Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
how long to set up and tear down camp

curious as to long it takes others to set up their site from the time you back in until you are sitting in a chair. i averaged 45 min to an hour with the pop up and am hoping to reduce that remendously with the new Roo.

Kevin, Meg and DDx2
2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2004 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 3.73 4x4
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Days Camped 2013 = 9 planned before April 1st
Local Ohio CGs - Punderson SP and West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
time to enjoy a cigar

we can be
hooked back up
and on the road home in 1/2 hour
that is too much of a rush on everyone
45 to 60 minutes
gives me time to enjoy a cigar
and say bye to our spot

Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Too many variables to put an exact time on it. How level is the site, and can you get backed in? Can you read the levels and know how many blocks to put under the wheels first try? Do the power, sewer, and water hoses reach, or do you have to get out the extensions? Chairs, tables, awning mats, awnings, grills, etc., all take time to set up. With a bigger trailer, you will haul more stuff. Are you counting the time for the satellite television, if you have one? You will also have a weight distribution hitch I assume, takes a little more time.

I have a toy hauler, two motorcycles. on board. We stop, unload the bikes in the road, and I usually use back in sites. Then back in, get sideways level with boards. Then unhook, and store weight bars, etc. Level front to rear with the tongue jack. Crank 4 stabilizer jacks, then power and water. Meanwhile wife is inside camper doing her thing. Next is the awning, weather permitting, then the awning mat. Then out come the chairs, etc. Last I hook the sewer, because we can make it a night or two before needing it to dump. On average, 1.5 hours, but I have 2 motorcycles to get unstrapped and unloaded. You will probably find that your time will not be much faster than with a pop up, and maybe a little longer, due to leveling and backing issues. It will get faster, as you get used to it, but why rush. You can stop and have a beer anytime, then resume where you left off. Besides, it's time away, so enjoy.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Granted I may take longer than most 1-2 hours but then I hate to leave. If rushed I could break camp in 30 min. but once home would have to redo some of the stuff.
3500 Ram 5.9l diesel
08 35 RLT Cardinal
5th Airborne Pin Box
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
I guess it depends on when you consider yourself "set-up". Being an older couple, we can be livable in 15 minutes (level, hooked to power and water, and slides out). But, being older we carry a lot of stuff that needs tending to... rope lights, recliners, awning mat, solar lights, whirly gigs, you have been by sites like ours... you have seen all the stuff us oldies pack. Now to get all that stuff out and set-up is an hour+ task.
2011 Ram Truck 2500, Crew Cab, 6.7L CTD, 4X4, 3.73 Rear
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
My DW just bought some whirly gigs on our last outing to add to MY packing up...there goes another 5 minutes of time. Last trip I set it by myself, didn't take long once I got in the flow of things. I am trying to get a set routine established, then along comes a few more things. On the tear down I slowly start the night before, chairs stowed, Easy up...down and stowed. Just the bare essentials left to do the next morning.
2009 Palomino Puma 25RS
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
We have a strict list we follow but have never timed ourselves.
since we normally camp with friends we pick up some then socialize then pick up some then socialize you get the point.
The list is a must
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Mod free 5er
If we're on the road and just stop for the night, about 10 minutes as we don't even unhook. Just run the stab jacks down, hook elec & water, maybe get out 2 lawn chairs (depending on time we stop & weather). If we are stopping for 2 or 3 days, maybe 30-45 minutes. If for 1-3 weeks, it usually takes 1-2 hrs. Tear down after a week or more stay takes about 1-3 hrs, depending on if we are going home or to another cg. 1 hr if going to another cg and 2-3 hrs if we are going home as we take our time to make sure everything is stowed properly and in its place.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
I think it's a little hard to say. I had a cabover camper in the early seventies that required nothing more than parking the truck on a level piece of ground. Then I had a fifth wheel that could take up to an hour. It would depend on things like how many bicycles we brought and lawn chairs, grills, rocks and other souveniers we picked up, checking engine oil, tire pressure, cleaning windshield. Other times I could get the fifth wheel out in fifteen minutes. I have friends that camp and they spend a day or two packing and unpacking their camper before and after each trip. I try to get my wife to leave everything in the camper and treat it as a separate residence so it's always ready to go.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
I agree with the other posts. It all depends on what you mean by "set up." Does that mean that you're backed in, leveled, unhitched, landing gear down, plugged in, step out, slides out, pump on?

Or does that mean, backed in, leveled, unhitched, plugged in, landing gear down, jack stands under, step out, slides out, pump on, rugs out, lawn chairs out, picnic table awning out and set up, extra table put out, ice machine out, filled and plugged in, tablecloths put on outside tables, solar lights out, rv-q grill out and set up, awning out, lights on awning, outside garbage can set up, welcome sign out, thermometer out, shepherds hooks with hanging lanterns out, refrigerator bars removed from outside refrigerator, refrigerator bars removed from inside refrigerator, countertop extension installed, toilet paper holder out, liquid soap dispensers and towels hung up, water heater turned on, antenna up, television scanned for channels, and two cocktails mixed up so you can finally take a breather???

I'd say 20 minutes for the first scenario. 2 hours for the 2nd. Or three, depending upon when you do the last and final step, above.

2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote