Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #1

Confused buyer !!!

Hello
First time posting, been doing a lot of research over the past few months, my family of 5 and I are long time tent campers. We are looking to purchase our first camper. We really like the idea of a hybrid camper. We like the floor plans, storage and ease of tow. We have looked at several campers and really like the '17 Roo 23ikss. I have read a lot about the older hybrids having issues with leaks, delamination, and door rot around the hinge and that has me worried. My question is what are some of the issues that are being found in the newer roo campers? Has forest river done a good job of fixing these issues? Just looking for some insight from some newer hybrid owners. Thanks for any info, hope to be a proud owner soon.
Mustangsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Well, I have an older model Roo, the 23SS.
I've owned it for 10 years and never had leaks, delamination or door rot.

I do agree that newer Roo/Shamrock hybrids have less of those issues.

With a family of 5, why aren't you considering the 233S. With the 23IKSS, someone is sleeping on the dinette or sofa.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #3

We did not get a chance to see a 233s. We felt like we had plenty of sleeping space with hide a bed. We really liked the counter space and storage in the ikss. We felt like a kid sleeping on hide a bed was a decent trade off. We looked at a couple bunk houses but in our price range the ikss appeared to be way more quality. I also did not want to pull a 30ft+ trailer with 2014 Silverado 1500, I do want to walk a 233s before a pull the trigger.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

Agree with Dan. Check out a 233s. We have an early 23ikss and think it's great, but it's only wife and me. When kids or grandkids come along , like 2 days ago, we fold out back bunk. Otherwise keep it up.
As your kids get older, they will want to bring friends along, so having that extra bunk will be handy.
But anyway, hybrids are great and anyone you choose will make your camping experience much easier than a tent. We followed a similar path as you....tent for a few years,2 popups for 10 or more years, and now our hybrid, just finishing our 3rd season in it this week. Great camper. Can't say enough good about itor the dealer.
Which brings up another point...the dealer. Shop for the dealer as well as the camper itself. A dealer can make or break your experience. I see you are in Indy. We are only an hour nw. We bought ours from Colerain in Indy and are very pleased. Good company that treats you right, and has good service.
Anyway, good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever hybrid you get.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. give some thought what seems big enough now may not be as family's change JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #6

Thanks everyone im going to rethink some things and walk a 233s before a do anything.
Jking46 I'm glad to here Colerain was good for you that's who I have been mainly talking to. I was really concerned about witch dealer to use, Camping World of Indy and Richmond has kinda rubed me wrong.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

We felt fortunate to get out of Camping World with our wallet intact. Very pushy...to the point of obnoxious. Richmond used to be Tom Raper, and we had the same feeling several years ago. We won't ever be visiting either establishment again.
As for leaks, we are currently at Missisinawa Reservoir enduring a pretty heavy rain. Not a drop inside. We'll be here all week and weather will be improving after today.
After this week the camper will be back at Colerain for winterizing and inspection. I can winterize, but I'm too old to be getting up on the roof of a camper anymore. They charge 89 bucks and will prep it in the spring as part of the deal. Cheap insurance to me.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 10-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsho View Post
Thanks everyone im going to rethink some things and walk a 233s before a do anything.
Jking46 I'm glad to here Colerain was good for you that's who I have been mainly talking to. I was really concerned about witch dealer to use, Camping World of Indy and Richmond has kinda rubed me wrong.
You need to do some research on Camping World reviews.
The vast majority of CW reviews are very negative, especially regarding repair services.
There are a few that have positive reviews but they are the minority.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, I have an older model Roo, the 23SS.
I've owned it for 10 years and never had leaks, delamination or door rot.

I do agree that newer Roo/Shamrock hybrids have less of those issues.

With a family of 5, why aren't you considering the 233S. With the 23IKSS, someone is sleeping on the dinette or sofa.
X2 on the 233S. That island in the 23IKSS is sexy, and there's a bit more floor space, but I can guarantee you that whoever gets stuck sleeping on the sofa or dinette will not be thrilled with the experience. If I were you, I'd swap that island and small dinette for the extra bunk and the larger U-dinette.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Biggest issue with ours was the motor in the awning freezing up and needing replacement. This could have happened to any RV and is not specific to any one model. Our first hybrid was a 2008 183 model. We're empty nesters but the grown kids and grandkids visit. 2 are comfortable on the dinette and fold out sofa holds another (too short for me, but daughters like). We are thinking of purchasing a queen inflatable/deflatable mattress as there is room. With the standard dinette you can add a chair at the end for 5 seating and that island is a handy spot for serving platters. When you check the 233 get the family seated around that u shape to see how much eating space you really have.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

I STRONGLY recommend going to a dealer/RV Show w/family of 5 & spending at least an hour inside the hybrid/etc. you want to buy before pulling the trigger... We were really set on buying a new $20K 5000 lb. Roo 233S, etc. & towing it with a 1/2 ton SUV. Then we went to a RV Show & all tried to fit inside of one...

We didn't like that there were no separate areas to change clothes, etc. and that there was no large pass-through storage, etc. DW especially didn't like that one of us would have to crawl over the other to get out of bed... At the same time several friends were trying to sell us their hybrids & we later learned that they did not like them for the above reasons... The Roo 233S also has 4 large openings that have to be inspected regularly for leaks...

So for the same $20K we bought a gently used 2-slide 6,500 lb. bunkhouse, only 1,500 lbs. more than the Roo 233S... The kids' roomy slide-out provides a privacy door & separate beds for each. They can turn the bottom bunk into a comfy couch. Our master BR also has doors so all 5 of us can get dressed at once vs. taking turns... We LOVE the outdoor kitchen, outdoor access to bathroom, and roomy pass-through storage - again - all in a package that is only 1,500 lbs. more than the Roo 233S...

At 6,500 empty our Tracer 3150 is "1/2 ton towable" but we bring a lot of stuff along: 5 mountain bikes mounted in the dinette area, 3 inflatable kayaks, 3 scooters, firewood, etc. Therefore I opted to tow it with a 3/4 gas PU.

Just before we bought the TT I found a 2 year-old Ram 2500 CC for $14K, less than most 1/2 tons... The Ram had E rated tires & a payload of 3,000. At the time I only had an Accord but if I had a 1/2 ton I would have traded-up so that I could have the TT that best fits the needs of our family.

IMO it is easier to sell a PU truck vs. a used hybrid. Two local dealers really low-balled our friends who were trying to trade-in their hybrids & the dealers also always seem to have a lot of unsold (used) hybrids on their lots... We also live in OH where hybrids are not a true 3 season option... Our TT is still toasty inside when it freezes at night...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #12

Kinda hard to compare a 23 ft hybrid to a 34 ft hard side, dual slide bunkhouse. Both are boxes riding on 4 wheels but they differ greatly in ( obviously ) length and weight, but also price, ease of towing, ease of storage and maneuverability in tight campgrounds. For a first time camper owner used to sleeping under canvas, a hybrid can be ideal.
But the rhino is correct. Take a lot of time in any prospective camper. Twenty grand is a bunch of bucks so buy the one that fits YOUR needs best. Good luck.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 10-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #13
rbq

Something to consider. The 23IKS is nice, but you have no access to the bathroom when the slides are closed. We like the 233S that we have because of access to the bathroom on the road as well as able to access the fridge when the slide is closed. Only 2 of us, but we still open all 3 beds just for the room & then when the grandkids come we are able to sleep 8-10 easily. Smart to do the research & see as many models as you can. If there isn't a Roo dealer nearby check to see if there is a Shamrock dealer. They are same trailers with different fabric, etc.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #14

Thanks everyone the boat sport and travel show is here in February I will be going. I'm not to interest in getting rid of my 40k dollar truck for a 20k dollar camper. The one hard side that caught my attention was a prime time avenger 27dbs at 6400 lb but they don't seem to have the greatest reviews. There is just something about a hybrid that I like.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:28 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for the great advise! I had a chance to closely look and both TTs and
love them both, I had another question for you guys about how good your a/c works, a lot of the hybrid TTs in our area have the 13.5 btu a/c, one of the main reasons we are wanting to get out of a tent is to beat the heat. In Indiana we experience high 80s low 90s with high humidity in the summer, can we expect to get the trailer down in the 70s with pugs?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #16

If you're going with a hybrid, I'd go with the 15K btu unit if you think you'll be camping in hot weather. Better to be safe than sorry.

Make sure to look into PUGs (Pop Up Gizmos) and Reflectix for windows, too. Do a search for them on the forum and you'll learn all about them.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #17

I have been doing a lot of reading on the gizmos and reflectix. I had planed on using those products, the problem I'm having is finding a unit with the 15k, of course the sales men all claim its more than enough, I'm just looking for some users personal experience.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:37 PM   #18
Site Team

You should be able to get a dealer to switch out the 13.5k for a 15k.
You should make it part of the deal.
Seeing that you live in the RV manufacturing center of the world, it should be easy since there's so much competition in the Midwest.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 AM   #19

We have the 13.5 ac, no pugs, no reflectix, and have never felt the need for a larger unit. We camp mainly in Indiana state parks, which are nicely wooded. If we were camping in Florida or Texas, probably the 15.0 would be necessary.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #20

We are from Indiana too.
we bought our 23IKSS in March this year and took delivery in April.
We have traveled 6000 miles since delivery, including a trip to Grand Canyon and Nevada in July where we got ~110F of temperature for a couple of days.
So we are really using the trailer.
As I noted when I reported that big trip, the unit really didn't have any quality/manufacturing problem.
That being said, It's my experience that you will need to adjust some things because adjustments to use.
I did adjusted (its pretty easy) recently the latches of the bed doors for they became less tight as we use the trailer.
This is expected for when the latches are assembled new the components have a gap between them that after use tends to increase a little, therefore the stack up of those increased gaps leads to a loss of pressure when you close the door which may lead to water intrusion.
A simple test is to put a dollar bill in the middle of the horizontal top seal when you latch the door and pull that bill with the door closed/latched.
If you don't find resistance in removing the bill, the latch needs adjustment.
It may be that I had to do that because my unit was assembled in January and we used it in very hot environment, anyway here is a tip.
I also keep an eye looking for trouble and that was how I found out that the power line to the big slide motor was touching the manual rod and would, eventually, lead to a shorting. That was the only assembly missing that I found so far.
Overall, very happy with the construction of the unit.
Everything is working fine.
As for the model, we are a family of 5 (two teenagers) and we decided for the IKSS for two reasons:
1 - It has more storage space than the 233.
2 - We cook inside a lot, so the countertop space is important for us.
We solve the equation of sleeping space using the HAB option.
We do have the 15K air conditioning and we think it is a must (we do camp most of the time in hot places though).
We have pups and we think it's mandatory. We don't use them all the time but when it's needed it's a blessing to have them.

Cheers,

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse