Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The only Federal owned campground that does not allow soft sides @ Yellowstone is Fishing Bridge "RV Park" and it does not have anything to do with bears despite what the contractor . . .

This like almost all absolute statements is false. The NPs and some state parks react to current wildlife conditions. I have seen NPs and SP here (in CO) temporarily ban soft sided camping and tent camping based solely on wildlife activity. A case in point was Glacier's St. Mary campground was closed to soft sides in 2013.

There are of course some misinterpretations and poor wording that result in people thinking soft sides are banned. Jenny Lake in the Grand Tetons is one such where pop-ups are banned, but so are hard sides because it is tents only.

And, you can camp in a hybrid at Yellowstone's Fishing Bridge campground, BUT you cannot open the soft sides. There were several camping there this year when we visited that remained closed up. It just depends how much you want full hookups. They do try to point you to other campgrounds, though.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #22

One thing that people don't mention is that Fishing Bridge Campground in Yellowstone is the only campground with full hook-ups. That may weigh in on your decision as well.

I've stayed there and honestly there are nicer campgrounds in the park, they just don't have full hookups.

It's also one of the more centrally located campgrounds so getting to attractions from there takes less time.

If you've never been to Yellowstone, you learn real quick that it's a Huge park and takes quite a bit of time to drive through it.
p40whk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #23

It was 2 or 3 years ago but Rising Sun in Glacier NP was closed to all Non Hard sided campers due to bears. This is was temp restriction though.

I will say that the fear of Bears did allow me to upgrade to my TT though... My wife was terrified that a bear was gonna eat here while she slept in Glacier. I wasn't worried thought, I knew the steaks were in her Bag not mine.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #24
Site Team

There are many that feel that the Park wants to keep tenters and soft sided campers out of FB, so they can have more available sites for the bigger RVs that demand hookups and bigger sites.
FB is almost always sold out early, due to the high demand for hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #25

The simple fact is that the bears always hang around all the campgrounds. Where there's food these "garbage bears" will be due to careless campers. I live in the Eastern Sierra near Yosemite surrounded by dozens of campgrounds. If you want to spot bears, visit the campgrounds.��
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, hybrid