for just a few days this water can evaporate and allow odors into the RV. As stated always keep a few gallon's of water in your tanks. This reduces bacterial growth and odors. We put a good squirt of olive oil in the sink and bathtub drains to reduce evaporation. Having vent covers and leaving them open just a bit helps also.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper