Old 04-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #11

I honestly do not know why you would turn it down to keep warmth in. You will get just as much insulation and reflective ness with the colored side down as with the shiny side down.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #12

That statement is corroborated on many authoritative energy efficiency web sites. Considering that fact, why does everyone mount it shiny side up? Isn't that rather unattractive, since we're all trying to get out into the woods and away from technology? Wouldn't camo or olive drab be preferable?

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
Former pop-up owner
Hybrid owner wannabe

- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #13

Ok, I'm confused.. So are you guys saying that you will reflect just as much heat with the green side as the reflective side?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheripoms View Post
Ok, I'm confused.. So are you guys saying that you will reflect just as much heat with the green side as the reflective side?
I can only speak for myself but yes, that's what I get out of numerous sources providing information about radiant barriers. It seems to work equally well either way? E.g., from the Florida Solar Energy Center:

FSEC-EN-15

Perhaps someone has objective information to refute that, or explain why I should not interpret it as I am.
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro

Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #15

I think there is still a tin side which is reflecting heat back down to the camper, as well as adding another insulate layer. However, you will not reflect as much with green side up as green absorbs more light than the shiny silver. It may be off-set. Even the pop-up gizmos website states that shiny side up in winter will works.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I can only speak for myself but yes, that's what I get out of numerous sources providing information about radiant barriers. It seems to work equally well either way?

Perhaps someone has objective information to refute that.
I agree, it should work equally well but only in cooler temps. On a 100 degree day I would imagine that with the green side up, the green would absorb more light and possibly retain some of that heat. I do think that extra layer will still help.

Sheripoms, If your blanket is a lighter color, such as orange, then it might not matter as much as orange does not absorb as much light as a darker color.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #17

Grizzlygibs I have blue solar ones. We live in Louisiana where it can easily get to be 100 degrees. So what do you guys think my best bet is.. Silver side up or down?
What confused me in the beginning was that solar survival blankets are made to heat up a human body but then they said to put the solar pugs on and it would repel the heat. Hmmmm verrryyy confusin to a non scientific mind like mine.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #18

Perhaps a PUG owner who also owns an IR thermometer can do an experiment for the benefit of all of us? Put one on shiny side up and the other shiny side down, with similar solar exposure. Open the windows to allow temperature equilibration, then measure the temperature of the inside of the canvas.

Do the opposite in winter conditions. Seal it up and make sure circulation distributes internal heat evenly. Again, measure the temp of the canvas.

Perhaps someone already did that?

Sheripoms, survival blankets don't heat people up and PUGs don't cool off your camper. What's happening in both cases is they're preventing radiant heat from crossing the barrier. Some might describe that as "reflecting" the heat but I don't know if that's technically accurate.

In the case of the survival blankets, it's your body's heat. It just prevents loss of what you're generating.

PUGs prevent solar energy from entering your camper in summer, keeping it cooler by reducing heat gain. In winter, it prevents the heat that's already in your camper (from your furnace, bodies, whatever) from radiating out into the atmosphere.

Chris
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro

Old 05-05-2014, 03:23 AM   #19
Moderators' Assistant

from a post by Bob Pitney from PUGs on another forum, he said that you should use the silver side up to reflect heat in hot temps but you don't gain any advantage in colder temps by putting the silver side down.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #20
Old Fella

I dunno, my Aussie logic says that if I get into a black car that has been in the sun it's quite a bit hotter than a white car.