Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Dish King Tailgater with 2008 Rockwood Roo

I am looking to purchase a Dish Tailgater for dual purpose. To use at football games and to also use when camping where I do not receive the best antenna channels. I see there is discussion about these units not working with the wiring inside of trailers. I have the antenna connection that is boosted and the an Cable/Aux that I "assume" is a direct connection to my outside input. I have a 2008 23ss. Does anyone have experience if I can run the tailgater through the cable/aux input on the outside to the internet output inside the trailer. or do I need to replace the cable with a higher quality?

Thanks

fvrs7189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

Our 2014 Roo has two jacks going in, one marked Cable and one marked Satellite. The jack behind the TV has two coming out also labeled cable and satellite. However I think the jack for the TV to connect on the outside of the trailer under the awning is only oneÖ So I'm not sure about that one.

But I'm assuming since we have two different lines installed on a trailer that the wiring is potentially different for each thing

Jonesclarinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #3

I use the internal wiring with no problems. I do have a small tester I bought at Home Depot that checks the circuit to be sure i have the correct wires. Once i did this and know for sure which wires to use I have no problems. Works just fine.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #4

I was thinking about doing the tester thing. Great idea. Thank you!
fvrs7189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

I just went through this with my new dish tailgater in our 2016 Surveyor. First, if you have the setup for cable in two sites, living room and bedroom, that means you have a splitter somewhere in the line. A splitter prevents the signal and necessary electric current, to reach the satellite dish. Our Surveyor has such a situation, so I removed the panels above where the tv mounts and found the three red cables for cable/ satellite as labeled on the rig. I don't have a tv in the bedroom and don't plan to, so was not concerned about having that capacity, so I removed each cable connection and, one by one, hooked them to the dish receiver. The final, and shortest, cable was the one that worked and sent signal and juice to the dish and it worked great. I went to ace hardware and got a cable to cable connector, drilled a hole in the panel and connected the live wire to the dish on one side and the cable from the receiver to the other and it worked fine. You do have to have the clear, unobstructed view to the south, no trees. The dish searches every fifteen minutes for the satellite so it's making noise regularly.
This sounds like a pain, and it was, but worth it. UNtil the RV industry and satellite companies fix the problem, which is in the wiring (which worked fine for cable), then owners will have to make adjustments to the system. I'm not sure how to do that if you want satellite at more than one site. BTW, I didn't alter the antenna so that should be unchanged.
Good luck!
relee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

You really have 2 potential problems. If a splitter is in the line you are dead. The other is ...some late model Dish recievers do not have coax outputs...just hdmi. This is not a show stopper but another game entirely. I have used a Tailgater for years through three different campers. I have run a lot of coax and recently hdmi cable with hdmi hub splitters.

rdmeado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo