Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #1

Florida camping in the summer

Well, we went to Turtle Beach this weekend. Our site was cozy and I enjoyed the tropical foliage and the look of the park. Our neighbors were fine, for the most part, and thankfully since you are really close in there. I actually enjoyed the park more than the beach. On Saturday evening, we had a really good downpour and after that it was unbearably muggy. On Sunday, I didn't even leave the camper except to briefly walk out to the beach. We stayed long enough for the canvas to dry out then headed home.

We had purchased an extra night in order to stay late, but left due to a family medical issue, so overall my viewpoint of this trip wasn't great at all, but I think it was me more than anything else.

I don't know when we'll camp again, anyone in the area planning anything ~ I'm sure in a few weeks we'll need to get away for a bit~~~

Til then, Ms Roo is comfortably tucked under her carport ~~~~ waiting ~~~

Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #2

Yeah, Fla camping can be tough during the summer. We stayed at Madiera Beach-St. Pete last July and you could set your watch by the afternoon T-storms rolling thru. One winter we're gonna snow bird down there for 60 days or so just for a break from the brutal New England winter.

1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #3

Summer is hibernation time. We have a trip to Fort De Soto the end of the month, and then to the Keys the 4th, only because we'll be on the water so we'll have breezes. But that's IT until October, and then it's on again! We'll be at Disney the first weekend.

Last year, our last trip was a stop at Fort De Soto in June. But I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else after May.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

The key to summertime camping here in Florida is finding the breeze! Our summer schedule is Long Key at the end of June and in August and Gamble Rogers for the 4th. We won't go back to the woods until the end of September at the earliest.
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

Agreed ~ even being on the beach it was just plain muggy! I was curious about Long Key so I attempted to look it up and ran into a posting on youtube apparently someone went to the effort of posting each campsite there along with the phenomenal views! How cool is that? Thinking maybe I should be using that as a resource when I book campsites
Old 06-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #6

Our Florida "hibernation time" last 3 weeks at a time and camping we go! Going to the campgrounds is "our relax time" one weekend a month. If it is too hot, to the springs we go, no complaints here, we get any chance we can to go camping all year round!!! 25 years to retirement and I can't wait! lol.
http://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #7

Taking our first LONG camping trip in less than two weeks to Hillsborough River State Park. Plan to be there four nights, and really looking forward to it. Our granddaughter, who is 8, lives in Clearwater with her mother, and won't be able to come up this summer, so we are going down to see her.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

As a 4th generation Floridian, IMO, camping here is better when it is cool. You can camp all year around in middle or south Florida, but it does get cold sometimes in north Florida. The farther south you go the more humid it gets, but if are on the water, like dkb74 and others point out, the breezes can make a huge difference. I would recommend everyone has a screened tent for the picnic table and bring electric fans and of course plenty of mosquito repellant. We just stayed 3 nights at Kathryn Abbey Hanna at Neptune Beach (Jacksonville). It is a city owned park and maintenance is lacking; plus some sites are hard to get into and with almost no place to park the TV, but with a nearly private strip of beach within about 1/2 mile, it isn't bad. Plus, they just build a really nice water park for the little ones. I think they open the water park only on Sat / Sun, but not real sure. Morning about 70 degrees; high 80s ... bumping 90s already... during the day... the humidity in high 90s and the bugs do come out, especially at dusk. We are going to try Little Talbot next time and I still want to spend a few days at Pelican's Roost (on the base at Mayport). My next outing will be as a volunteer at Lover's Key... its a day use area with picnic tables, beach and boat ramps. Happy camping!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #9

We returned home from our FL trip yesterday. Although we were only there 4 nights, we had absolutely beautiful weather while we were there. It was in the high 80's & low 90's, and the only memorable rain was over with in about 2 hours. There were storms all around us, but we managed to miss most of them. We went to Clearwater beach one day, and were really worried about he weather, but when we pulled up you could see the rain to our south, and clouds to our north, and everything just seemed to open up to clear sky within 15 minutes of our arrival. We spent almost all of our time outdoors, except when we were sleeping. With the aid of bug spray, shade, and a smokey fire at night, everything was great! Hope to do it again next year.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote