Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

Fold out beds rotting

I have a 2004 Shamrock 21SS. Both beds on the ends are de-laminating and one is totally rotten and broken. Can these be repaired or is the best bet to replace them? Where can I find replacement parts?
NHGumby68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your problems.

Seems like it's a common problem with hybrids with water leaks around the fold out beds or even excessive condensation being a possible cause. I believe that they can be replaced with an improved set-up...here's a thread with more info.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sue-25691.html

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
Engineer of Crazy Train

I am in the same boat. This last trip, I noticed my bunk end (I only got one up front) was getting soft by the hinge and I had some delamination in that area. I think I will talk to my dealer and see how much this winter to change it out.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #4

Be prepared

I've already emailed Forrest River and their solution is to replace the entire bunk door system. They did not recommend trying to fix just the bad section. I've requested a diagram of the doors construction so I can see whether it's something I can repair, but so far no response on that request. Hopfully they'll send me something other than the door consists of styrofoam sandwiched between two pieces of 1/8" plywood with fiberglass on the outside within an aluminum frame. That's what I have received so far along with their recommendation to replace both doors.
I've read on this forum and others on the Internet that this is a common problem for hybrids across all manufactures. Makes no sense to me.
Snowman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #5

Replacing

I am going to purchase replacement bunk ends. $370 each plus shipping.
NHGumby68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

I have had the same issue. 1 year ago my friends got up in the morning and the bed fell off from the hinge because it was rotten and the alluminum frame let broke. I took it appart which was fairly easy and cut out the rotten part. I took the fram to have the front alluminum bar welded back onto the fram. i then replaced the plywood foam sandwich portion that i had cut out and put back togeather. Then last year same thing but on the other bed. This time i did the same but since i did not like the welding job that was done I bout L brackets and screwed the piece back to the frame. I would say it is a 100 times stronger than the 5 little welds they put originally. I wish i had taken pictures as i did this just this weekend.
smercier is offline   Reply With Quote