Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #1

Forest River HTT Bunkend Field Fix Kit

Hi all,

Just wanted to make you aware of a free Bunkend Field Fix Kit which Forest River is sending these days. The fix kit is meant to fix the leaky bunkdoors which some of us "lucky" campers have experienced (how did I draw the short straw).

Anyways, the kits adds a seal to the bunkend door, and if needed replaces the hinges, and lower bunkend U-Channel (while adding an new seal), and also has a replacement for the rubber dam which attached to the bed and the TT. In my case, I just added the bunkdoor seals and hope that fixes everything since the other components are still in good shape.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know. Contact Gregg Rollins at the following email address if you have a leak problem: grollins@forestriverinc.com
2011 Ford F150 (XLT) (5.0L 4x4)
2003 Shamrock 25BH
RetiredNavy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #2

Thats good info thanks for sharing. It will benefit a lot of people and if possible post some pics of the fix helps a lot
Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Site Team

congrats on getting yours.

my dealer is still waiting for mine to come in. FR sent the wrong kit when the dealer requested the kit you have. FR apparently just sent new rubber seals, not the full kit.
my dealer is still waiting for Gregg to get the kits shipped.
this was supposed to be fixed when my Roo was still under warranty. since FR sent the wrong kit, my dealer is supporting me and fought FR to get the correct kits sent.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #4

Good post!

thanks for the info
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #5

Here is a link to the pictures and instructions which came with the kit I mentioned. I had found the link initially through RV.NET but Forest River sent me the same exact pictures in a follow on email.

I did not replace the hinge or U-Channel yet. I only added the seal to the bunkend door. In the picture you will see a black seal but the one which comes with the kit, at least in my case, was white.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NickYann...82801832177170
2011 Ford F150 (XLT) (5.0L 4x4)
2003 Shamrock 25BH
RetiredNavy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
endeavor to persevere

I need some help guys. They sent me a kit today for my 2005 21SS.

I received three white seals that go on the outside edges of the bunk door.

Two black rubber seals.

One white channel thats different from the one on my camper.

One flat white hinge with sealer on one side only.

One large piece of white rubber that goes between the door and camper shelf.

Did not get any trim to hold the rubber seal to the camper shelf.

My hinge is much longer on one side than the other and is L shaped.

The hinge mounting surface on my camper slopes down. It is not flat. Should I use the flat hinge it will reposition my door down and it will not fit the hole any more.

My rear door has a flat hinge but my front bunk door is different.

Unless I.m missing something this kit will not work on my camper.

I e-mailed Greg but did not get an answer that made any sense.

Can any one that installed this kit help.

See pictures.

Thanks, Don

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t.../camper005.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t.../camper004.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t.../camper006.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t.../camper007.jpg

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t...wart01/001.jpg
Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
endeavor to persevere

Just got a reply from Forest River engineer, I do not use the flat hinge or the U channel on my Roo. I do use every thing else. I am removing my original hinge and replacing all the butyle plus adding some extra and re-caulking the bottom of the door and a few other places. Should fix my leaking.

Don
Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #8

Thanks for this post! I have a 2004 Surveyor that has a leaking front bunk. I have had it in for service for two months now and they haven't been able to fix it. Hopefully, this kit is available for my unit and will take care of the problem. I have sent this info to the dealer and sent Gregg an email as well.

Dave
GoinNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #9

I received a reply from Greg and he told me I need to contact Surveyor and provided me the number. The number he gave is for Forest River. Am I missing something? I have a 2004 Forest River Surveyor SV190T that has a leaking front bunk and was hoping that this Field Fix would work on my unit. If anybody knows, or can provide any additional information on who to contact to find out, please let me know.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
endeavor to persevere

Far as I know Greg is the warranty Guy for Forest River travel trailers. I gave him my serial # and the bunk door leak info and he had Tod Stringfellow send me the kit. I have a 2005 Rockwood Roo 21SS.

Greg Rollins--574-642-2640 ext-225
grollins@forestriverinc.com

Tod Stringfellow--parts--574-642-2640 ext 125
tstringfellow@forestriverinc.com

And your door is probably like mine, you will not need the U channel or the flat hinge, but you need the rest of the kit.

Plus I went to Lowe's and purchased a 96" piece of trim to hold down the rubber dam to the camper shelf.

Stopped by Family Campers and got two rolls of butyl rubber seal to seal the hinge real good

Went to a local hardware store and got a tube of GE butyl rubber caulk for sealing everything else on the door.

I hope to get this done tomorrow if it doesn't rain. It came a flood yesterday.

Don
Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #11

Thanks Don!
From the pictures you posted above, my door looks very similar to yours. I assume that this wouldn't covered under any type of warranty. Was yours? I just think that my rubber seal on the door itself needs to be replaced but, for some reason, the dealer seems to want to try everything else first. There is no other water damage or parts that appear to be bad, just water getting in along the top. I will get my serial # and try again to contact Greg to see if there are any parts or kits available. It just threw me for a loop when he told me to contact Surveyor when it was made by Forest River as was your Roo.

If you get it done, please post some pics.
Thanks!
Dave
Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
endeavor to persevere

Well things went down hill today. I took the door off to install the field fix kit, pulled the bottom flange and water has been getting in there for some time. Every thing wood is destroyed.

I guess tomorrow I will dissemble the frame and see if I can rebuild the core of if I will be needing a new one.

What luck,

Don
Old 07-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #13

Kit on 2004 Shamrock 25BH

Hey guys. Stumbled across this site, but I have gone thru exactly what you are.

Bought our 2004 Shamrock 25BH last year, with known water damage to front bunk door. Discovered the field fix kit and ordered it, but only changed the seals. Never looked at the hinge or U-channel. Decided to buy a new front bunk core from FR as I could see the original was delaminated. Put some new seals in over the winter, and this spring took original door off and put new one on (also switched over to new locking latches rather than screw type). At one point during install, I noticed the hinge and U channel in the kit were different than on my unit, and wondered if it was supposed to be different. But the new door they sent me had the old style (correct) hinge on it, so that's what I left on.

If you have not pulled the door apart yet, I can tell you mine had a thin wood layer which was damaged, and then styrofoam between aluminum channels. I think its possible to repair the door, to cut out the wood, and use a thin sheet of aluminum or lexan to take the place of the wood. I saved my old door in case I have to do it again some day.

We've been out in the NH rains the past week, and so far so good. Its the rainiest period we have EVER camped in.

The only issue I have not solved, and its not a problem yet, is how to manage water flow on the outside channel where the tent meets the seal. It runs down and seems to be directed right into the bed core, rather than outside. I managed to pull the tent ends out enough to prevent the water from coming into the bed area, but it does not seem robust enough. If anyone has solved this, let me know!

Bob
Bob Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
endeavor to persevere

What happens when water gets in the front bunk door.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #15

That looks bad. Think you can rebuild it?
Bob Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #16
endeavor to persevere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Langlois View Post
That looks bad. Think you can rebuild it?
I got one on oder from Forest River.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
endeavor to persevere

Well my new front bunk door came in today. Yea for me. I will be putting it on tomorrow. Now we can get back to camping.

I will be keeping an eye on this one for any water leakage. I got the new seals so maybe this will help.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #18

I had the "Bunk End Field Repair Kit" installed by my dealer. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful. I picked up my HTT from the dealer two weeks later and it just so happens that on this day we were having thunderstorms (thankfully).

However, after my hour long ride home I was welcomed with tons of water inside. However, in defense of the "Bunk End Field Repair Kits" and Forest River, I can't honestly say if they worked or not; because it was learned that my camper is defective and the top of the camper is bowed in.

My HTT is currently at and has been at the factory for a couple of weeks. Gregg Rollins is looking into it. I have only had this HTT for two months today, and it has already been out of my possession for more than a month (between dealer and factory).

My wife and I are new to RVing and we only had a PopUp for the two years prior to this purchase (limited camping in it). We never had a problem with the PopUp.

I am torn about this defective HTT. My wife and I love the floor plan of the 21ss, but don't know if we want this defective Roo back or if we should exchange for an enclosed TT. We are concerned and scared that we could be over a thousand miles away and this happen again. My wife and I have discussed with the dealer the possibility of exchanging into a 2501ss, instead of this 21ss. Having this camper only since 06/22 and it being out of my possession longer than with me has been quite upsetting as a new trailer owner.

This particular defective HTT has exhibited water issues when raining: While setting still (closed and parked), while traveling, and with the Bunk Ends open in the camping mode.

We'll see what Forest River and Gregg Rollins proposes. Hopefully this will be a happy ending and I will have a new camper soon, to be able to have a couple of trips with my family , before the end of the season.

I hope to be able to comment and praise Forest River on here, in regards to my situation; only time will tell.

Respectfully,

GoneRooing
4WallCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #19

Just bought a 2007 Shamrock 19 foot expandable and have the leaking front door along with the delaminating front bunk down by the hinge. I'm in the process of emailing Gregg Rollins photos and stuff. Does anybody know cost estimates of dealer installations before I drive 45 minutes to the closest dealer? I'm quite handy and have restored many portions of my house so I'm considering doing this myself. How much do the kits and door cost out of warranty?

Thanks so much for all the tips.

Andy
WebsterShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #20

bed end leaking

hi all i'm new to forum. just bought a 2010 shamrock 19 last friday. i was wondering if fr has made upgrades to the new modles as far as bunk leakage?

thanks
chris
chris sham19 is offline   Reply With Quote