Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

HOME ARMOR Mold Stain killer from HDepot

I renewed my stock bottle of Mold Stain remover at Home Depot today. I had gotten curious over the last year, thinking that all mold sprays were the same. I tried a Walmart house brand, and another brand that looked like it came from the same manufacturer (the bottle looked similar). But I thought I was not getting the same cleaning that I enjoyed with the Home Armor brand... so I tried a little experiment on the mold stained vinyl seats on my golf cart this evening. Earlier today I sprayed and wiped the badly stained area on the seat with both the Great Value brand and the MOLD ARMOR mold blocker.
Yes I see that it says Mold Blocker, not stain remover, but I tried it anyway. Neither touched the black mold stain on the heavy vinyl.

Tonite I sprayed two rather black areas on the golf cart seat. These stains were from last summer, as the cart sits out in the weather and the moist Ohio River valley I live near stays quite humid during the summer.

I think you can see the dramatic difference after one spray and 5 minutes, then another spray application and about 15 total minutes, with just a little wiping with a clean terry cloth.

I will ALWAYS recommend the Home Armor Brand from Home Depot to get rid of black mold stains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	139139   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	139140   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	139141   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	139142   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	139143  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #2

These are additional shots of the mold stained areas on my golf cart seats. I have used this brand mold stain spray on my previous popup and my current Shamrock hybrid tent ends with great success. Total time was about 15 minutes from start to finish.

I hope this helps someone get rid of their black mold stains.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	05.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	139144   Click image for larger version

Name:	06.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	139145   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	139146  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #3

Excellent review. Thank you for taking the time for the write up.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #4

RSDATA, thanks for the review. If I read correctly, the Mold Armor Mold Blocker didn't work but the Home Armor Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Killer did?

Are there are special instructions or tips you have you wouldn't mind sharing as to application of the stuff? Specifically, do you rinse afterwards and if so, how?

My problem is the bunk end canvas on my 2012 Roo 21SS. It didn't survive winter storage very gracefully.

Thanks,
Tom
Spacecrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing! Good info to know
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

The Home Armor brand from Home Depot did the job. There are several types, including a blocker, in this brand line, but this review was for the 2X spray cleaner product in the picture. Price is in the $5 range, so inexpensive to try.

Most of the pictures were taken before and 5-10 minutes after a spray application with no wiping. The last pictures of the seat and back rest were after 2 applications and a wipe off.

I follow instructions on the bottle. Spray, let alone 5-10 minutes, then wipe. The black mold disappears before your eyes. Might need second application. I use a damp white terry rag to wipe. I rinse it out when it gets dirty. I usually follow up with 303 Protectant on the outside vinyl. I do nothing special to the canvas window areas other than to let it air dry. I seem to always do this on bright sunny days and a little breeze helps as this product has a strong bleach odor.

I always have a bottle in my Shamrock. Bunk ends almost always get damp overnight under the outside flaps. We camp in humid areas always, i.e. Florida, Ohio, KY, Smokeys... The stitch threads turn black very quickly. I spray this on whenever I am cleaning the bunks which I try to do every 1-2 or 3 weeks of camping. Inside and out wherever mold stains appear. My Shamrock camper turns 3 years old this month, and I have used this product since my pop-up days prior to the hybrid.

Watch what you are wearing and the bed sheets as it will bleach out your clothes if you get contact with the liquid.

I have used the blocker product... but I think it might get washed off in the rain... I'm not sure of it's effectiveness.

Tom, I hope this helps you out... I would certainly give it a try on your bunk end.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #7

Thanks, I'll be heading to Home Depot tomorrow morning. It was the side flaps of my rear bunk that are awful. Front not so bad, but it is more open and we have a rack there as kitchen food/equipment storage, so we need the back bunk to sleep in. I'll try to upload pics of the sides and back. The back panel survived just fine. It was the side panels, cloth not vinyl, that took a beating over the winter.

Well, when I try to add photos, I get asked for a URL. I just took them with my camera, but believe me, they are pretty bad.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Well, when I try to add photos, I get asked for a URL. I just took them with my camera, but believe me, they are pretty bad.
rather than using the photo icon, try the paper clip icon... that way it will ask you to find the location you saved the photos and you can upload from your device...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Name:	IMG_3746[1].jpg
Views:	366
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	139218

Name:	IMG_3747[1].jpg
Views:	370
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	139219

Name:	IMG_3748[1].jpg
Views:	417
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	139220

Pretty bad stuff. Not sure I want to put my head anywhere near this. Funny thing is the mattress is fine.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
rather than using the photo icon, try the paper clip icon... that way it will ask you to find the location you saved the photos and you can upload from your device...
Well that worked just fine. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #11

Be sure to post some AFTER photos... I'm sure you will be pleased... I would purchase two bottles of the stuff so you won't run out. Sunny breezy day the best to do this work.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-28-2017, 05:52 AM   #12

RSData
You seem to have a good eye for these simple fixes, who'd have thought. I was at HD yesterday, but now I'll go back. I don't have a mold issue, but will want to be prepared for when I do.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #13

SUCCESS!

My local HD didn't have any Home Armor so I bought two different mold and mildew stain removers. I figured if they didn't work I'd drive to the nearest HD.

As it turned out, they worked fine. Here are pictures of the two items I bought (one Fantastic and one ZEP) and the results. The gray on the left side on one of the panels is a shadow from a tree, but still, there were a few spots that didn't come clean, either because the area was hidden behind a flap or because that area was exceptionally bad and needed help. I squirted both inside and out after first doing just the inside and realizing the outside also had stains after the inside was clean.

Instructions were marginal. Fantastic said to spray on and leave on until stains absorbed the liquid. Okay, and how long is that? Five minutes? An hour? I left it on until I was afraid it would dry (not likely as I DOUSED the panels).

ZEP did a better job with removing black dots; Fantiastic did better whitening the fabric. Initially I used Fantastic on one side and ZEP on the other. For the second washing, I switched. Wife is happy with results and so am I.

The Fantastic needed a lot of rinsing. It was VERY sudsy. I did the outside first with a hose and kept rinsing until run-off water was suds-free. Interestingly, after doing the outside the inside barely needed rinsing. I think the suds migrated to the outside even though no hose spray penetrated to the inside. Osmosis or wicking, whatever it was, it was effective.

Prior to clening, I cut an 8' by 10' piece of 3.5 mil plastic off a roll and laid it down on the bed floor. I lifted the vinyl sides a bit and let the plastic overlap the bed platform to allow drips to run out of the camper.

The smell during cleaning was VERY strong. It dissipated rapidly after rinsing.

There are still some spots around the edges that need doing, which I'll do after I get some Home Armor to try that out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3749[1].jpg
Views:	526
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	139856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3760[1].jpg
Views:	552
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	139857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3761[1].jpg
Views:	378
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	139858  
Old 06-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #14

That looks great. Good job on the cleanup!
Old 06-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #15

Off to Florida for a month, so we'll see how long it stays clean

Seriously, this thread saved me thousands. We'd tried several things and none worked. My wife wanted a NEW TT, not a hybrid. She's okay now, but believe me, I'm on a cleaning jag to keep her satisfied. I like the hybrid because of more usable living space per foot towed.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #16

Put my vote in the Home Amor column. Worked amazingly well. I tried the camco mildew remover and it did ok on the easier spots but left the heavier stains. Home Armor took care of it with no scrubbing. It is bleach based, so watch for over-spray and don't let it sit too long.
chambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #17

Angry Black mold!

Hi we have a 2013 Roo Hybrid and the interior bunk ends are really bad this year. I have tried about every thing to clean them but with no luck.
The trailer is always vented in several places when sleeping, especially the bunk ends but for some reason it still molded. The top is a very textured material and the sides are a cloth fabric.
The vinyl bunk ends are a sealed unit so I am limited to what I can use. Any suggestions?
I posted some pics of my predicament.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14684CF3-9DFC-4C97-9B5B-ED7BB1117ADA.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	154805   Click image for larger version

Name:	03B2E06D-705E-4BE0-8EA2-7BE11BA5AD6D.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	154806   Click image for larger version

Name:	B462E30E-BD7F-498E-88CE-8E746B140C84.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	154807  
Shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #18

Shandy...

the answer is HOME ARMOR black mold stain killer from Home Depot... this whole thread is about using that product to fix the exact problem you are showing.
See the first picture in post #1... other products do not measure up.

Be prepared to saturate the canvas and let it air dry on a bright breezy day. The mold will disappear before your eyes in about 10 minutes. Also works on the vinyl... just spray and wipe off the residue in about 5 minutes.

Reread POST #6 please

This is a bleach based product so do not get it on the mattress, sheets or your clothes.

Then you will have to re-waterproof the canvas sections with a waterproffing spray available in the camper sections.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #19
Senior Member - Retired

Just checked HD website. Only Home Armor product I see is a house wash. Most mold cleaning and eradication products on HD website are called Mold Armor.

Perhaps it is a California thing.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
Just checked HD website. Only Home Armor product I see is a house wash. Most mold cleaning and eradication products on HD website are called Mold Armor.

Perhaps it is a California thing.
They changed the name for some reason. The bottle looks exactly the same, but it is now called Home Armor. Link to their website is below:

Home Armor

They make a non bleach formula you can try first, but when nothing else works, the bleach based Home Armor is the way to go. I've used it on our Roo with good results. When using it on the inside, open things up and take the bedding completely off the bed. Spray it on and rinse/wipe it off as best you can after it sits for a few minutes. I used it on the cloth sides as well. Got the mildew out, but also made the cloth much less water resistant, so I had to re-treat those areas with Scotchguard waterproofing spray. Of the vinyl canvas portions, this stuff should clean it right up without any additional issues.

And then make sure you use PUGS or more ventilation to eliminate condensation on the inside of the tent ends if you aren't all ready. This can be a big cause of the mold/mildew.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold