Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #1

How do I jack it up to change a tire?

It occurred to me that the useless FR manual makes absolutely no mention of changing tires. With dual axles and the torsion bar suspension I'm sure there are a lot of WRONG ways to jack it up.

What type of jack? Bottle, scissors, something else?
Where does it go?

Oh ... if it matters, it's a 2008 Shamrock 19'
Old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:36 AM   #2

This may answer your question. CLICK HERE
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Site Team

Mike's link is good. I have 2 sets of Lynx Levelers and I make a ramp of them and drive the good tire up on it. I also have a 12 ton bottle jack just in case.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you!
Great ideas, and it actually looks easy!

Suprisingly enough, I also got an email answer from Gregg Rollins at FR. He said to only jack on the frame, NEVER on the axles.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #5

Hmmm, I jack it up by calling the Automobile Association.

When we arrived at a campsite this summer my dear wife noticed a nail sticking out of one of my tires, and it was getting low. So I called AMA (AAA for my American friends).

I pay for the extra RV coverage, might as well use it eh?

BTW they came to the campsite (about a hour from nearest AMA service centre) but did not bring a socket that would take off my trailer tires (seems they do not use regular lugs). It was dark by then so he left it jacked up and said he could come back in two hours and fix it that night if we wanted to. We said tomorrow would be fine. We were not going anywhere. Next morning, bright and early he was back with the proper tool.

One thing I did learn beside the odd socket thing; the trailer tires off my Rockwood will not go onto the spare tire carrier on the back, good thing there was space in my truck to haul the regular tire into the tireshop for repair.

And, I have since added that socket to my on board tool box, just in case.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Kent Dad View Post
Hmmm, I jack it up by calling the Automobile Association.

When we arrived at a campsite this summer my dear wife noticed a nail sticking out of one of my tires, and it was getting low. So I called AMA (AAA for my American friends).

I pay for the extra RV coverage, might as well use it eh?

BTW they came to the campsite (about a hour from nearest AMA service centre) but did not bring a socket that would take off my trailer tires (seems they do not use regular lugs). It was dark by then so he left it jacked up and said he could come back in two hours and fix it that night if we wanted to. We said tomorrow would be fine. We were not going anywhere. Next morning, bright and early he was back with the proper tool.

One thing I did learn beside the odd socket thing; the trailer tires off my Rockwood will not go onto the spare tire carrier on the back, good thing there was space in my truck to haul the regular tire into the tireshop for repair.

And, I have since added that socket to my on board tool box, just in case.
GREAT IDEA! We also pay extra for the RV coverage, but I WILL make sure I have the proper tool for my trailer's tires.

Tags
shamrock