Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

First real camping weekend

Hello all ~ Well, we are home from our first real campout. We had a freebie from Lazy Days and used it. Here are some lessons I learned

1 - Birds sing at 4 am. why?????

2 - You can hear birds singing in your ear at 4 am much better in the tent ends than with the bunk ends closed.

3 - the heated mattress is the bomb and it worked fine with my toppers - I was using 2 2". We actually turned it down from 6 to 4. We had the heat on as well but being in the beds hanging out over open air needed the extra warmth. It was 39 that night.

4 - The heat kept the inside reasonably warm but only having 2 vents isn't really sufficient if you're used to a non hybrid rv. Having said that, the heating vent in the bathroom is a Godsend!!!! I'm guessing if I had my Popup Gizmos it would have made a difference, however, it was so pretty during the day I doubt we would have fully covered the bunks anyway. I guess we could have inserted the window reflectors but didn't think of that......

5 - The outdoor grill was very nice! Much nicer than the one on our Jayco.

6- The bathroom worked out nicely. I was surprised the shower worked out as well as it did. Love a hot shower. The overthedoor towel holder was a good thing.

7 - I am using the adjustable bars on the medicine cabinet to keep stuff in when traveling. It didn't occur to me initially to remove them when we arrived but that became apparent rather quickly.

8 - On the second night, We closed up the bunk ends and slept on the sofa and dinette. Now did I sleep better because I was exhausted or because it was more comfy, quieter? I don't know but I did. We intend to do this regularly in the summer due to thunderstorms, humidity, etc.

9 - We will do our best not to park in populated areas. We were proly just under a mile from the interstate and heard it all night the first night, second was much better.

10- thought my kitchen would be contained to the kitchen area ~ not. Will relocate items over the sofa and use it for food storage. Pantry was great for kitchen stuff but not sufficient for that and food. This was for a party of 2 ~ camping with a family would def take better planning on my part.

11 - very happy with fridge and freezer. I used my autotimer on the coffee pot and enjoyed waking up to the scent of fresh coffee

12 - I had placed the silverware and cooking utinsels in the cab below the sink but that wasn't an ideal situation. Will have to work on that. Ideas appreciated. Thought about changing from the tray to a caddy, that may work better.....

Overall, set up and breaking camp was painless and reasonably quick. (I'd say we went from house to campsite in about 2 hours including travel time, etc. Very do-able for us. I'm sure over time we'll make necessary adjustments that will improve this for us.

I'm sure I have more to say, but my brain is fried for now ~ be back later.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #2

The only thing I can think of to add is that I did use the ironing board as a table idea several times and it worked well. I really like the height adjustability.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Ironing board?? Your camper came with one?? Oh..and 2 - 2" toppers? In a post on toppers you mentioned possibly getting a 4" topper. I smell a story here. 4am birds singing. Funny stuff. :-)

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

WM mostly using what we have leftover from previous units. Honestly, I have requested the 2.5" memory foam topper from Sams next "present" occasion. No, no ironing board ~ I was chatting with a couple of folks about the lack of counter space in the 233S and that I had a 16" x 36" nice piece of 1/4" plywood. I was trying to figure a way to make it into a collapseable shelf. Well, didn't figure that out but, I did realize a ironing board would work well. It's light weight (1), it stores flat (2) and it has adjustable heights (3). I would not use it around kids, large dogs and will not put anything hot on it but for everyday use, it's the bomb! For example, I used it while papering the shelves for the linen closet ( at counter height), I used it to hold vegies and containers while preparing food (counter height), set in front of the sofa for 2 people to eat (table height for the sofa) and put it between the "beds" to hold coffee, glasses and phones at a nightstand height. It really is handy and my favorite crazy idea to date