Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #1

Do hybrid expandable trailers let you climb on the roof?

Do they have roof ladders?
Someday will buy one, but was told no ladder on side means you cant go on the roof?
How do you work on or inspect the roof if you cant go up on the roof? Like you want to buy one used. I would want to inspect the roof before buying a used trailer.
How abut the Forrest River models can you walk on their roofs?

I like the models with 3 queen tip out beds, and a side slide.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Just because there isn't a factory installed ladder you definitely can get on the roofs. You need to supply your own. When the units are built the workers are on the roof to install roof membrane, ac and vents. Members who have done the factory tour have reported 3 or 4 workers on the roof at the same time. Though some people use pieces of plywood to distribute their weight more evenly.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ladder mounted on the side of a tt.

As for a ladder indicating if a roof is walkable, that’s just wrong. I have a ladder, but the ladder was an option. It’s the same roof as the same trailer without a ladder.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Yes the roofs on the Rockwood Roos will hold your weight (I'm 225#) and are fine to walk around on... I wouldn't have a picnic up there but I do go up a few times a year to inspect and clean the roof...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #5

i have a 3 bunk hybrid... no place to install a ladder on front or back...
250# and I just use my 8 foot tall step ladder to get up there when I want...
take a ladder with you if buying new or used...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #6

I do have a real tall stepladder 12 foot tall. I sppose I could take it with me to get on a roof. Will an RV dealer let me get on the roof? I can imagine them saying its not safe we dont let customers go up on the roofs. Or we inspected the roof and it is in great shape. I am kind of thinking nothing older than 5 years. My budget allows for mid 20 thousands to buy something in the mid 20 foot range.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #7

if he did not allow me to inspect the roof then I would find another dealer

look for loose or missing sealant in the seams of the roof, sides and front and back...

inside look for ceiling stains and soft spots on the floor where a leak may have been and caused the floor to rot

but most important on a hybrid is to look at the bunk end doors and the hinge area where they attach and look for soft spots, rot, water stains, and bunk door delamination ( where the fiberglass bubbles away from the side causing a big bulge) usually showing where water got into the bunk door

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 04-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

look for loose or missing sealant in the seams of the roof, sides and front and back...

inside look for ceiling stains and soft spots on the floor where a leak may have been and caused the floor to rot

but most important on a hybrid is to look at the bunk end doors and the hinge area where they attach and look for soft spots, rot, water stains, and bunk door delamination ( where the fiberglass bubbles away from the side causing a big bulge) usually showing where water got into the bunk door
Good advice. How about condensation. Youtuber with one said the matresses were getting wet. like lots of water on the matress bottom blaming the humidity in the air? Anyone experience that? Their solution was to put matresses in plastic matress bags.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #9

there is often condensation in the bunk ends, especially when cool and damp outside...

think about it... high humidity in the air, in your breath, and evaporation from your body all add moisture to the bunk end... thin vinyl canvas end gets cool and condenses that moisture inside the bunk...

solution is to crack a ceiling vent, even in cold weather and unzip a bit of the tent end to provide some ventilation... I usually run a small fan, the bunk end fan all night... some go further and lay in some thin insulation under the mattress to keep out the cold...

it is the same issues in the same kinds of weather in a tent... ventilation is the key

most hybrids come with a 120 VAC electric heated mattress to help the bottom of the bunk condensation issue

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 04-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #10
Site Team

I used my 7' ladder to get on top of my hybrid. I also put down some plywood to distribute the weight.
Never seen a Hybrid with a factory ladder because there's no place to put backers for the ladder.
Also, there are caps between the roof and the bunk doors. They will not support weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
there is often condensation in the bunk ends, especially when cool and damp outside...

think about it... high humidity in the air, in your breath, and evaporation from your body all add moisture to the bunk end... thin vinyl canvas end gets cool and condenses that moisture inside the bunk...

solution is to crack a ceiling vent, even in cold weather and unzip a bit of the tent end to provide some ventilation... I usually run a small fan, the bunk end fan all night... some go further and lay in some thin insulation under the mattress to keep out the cold...

it is the same issues in the same kinds of weather in a tent... ventilation is the key

most hybrids come with a 120 VAC electric heated mattress to help the bottom of the bunk condensation issue
I wonder if you put that blue or pink foam panel insulation under the matress would it help then.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #12
Canadian Member

I can’t vouch for all brands but when we had our Roo, both myself and one of my sons were on the roof at the same time. Flagstaff Shamrocks are exactly the same construction. As some else said the factory works stand on the roof to install the AC and vents.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
I wonder if you put that blue or pink foam panel insulation under the matress would it help then.
It all depends on when and where you camp if you might have a condensation issue... spring/fall when temps lower overnight into the 50's or lower would be candidates for that...

I would wait... I found that I needed an additional 2 inch foam mattress on top of the stock one to be comfortable... all that insulation from my body AND ventilation has never caused me a condensation issue of my mattress... certainly the foam board would not hurt and is not much cash.

Winter campers also line the zip windows with Reflectix insulation cut to size... also google PUGS, which are external insulation clip-on covers that are popular with hybrid and popup owners.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 04-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
I’d be shocked if a dealer let anyone climb on top of a trailer. Too much liability.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #15

Quote:
I’d be shocked if a dealer let anyone climb on top of a trailer. Too much liability.
A pretty good roof inspection can happen with an 8 foot step ladder propped against the trailer at a number of locations on the sides...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 04-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
A pretty good roof inspection can happen with an 8 foot step ladder propped against the trailer at a number of locations on the sides...
Agree! I can see them letting someone looking at the roof from a ladder, but not climbing on top.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Agree! I can see them letting someone looking at the roof from a ladder, but not climbing on top.
My dealer let me do this, during the PDI/walkthrough. It allowed me to look at the roof caulking condition.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
My budget allows for mid 20 thousands to buy something in the mid 20 foot range.
Not to detour this thread, but back I. 2015 I purchased a new 233S for $21.5k.

Sounds like your budget allows for brand new.
KMANUEL74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #19

We have 2018 Rockwood Roo 24WS and roof is fully walkable and recommended to get up there to clean and inspect every year for proper maintenance.
No place for a permanent ladder on hybrid. Take your collapsible or folding ladder with you in case a quick roof visit is needed on your trip. Or hope a fellow camper has a ladder you can reach your roof with. I think most of us would lend a ladder to a fellow camper.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #20
Lame *****

Finding a good backing could be an issue. But side mount ladders exist.

Maggot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dont_copy.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	208781  
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, hybrid, roof, trailer, expandable