Old 08-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

First time towing HTT

Ok, we are on our maiden voyage in our Hybrid Travel Trailer. I have the WDH and the sway bar. I was really taken back by how much the thing threw me around. Is this normal? I had the sway bar snug and the turned it tight after being thrown around. I started off going 70 mph but backed off to about 65. Does anyone have any tips for me?
Also, my trans temp was at about 215 the whole time. And if I used the cruise the RPM was right around 3,000. Is this normal?
Thanks for the help! We have another 5 1/2 hrs on the road tomorrow.

Me, DW, our 3 sons and DD on the way
2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2007 Chevy Tahoe V8

Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #2

My recommendation----SLOW DOWN!!!!!
Beyond that--what is the towing capacity of your Tahoe? Are you sure you have the trailer/Tahoe both level. Were you towing in overdrive? If in overdrive there's a pretty good chance your transmission will get hot! Were your Tahoe tires inflated to take the weight of the Roo? Car and SUV tires have a lot of flex in the sidewall and that can result in an unstable feeling while towing. Have you weighed the Tahoe front & rear axles with the Roo attached? How about the Roo axle weight while attached to the Tahoe. As you can see, there's a lot of things can result in a feeling of being thrown around. Also, not knowing if you've towed a significant sized trailer before, you may be experiencing a very normal situation as there's definitely a different feeling when you tow a TT.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

Not normal to be "Thrown around" You will feel a cross wind and you will feel large/fast vehicles pass you, but you should not be thrown around. Sound like you have a friction sway control and load level system. How the load system is set may have something to do with it. I have never used that type of system, so I can't offer you any advise on that setup, sorry.

My 03 5.3 V8 TrailBlazer runs around 2000 RPM when towing with cruise control.

I am much more comfortable towing at 65mph, and your trailer tires will thank you for it also.

Good luck and try to enjoy your trip.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

55 to 65 is good. I usually don't go above 60. No need to get somewhere 20 minutes sooner with less fuel in the tank. Plus, trailer tires are only rated at 65mph max.

There are a few good points on the comments above. Make sure you have good tires on your Tahoe. That makes a huge difference in the jello feeling.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
. Make sure you have good tires on your Tahoe. That makes a huge difference in the jello feeling.
Very good point. I am on my second set of Goodyear Wranglers and they have a better feel than the orig. factory tires. makes the ride a bit stiffer when not towing, but not so that it's bad. Much better when towing.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMastaD View Post
Ok, we are on our maiden voyage in our Hybrid Travel Trailer. I have the WDH and the sway bar. I was really taken back by how much the thing threw me around. Is this normal? I had the sway bar snug and the turned it tight after being thrown around. I started off going 70 mph but backed off to about 65. Does anyone have any tips for me?
Also, my trans temp was at about 215 the whole time. And if I used the cruise the RPM was right around 3,000. Is this normal?
Thanks for the help! We have another 5 1/2 hrs on the road tomorrow.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2007 Chevy Tahoe V8

I agree with the speed recommendations. Your trailer's tires are likely rated to 65.

You mention a WDH and sway bar and there are many types. Is this the kind of setup you're talking about in the picture below (with an independent friction sway control) or is yours an integrated WDH with sway built in like the Equal-i-zer?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1407003913.294723.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	59535

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #7

Well, we made it! I slowed down and I tightened the sway bar a little more. Still moved some, but not too bad. If you passed a Tahoe pulling a Roo in 95 today, that was me. I was living the life in the right lane. I kept it about 61 mph and I was a happy camper!
There was some cross wind yesterday and that may have been the difference. It really grew me about 20 minutes into the trip we went over the St Johns bridge in Sanford. I was all over the place! Today was good though. I am ready to tow this thing all across the country. I have a lot of states to fill on my map.
Thanks again for all the tips. I will check out some more of these things out when we get home to make the drive even more enjoyable.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2007 Chevy Tahoe V8
Old 08-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
You mention a WDH and sway bar and there are many types. Is this the kind of setup you're talking about in the picture below (with an independent friction sway control) or is yours an integrated WDH with sway built in like the Equal-i-zer?
Attachment 59535

This is exactly the set up we have.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2007 Chevy Tahoe V8
Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Glad to hear your getting things sorted out. Camping/RV'ing is a great lifestyle and you can now fill in those States on your travel map. Be safe!!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMastaD View Post
This is exactly the set up we have.

Good to hear your trip is going better now.

Since you are using a WDH with independent sway, you could also consider adding another sway bar if you feel that one is not enough.

Also, make sure your tongue weight is correct and the hitch is adjusted to distribute accordingly. A short wheel base truck is more susceptible to being blown around if the front of the truck is too light or feels floaty. I've often had to adjust the hitch distribution itself to get a more comfortable ride.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, towing