Old 10-16-2016, 12:44 AM   #1

Confused buyer !!!

Hello
First time posting, been doing a lot of research over the past few months, my family of 5 and I are long time tent campers. We are looking to purchase our first camper. We really like the idea of a hybrid camper. We like the floor plans, storage and ease of tow. We have looked at several campers and really like the '17 Roo 23ikss. I have read a lot about the older hybrids having issues with leaks, delamination, and door rot around the hinge and that has me worried. My question is what are some of the issues that are being found in the newer roo campers? Has forest river done a good job of fixing these issues? Just looking for some insight from some newer hybrid owners. Thanks for any info, hope to be a proud owner soon.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Well, I have an older model Roo, the 23SS.
I've owned it for 10 years and never had leaks, delamination or door rot.

I do agree that newer Roo/Shamrock hybrids have less of those issues.

With a family of 5, why aren't you considering the 233S. With the 23IKSS, someone is sleeping on the dinette or sofa.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:30 AM   #3

We did not get a chance to see a 233s. We felt like we had plenty of sleeping space with hide a bed. We really liked the counter space and storage in the ikss. We felt like a kid sleeping on hide a bed was a decent trade off. We looked at a couple bunk houses but in our price range the ikss appeared to be way more quality. I also did not want to pull a 30ft+ trailer with 2014 Silverado 1500, I do want to walk a 233s before a pull the trigger.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #4

Agree with Dan. Check out a 233s. We have an early 23ikss and think it's great, but it's only wife and me. When kids or grandkids come along , like 2 days ago, we fold out back bunk. Otherwise keep it up.
As your kids get older, they will want to bring friends along, so having that extra bunk will be handy.
But anyway, hybrids are great and anyone you choose will make your camping experience much easier than a tent. We followed a similar path as you....tent for a few years,2 popups for 10 or more years, and now our hybrid, just finishing our 3rd season in it this week. Great camper. Can't say enough good about itor the dealer.
Which brings up another point...the dealer. Shop for the dealer as well as the camper itself. A dealer can make or break your experience. I see you are in Indy. We are only an hour nw. We bought ours from Colerain in Indy and are very pleased. Good company that treats you right, and has good service.
Anyway, good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever hybrid you get.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. give some thought what seems big enough now may not be as family's change JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

Thanks everyone im going to rethink some things and walk a 233s before a do anything.
Jking46 I'm glad to here Colerain was good for you that's who I have been mainly talking to. I was really concerned about witch dealer to use, Camping World of Indy and Richmond has kinda rubed me wrong.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #7

We felt fortunate to get out of Camping World with our wallet intact. Very pushy...to the point of obnoxious. Richmond used to be Tom Raper, and we had the same feeling several years ago. We won't ever be visiting either establishment again.
As for leaks, we are currently at Missisinawa Reservoir enduring a pretty heavy rain. Not a drop inside. We'll be here all week and weather will be improving after today.
After this week the camper will be back at Colerain for winterizing and inspection. I can winterize, but I'm too old to be getting up on the roof of a camper anymore. They charge 89 bucks and will prep it in the spring as part of the deal. Cheap insurance to me.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsho View Post
Thanks everyone im going to rethink some things and walk a 233s before a do anything.
Jking46 I'm glad to here Colerain was good for you that's who I have been mainly talking to. I was really concerned about witch dealer to use, Camping World of Indy and Richmond has kinda rubed me wrong.
You need to do some research on Camping World reviews.
The vast majority of CW reviews are very negative, especially regarding repair services.
There are a few that have positive reviews but they are the minority.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, I have an older model Roo, the 23SS.
I've owned it for 10 years and never had leaks, delamination or door rot.

I do agree that newer Roo/Shamrock hybrids have less of those issues.

With a family of 5, why aren't you considering the 233S. With the 23IKSS, someone is sleeping on the dinette or sofa.
X2 on the 233S. That island in the 23IKSS is sexy, and there's a bit more floor space, but I can guarantee you that whoever gets stuck sleeping on the sofa or dinette will not be thrilled with the experience. If I were you, I'd swap that island and small dinette for the extra bunk and the larger U-dinette.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #10

Biggest issue with ours was the motor in the awning freezing up and needing replacement. This could have happened to any RV and is not specific to any one model. Our first hybrid was a 2008 183 model. We're empty nesters but the grown kids and grandkids visit. 2 are comfortable on the dinette and fold out sofa holds another (too short for me, but daughters like). We are thinking of purchasing a queen inflatable/deflatable mattress as there is room. With the standard dinette you can add a chair at the end for 5 seating and that island is a handy spot for serving platters. When you check the 233 get the family seated around that u shape to see how much eating space you really have.

2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse