Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #21

44 lbs load range whatever thatbis, is a must. Max pressure when towing. Max pressure in the trailer tires. Careful how you load the trailer. Tail heavy is bad. A little more tongue weight is good. Ton of stuff in the truck back is bad. Loaded waste tanks. At least on mine are in the back of the trailer. Is bad! I notice a full water tank too.
First trips with my 06 Suburban were with no LL hitch. Almost level loaded which is all LL bars do. Towed way better than expected. Last trip was with my 170 inch wheelbase Freightliner sprinter with LL bars. No sway control. Towed like a dream. Moved a bit by trucks. Just need to anticipate that. 65 max. You have a 4 spd auto. New body same drive train as 06. Tow in 3rd. These trailers are not light! Not sure what rear axle ratio you have and I don't either myself but on cruise up slight inclines if over 65 it wants to downshift to 2nd gear. Get off cruise and use your foot for those situations.
Trayscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #22

I have the identical set up as you with tv and tt. I have 07 tahoe and 23ikss. a few items I would recommend: first and foremost you are getting close to danger zone in trans temp...I never get above 180. add a trans cooler (about $100) or so and will help. also the v8 is deisgned to run at 3-4000 rpms all day long, thats where it gets its power. however I would pull in 3rd with your tow haul turned in and your transmission wint shift as much. 65 is what I tow at and I dont ever use cruise control. I use the 4 pt equalizer hitch with built in sway control. I have thought about the hensley or pro pride but dont know if I want to spend thr money. thr 4 pt takes out alot more sway than what you are currently using and distributes weight nicely. i would also head down to thr cat scales fully loaded and with everyonr that typically rides with you to makes sure you wdh is distributing properly and you arent over kn your rear axle (I was close before I dialed it in) just some thoughts for you
DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
ficksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #23

First time towing HTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMastaD View Post
Ok, we are on our maiden voyage in our Hybrid Travel Trailer. I have the WDH and the sway bar. I was really taken back by how much the thing threw me around. Is this normal? I had the sway bar snug and the turned it tight after being thrown around. I started off going 70 mph but backed off to about 65. Does anyone have any tips for me?
Also, my trans temp was at about 215 the whole time. And if I used the cruise the RPM was right around 3,000. Is this normal?
Thanks for the help! We have another 5 1/2 hrs on the road tomorrow.

Me, DW, our 3 sons and DD on the way
2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2007 Chevy Tahoe V8

You will probably be upgrading the Tahoe and two tent bed trailer by next year.
Was the expecting daughter brought into discussion prior to buying the 23ikss? Three boys on back tent and baby in a pack n play. Yikes😳
TBthwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #24

I use a k2500 sub and tow a 5000lb hybrid. My 4l80e 4 speed cooks along at 210 to 225 when towing in New England mountains. I had major temp spikes this year and was attributed to blockage in the cooler lines. Having 4 kids in a Tahoe, car seat(s), strollers, and a heavy htt that closes up tighter than a popup is problems indeed.
TBthwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #25
pxt

Does anyone know what the payload capacity is on the tahoe ' s?
pxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:01 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxt View Post
Does anyone know what the payload capacity is on the tahoe ' s?
Depends on year, options and its specs.
Just saying it's a Tahoe, doesn't help.
It's usually listed on the driver's door sticker.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #27

As others have noted...keep her 65mph or under. She'll pull more stable and you won't be white knuckled while driving. One thing you will feel on the interstate is when the big rigs go to pass by you, you will feel a pull...almost like the rig is sucking you close to it (which is exactly what it's doing). It only last a second or two, as the truck passes you the aero changes and that pull goes away but for a second you can feel it pull you closer to it. Just keep the wheel straight n all will be fine. If you watch any Nascar you will see that a lot when the cars are at big tracks like Daytona and Talladega. When two cars are racing side by side...you may see one car move over closer to the other (Earnhardt Sr. was a master at this). What is happening is the one car moving closer to the other is trying to pull him back so to speak or slow the other car down using the aero affect of the air. Just keep her steady eddie n take your time getting to your destination and you'll be fine. Don't mind the speed demons out there.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 21DK -sold
2016 Grey Wolf 29BH
skidog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, towing