Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Heat for 21SS/23SS

Folks,

I've been lurking here awhile and learning lots from all the info. Great site! My wife and are looking at a 2010 Shammy 21SS. I've noticed with the rear bunk, there is a narrow corridor between the bathroom and the opposite cabinet. Does this create a difference in the comfort level (heat/cool) from the rear bunk as compared to the front bunk? I assume the rear bunk may be cooler or hotter with less circulation area. Is this the case?

Thx!
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

We have a 23SS, which is similar to a 21SS with regards to the rear bunk. Our grand children call it the "cave". It does appear to be a bit more difficult to heat or cool, but totally uncomfortable.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #3

Talking

Thanks gbpacker,

I looked at the rear bunk as offering a little more privacy since we have 2 boys (3&10). But she pointed out that she would prefer the front bunk as this was further from the bathroom.. . I guess it's all about perspective.

Shane
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Team

yes you can assume that.
some 21SS/23SS owners have re-routed the heat duct back farther to provide more heat to the rear bunk.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

I have a 21ss and it has been my experience that if you are camping in either extreme, cold or hot, the furnace and ac are not very effective in the bunk ends. In the cold, the built in bed warmers are more effective for keeping you warm than the furnace. I even have 12 volt bed warmers (like truckers use in their cabs) for when we dry camp. The few times we have camped in high heat it was difficult to be comfortable in the bunk ends during the day, especially the rear bunk. At night it is better, especially with fans to pull the cool air into the bunk ends.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #6

We will be buying a 233S (hopefully) and I already plan on cutting in a quiet muffin fan near the ceiling of the bathroom through to the rear bunk. I will wire this to come on when the furnace runs and it will pull the heat from the bathroom (heat vent is in there at the floor level) back into the rear bunk. Might have to wire in a secondary relay to override/shut it off when the bathroom light is on. Don't really want to blow steam or stink back there ;-)
volts600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Canadian Member

Popup Gizmos and Reflectix can help in very hot or cold weather. We also have a micro furnace ceramic heater we use when we have an electric site. We run 12" fans, one at each bunk, to help with air movement when there's no breeze and at night when we close the windows in the bunks for privacy. The little ones that clamp on the shepherds poles don't move much air.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

I have a 23SS and we use a small electric heater + heated mattress in our rear bunk. There is a small 12"x12" open area behind the bathroom that I take the box the heater came in and put it there then put the heater on top of (to get the heat above blanket level). We just finished camping this weekend and it worked great. If it's real cold put the reflectix/space blanker/pop-up gizmos inside with silver facing inside will keep you toasty from what I hear.

The summer is a lot bigger problem for us (Texas). I've had to basically foil wrap (pop-up gizmos top and sides on outside silver facing out) my entire bunks to keep them livable (it's quite a sight)...even then the back bunk only gets comfortable after dark.

my experience with summer...up to 95-98 degrees just covering top of bunks with pop up gizmos works but over that I cover the sides too.
billybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #9

Thanks Billy!

Tags
23ss