Old 08-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #11

I can add a tad for you, besides confirming what all here have already offered, don't really push yourself faster than the 65 mph range. I pull a ROO 233S with my Suburban which is a tad longer wheelbase than your Tahoe and what tend to "push" me around is just the big rigs passing or idiots speeding like the dickens and passing too close to me....they tend to make it feel as if the trailer is being "shoved" a tad sideways, but I think it is more my own mental freakout than any actual movement. I can say that the ROO front is rather "proud" and you are pulling a large wall down the highway so it ain't gonna feel like driving just the Tahoe alone. I am looking to upgrade my WDH (have one like yours) to the Equalizer System either this season or next. There are MANY folks out there and all over these forums that rave about the Equalizer setup. In either it or your current WDH, just make sure you have it set right, the tongue weight will make a HUGE difference in your experience. I have tried before changing the number of "hanging links" on the chain by 1....either adding 1 more or taking 1 more away...you can feel LARGE differences in behavior. Aim to get yourself as level (TV & TT) as you can and understand that what and how you pack will change that effort as well.

Finally, since your Tahoe is an 07, I am thinking you just have the 5 speed trans so your temp's are probably fine by my understanding, but you might just want to increase the service interval (oil replacement) on the trans as a result. My 12 Burb has the new Chevy 6 speed trans and all around Central Florida in the summer heat I tend to run 190-210 or so at highway speeds...which I keep to no more than 65 unless stuck in a sticky spot where I can't get to a safe gap and need to pass morons...which I will get to ~70 if I have to but I don't like to do that...typically 65 max and I slow down for un-respectful drivers to let them clear the road in front of me.

2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #12

How do you monitor the temp of your trans fluid?

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
How do you monitor the temp of your trans fluid?
Chevy has had it in the information center on dash for awhile now. I'm sure they all do now whether in a gauge form or digital
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #14

In my vehicle I have a read-out in the Information Cluster, it is in the stack of information along with tire pressures and engine run hours. Depending on the year of your vehicle, this may or may not be available, I have no idea what to do if it isn't sorry.
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
Site Team

I used to tow TT with same setup. Was taught to tighten anti sway as tight as I could with one hand then turn it back to point toward trailer. Sway was minimal except huge 18 wheelers passing would give a little push and tug. Make sure you are not too light on the tongue. That increases chance of sway problems. Hope you get it worked out. And, welcome.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #16

might need to adjust weight distribution bars. To little weight on rear of vehicle can cause handling issues too
davel1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #17

I have the trans temp display available on my RAM but old truck did not. Get a scanguage II which plugs into the tv computer and will display whichever parameters you want. ( up to four)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #18

My friend had the same problem with his camper he was given bad advice on how to set his weight distrubution system he was putting to much tension on system and was taking to much wight off the rear axle of truck and his hicth was set at wrong hight on tow vehicle.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #19

75mph towing a light weight travel trailer .... are you nuts . Slow down to 60 and most of your problems would resolve themselves. That sensation of being pulled around was most likely your trailer on the verge of Jack knifing.

You may want to consider doing a course through your local AXA motor club.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #20

Check tire pressures are even and where they should be. Check level on trailer. Check vehicle front to rear heights. If all are perfect. Check weight in trailer or vehicle. Too much weight in rear of trailer or wrong adjustments on WDH will cause crazy wagging and undulation in the trailer along with twitchy steering , or none at all. You should be able to tow that at 70. It should feel stable and solid. If all still is set right, one or both axles could be crooked. (I would consider this to not be the reason though, I say set up is the culprit here.)

Tags
first time, towing